Does anyone use the Daily Five for Kindergarten?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mom2kkj, Jun 21, 2011.

1. mom2kkj

mom2kkj Rookie

Jun 21, 2011

There is a Daily Five workshop for Kindergarten that I am thinking about going to.
    Before I sign up, I would like to know what those who are using it think.
    My K is a 1/2 day....so I'm also wondering if this is something that can be implemented in a 1/2 day K.
    Thanks so much :)

3. Little Critter

Little Critter Rookie

Jun 22, 2011

I've used it for 2 years now and absolutely love it!! I would highly recommend going to the workshop. The first month is all about "training" the students to do everything independently. By Oct/Nov they are usually well on their way. Being half day should be okay. You don't necessarily have to do a Daily 5 each day. Some of my co-workers only get to a Daily 3 or 4. It just depends on the craziness of the day:)

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 23, 2011

I've used it for three years and love it!! I've modified it but its a great structure! It is definitely all about training the kids in the routines at the beginning! Once they know...it's a breeze!

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2011

I would love to give advice but I have never used the Daily Five...However, I have heard such great things about it that I bought both books to read over the summer! I think you should definitely go to the workshop, if nothing else you can get some good ideas!

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2011

I use Daily 5 in grade 2 and our K teacher uses it too with half days.

I went to the workshop and it was WELL worth it.
    I suggest reading the book first and if possible, trying a few of the ideas.

7. Penguin2

Penguin2 Rookie

Jul 5, 2011

I used Daily 5 in 1/2 day Kindergarten. I love it! I would definitely attend the workshop and read the book! Don't skimp on training the kids. It makes a huge difference in building their independence. I use it in my Centers. I have a Word Work Center, Writing Center, Read to Self Center, and Listen to Reading Center.

8. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Jul 5, 2011

I would agree with the above suggestions. I just went back to 1/2 day kindergarten and didn't use it since I didn't think I had time. However, next year I plan on using it again and modifying it for 1/2 day. Your lucky to be able to attend a workshop, I've only read the book.