Does it get better?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mom2sands, May 13, 2011.

1. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

May 13, 2011

This year has been horrible. I have some kids with major issues and I am fearful of what next year might bring. I thought it would be better after spring break, but it's worse. My kids are at their worst. I am worn out and feel like I'm having an outer-body experience most days. I will be so glad when the school year's over, but I dread what's coming down the pike for next year! I was taught POSITIVE DISCIPLINE in school, but it doesn't seem to work its wonders in my classroom!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 14, 2011

It's bizzare, isn't it, how some year there just seems to be something in the water??

Some years you end up with a group of kids willing to do whatever you ask. You feel like a combination of Mary Poppins and Maria Von Trapp as you spread joy and education wherever you go.

Then, after a lovely summer, you return to school to a different set of kids. And the gloves are off from the very start. There is no "honeymoon period"--it's like Divorce Court from the very first minute.

So my answer is: Yes, it WILL get better. I'm not sure how much experience you have, but I can promise you that the lessons you've learned from the rough years will make the subsequent years far easier to handle.

(Oh, and regardless of the group, this time of year is the roughest stretch!! Hang in there!!!)

4. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

May 14, 2011

The last few weeks of school is always a tough time of year. The kids are done, the parents are done and the teachers are done! Everyone is ready for summer. I don't think there was a teacher in my building that would say that their kids were well behaved last week. Believe me, its not just your class.

The good news is that summer is almost here and next year you get a fresh start. Every year will bring challenges, but at least they are new and different challenges. No matter how tough of a year I have had (and I have had my fair share!), I always come back in September rested and ready to go. I think one of the best things about teaching is that you always get a fresh start every year.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

May 15, 2011

I agree, after spring break, things can get tricky... while I don't LOVE it, I usually do some sort of goal for the class... this year we have a fish tank (I drew it on the board) and every AM or PM they get through without any major behavior issues, I add a fish. It's not so easy for them... after 10 fish, we'll have a party. I was planning a party anyway in a few weeks, but they don't need to know that. :)

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 15, 2011

Oh boy, am I glad to hear that! It was one tough week last week, but we did have an absolutely fabulous Thursday and Friday- but man Monday through Wednesday was rough. I felt like I was in a zoo. Yikes, it was tough. I was happy to learn the entire building was jumping- it was not just me and my class. Whew- what a relief! I love knowing it is NOT just me.

Oh, I love that fish tank idea! How great!
    I will have to tweak it though for an ice cream party. I'll draw and ice cream cone and add a scoop for each day. We will be making our ice cream sometime during the first week or so of June. So we will need to earn one scoop for every child- so I can start it that many days before our ice cream day. Yay! Thanks for the idea!

7. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

May 20, 2011

Thanks everyone! I hope I have that honeymoon feeling come September. I sure have learned alot this year. I wish that I could just teach and not have to deal with all the other junk--the paperwork and the discipline, wouldn't that be an ideal teacher's life? This is only my third year teaching, but I can sure see how teachers become burned out. Some days I wonder, "did I do the right thing by going back to school for this?"

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 22, 2011

I have had some tough classes in my 10 years and usually do some type of behavior thing that halpey does after spring break.
    I have a GREAT class this year but this past week was tough b/c of the weather they never got to go outside for recess. Hang in there. I have had two pretty good classes in a row and concerned what could come next year!

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 22, 2011

My wonderful group has been a bit restless since returning from spring break. But, I think I am too. Unfortunately, we still have 6 weeks left.

10. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 3, 2011

Sometimes I have great classes for several years in a row, but then I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop--in other words, they can't all be wonderful years. Hang in there, it seems to always to get better.

11. pianowoman41

pianowoman41 New Member

Jun 3, 2011

I have had four bad years. Don't get me wrong...there have been some great kids in those classes. However, the classes in general have been loud and hyperactive. This year's group had 15 out of 21 that were over the top! I managed to keep my sanity, but I would be lying if I said I'd be okay with another loud group. I hope to have a calmer group next year! I hear ya!
    Maggie

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 11, 2011

I'm ready for break, the kids are ready for break. It's either been very hot or cold. Can't wait for this year to end.

When I've had a rough day (or 2) it's always nice to know that other teachers in the building are having a rough time also. Sometimes, it's just in the air.

13. sateacher

sateacher New Member

Jun 12, 2011

Hi There!I'm from South Africa and our academic year is a bit different than yours as our year run from January to December with holidays in between.I am so glad to see that most teachers feel the same.Just before a holiday will start at the end of each term - we have all our teachers complaining about the children. I have 30 children in my class and the noise level get sometimes a bit too much for me!By the time I get home I want no noise around me!We have 8 school days left before our next holiday of 3 weeks.I cannot wait!!

14. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Jun 12, 2011

mom2sands your post took the words right out of my mouth. I had to read your post to my husband because it sounded like me. This was my first year in Kindergarten and it has been tough. My classroom the last two weeks has been a zoo. On Friday after the kids were dismissed I shut my door, turned off my lights, grabbed a box of tissues and cried. The thing that has bothered me the most this year is that I have yelled in anger at my students. I am not a yeller and it makes me feel awful at the end of the day. We have two weeks left of school!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!! This summer I am reading and planning more strategies to conquer Kindergarten!