Does this job get easier with time?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by pinkcupcake90, Mar 19, 2017.

1. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Mar 19, 2017

Hi, everybody.

I'm a second year teacher who got hired through alternate route. I can't begin to tell you how much I love this job, but I. Am. Exhausted.

I actually have an anxiety disorder. I'm always worried about work, especially prepping the lessons. My goodness, I get so nervous in the morning before going to work because of the amount of prep I have to do.

Is it normal to feel anxious before going to work? Will I learn how to relax as I get more situated in this career? I kind of cry on Sunday nights because I'm not ready to face it all again. I love this job so much, but it's so much work and I don't sleep well because all I can think about is school. :(

Help!

newbieeducator likes this.
  3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 19, 2017

YES!! It does get easier over time, year and after year.
    I was very anxious and nervous during student teaching. First year teaching much easier but it was a controlled environment (juvenile hall)
    Second year was really y first year at a court school (think inner city) very anxious for at least half of the year. Towards the end I wasn't, then I started worrying, like being superstitious, that if I don't anxious in the morning, something will go wrong.
    Following year much more confident, and last year +this year I'm very confident and comfortable. For some people this can take or more time but I guarantee you that experience does make it easier.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2017

You'll gain confidence in areas, hopefully raise your expectations in other areas, so while it might seem at times like it isn't getting better, it's simply that your expectations in yourself are higher.

I'm miles better than my first year, differentiating tons more, yet still feel just as frustrated with myself at times. Keep a growth mindset in mind, always look for ways to improve, but acknowledge that as much as you can so it doesn't destroy you.

As I tell my kids almost daily: celebrate the successes, own the mistakes, and actively work to improve upon those mistakes - that's life - for 4th graders, as teachers, and for humans in general.

creditcard and pinkcupcake90 like this.
  5. rpan

rpan Companion

Mar 20, 2017

I'm in my 6th year and it does get easier, but I'm still exhausted with the marking, prep work etc. but the experience does help you to deal with everything you need to and it wasn't until after my third year that I've felt confident in myself and my abilities and also the experience helps you do prep work, marking etc. quicker. one thing though, you have to have some separation or you won't last the distance. I work as late as i need to at school but i never take work home. I need the mental break or I'd break down.

pinkcupcake90 likes this.
  6. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

It will get easier. I have an anxiety disorder too, so I get where you are coming from. Try not to bring to much work home with you so you have time to relax and do things you enjoy. Not every lesson will be perfect. Make notes about what works and what doesn't. And remember what you said...you love the job. Focus on that. It's what helps me.

7. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Mar 20, 2017

You guys are so wonderful. Thank you so much.

I gotta be honest with you. I've been going through a really hard time. So much loss and devastation. I try so hard to put a smile on my face for my students.

I do love this job, more than anything in the world. I love talking people's ears off about books, and I love working with kids. I'm just exhausted.

My spring break begins on April 8, and I'm taking a vacation. I hope it will do me some good. I just hate myself for not being the perfect teacher. It's my second year, but I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. :(

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 20, 2017

Yay, vacation! Boo, self-effacing! NOBODY is the perfect teacher. You need to be open to growth and change, especially early in your career. If it makes you feel better, I'm in my eighth year and still occasionally wake up in the middle of the night with a bad case of the Whatifs. The difference now is that it happens less often and I can reason myself back to sleep much more easily.

Teacher0909 and pinkcupcake90 like this.
  9. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Mar 20, 2017

It does get easier every year. I'm in my 8th year and feel like I've reached "peak easiness." This doesn't mean I coast every day on my lessons; rather, I am at the point where I can anticipate problems, misconceptions, sticking points, etc. As a result, student frustration remains at a minimum, there is a strong level of trust on the part of my students that I'm doing what's best for them, and I don't get in a tizzy when a test or quiz average is low (I already know which assessments are historically the hardest for students). I love going to work every day and feel energized in the classroom. I have streamlined my lesson plans, activities, and assessments to an extremely efficient point.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Mar 20, 2017

It will get easier! You will find ways to grade less, teach with some of the same plans, organize better, and generally get a better handle on the job. Especially, if you continue to teach the same subject, you will become more confident in your competence and delivery.
    As far as your anxiety, as things get easier to teach and you feel more competent in your abilities, the anxiety should lesson.
    Enjoy your well deserved vacation!!

11. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Mar 20, 2017

Thank you so much, everybody! Your responses made me sigh with great relief. I am so grateful for you all. It's amazing, I feel like I have grown so much since last year, but there is so much that I still want to learn. I guess I just have to continue to grow. :)

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 20, 2017

Please, PLEASE try to avoid being so hard on yourself. Work on making Pink a happier person (being in counseling is already making this easier), and then Ms. Cupcake with shine through as the stellar educator she was born to be. For the record, this is pretty much what my own AP told me (that when Cat is okay, Mrs. Fiddle is unstoppable).

13. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Mar 21, 2017

I find things have gotten easier overall as a teacher because I have more classroom activity ideas and have a better sense of student types and how to individuate to individual student needs. That said, I think much of one's sense of comfort and happiness regardless of the length of experience lies in being in a school with a supportive headmaster and fellow teachers, where one feels support, and motivated, positive students with supportive parents. I think that even experienced teachers would find it hard to relax in a school that lacked most of these factors.

creditcard likes this.
  14. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

Mar 21, 2017

I'm in the middle of my 2nd year, and I've felt some moments that made me think I was in over my head. It's getting easier everyday for me, and it will for you too. My partner teacher last year was really bad, so I was kind of on my own for most of the year. My partner teacher this year is SO much better, and she's been a huge help to me. There are still times when I feel overwhelmed, but I also feel so much more on top of things this year. I'm sure at the beginning of next year, I'll be more on top of things. I've been making a little journal of things I want to do for next year that I've noticed I didn't do very well this year. Maybe that will help you too, just to get things written down where you can get some thoughts organized.

Caesar753 likes this.
  15. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 21, 2017

I've taught for a few years now and can remember feeling nervous in the morning and prepping lessons. It does get better. One thing that helped me remedy the nervousness of the mornings was to come up with a routine that I was comfortable with and to stick with it no what matter what. I'm not sure what grade or subject you teach, but try to find resources to incorporate in your preps that the students can use that can also become routine. (I can try to give you specific ideas if you'd like.) Don't put all of the work on yourself, allow yourself to be the facilitator sometimes. I hope you have a great year. I can tell you're going to be a wonderful teacher!

16. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Mar 22, 2017

Your post made me cry. Thank you so much for your sweet words. I'm falling apart. I'm a high school English teacher with freshmen and sophomores, and I am having so much trouble every single day. What's worse is that I am alternate route, so I have no prior teaching experience. I don't know what the principal saw in me, but she hired me. :(

MetalTeacher likes this.
  17. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 22, 2017

Then remember that the principal saw something in you! I can tell you care a lot about teaching and about your children and that you're driven to be the best educator you can be.

18. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Mar 22, 2017

My first year after my first observation, I was in my principal's office for the post observation meeting. I mentioned that I was nervous and he said that there was nothing to be nervous about because if he didn't think I could do it be never would have hired me. I'm sure your principal would tell you something similar. Keep your head up. You got this!

19. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Mar 22, 2017

You guys are so wonderful. Thank you so very much. :)

I think I'm just ready for spring break. I want to recharge and reboot so I can come back and teach Gatsby to my kids. :)

catnfiddle likes this.
  20. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Mar 23, 2017

You're very welcome! I'm also an English teacher. I teach 9th and have taught 10th. It can be challenging, but like the others have said, you are more than capable. You have to do what works for you. Find your style of teaching, your methods. There might be ideas from others that you like, but if you need to tweak them to make them comfortable for you, then go for it. Do whatever works best for you and your students. One more thing; don't forget to give yourself credit for your effort and hard work! Keep up the good work. We're here for you. (I'm also thankful for the advice I get too!!!)

21. creditcard

creditcard New Member

Mar 23, 2017

Hi Guys,
    Well come to forum site.i am like this A to Z Teacher Stuff site.we actually have an anxiety disorder. we always worried about work, especially prepping the lessons. I goodness, I get so nervous in the morning before going to work. so all because of the amount of prep I have to do.

.............................................................................

MAGNETIC SCIENCE FUN

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017