Does anyone teach SQ3R or Cornell note taking?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by KLily21, Sep 2, 2007.

1. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I want to spend some time this week teaching my 7th grade students how to take their own meaningful notes from their science textbook. Does anyone teach SQ3R or Cornell note taking? Is one more effective than the other? I was thinking about teaching SQ3R, but I wanted to see if I could get some opinions first.

I would appreciate any ideas or advice you have on the topic!!
    :thanks:

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2007

Can't give you any advice but that SQ3R brings back memories! Cornell notes are what we call 2 column note taking in Step Up To Writing.

4. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

Cornell notes

Does Step Up to Writing have lessons on how to implement Cornell note taking? I've looked on the web, but haven't found a "lead me through it" method.

5. terptoteacher

Sep 2, 2007

I know that I was preparing a lesson on 2 column note taking and my son who was in middle school at the time saw them and said, "Oh, that's just like Cornell". There is a template available and during our training they taught us about it. I drew a line and divided the paper into 1/3 and 2/3. In the 1/3 section, you would put the main idea or topic, in the 2/3 side, you would explain.

We did a lot of highlighting before using the Step Up colors. The greens would be the topic of the notes. The yellows would be on the left 1/3 side and the reds were put on the 2/3 right side of the paper.

I just googled sq3r to refresh my memory--survey, question, read, recite and review!!

6. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 2, 2007

What is Step up to Writing?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2007

Our school uses the Cornell system, and all teachers are required to do a presentation on taking Cornell notes.

Cornell notes are great if kids do them the right way. Unfortunately, most don't, so the notes can be kind of ineffective.

8. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I see. I'm starting to think SQ3R might be a bit more 7th grade friendly

9. terptoteacher

Sep 2, 2007

Step up is a tool to teach writing. It simplifies the process so that basically anyone--even as young as kinder can produce a paragraph. They won't be really creative or Pulitzer prize worthy, but you can have a 6 year old write someting like;
    I like ice cream. First I like vanilla. It is white and creamy. Next, I like chocolate. Chocolate is one of my favorites. Last, I like cookie dough. I like the lumps of dough. Clearly, I like ice cream.

Each part of the paragraph is color coded. Green means topic sentence and conclusion. Yellow means: detail and red means: stop--tell me more.

I really like it. But like I said, it's not great for creative writing.

10. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 2, 2007

Oh I see. Thanks!

11. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I can say..that I had never really done anything with note taking since middle school. And was introduced to Cornell Note Taking during my senior year of college and absolutly hated it..I just thought it was so much more work then anything else I had learned.

12. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

Step up to writing

Is the information on notetaking in the Step Up to Writing notebook? Our English teachers have them and I can borrow one if the information is there.

I'm teaching geography/history without a book...so I'm doing a lot of work to get it ready for the kids. (We will get books next year, but the new adoption of frameworks took place this year.) Anyhow, I'm looking for a method to make things easier for me and informational for the students while providing them with good notetaking skills.

13. terptoteacher

Sep 3, 2007

Two column note taking should be in the Step UP notebook.

14. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 3, 2007

Does anyone know if there is a standard format as to how students write the questions and answers in the SQ3R format? Ok so students turn the headings and subheadings into questions to keep their mind focused as they read. Then as they read through the text, they answer their own questions. Do they use notebook paper and divide it vertically 1/3 to 2/3(like Cornell notes)? I thought there was a standard format, but maybe not.

Does anyone teach their students to use a standard written format? Does it even really matter?

15. teacher83

teacher83 Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

My school endorses cornell notes, its one thing we do as school. I love cornell note taking because it a great organizational strategy for the students. In addition the summary that should be a the end of the notes, allows you to asses if they got what they should from lesson or if you need to reteach. In addition it gives students the feasibility write their own notes. You have to show the students how to do it, but after about a week or two of consistently doing it the students pretty much understand. :2up:

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

17. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 9, 2007

I like that learningtoolbox. Thanks Irishdave!

18. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

I've saved the site into favorites...Thanks Irishdave!

19. Charger

Charger Companion

Sep 9, 2007

KLilly21, have you tried the SQ3R in class or have you tried the other methods? I teach science too and want to do less notes on the board and more student oriented notes.

20. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 10, 2007

Charger, I just started teaching SQ3R to my science classes. I walked them through the SQ3R notes together as a class so they could see how it was done. I do think it worked well and I am giving them a quiz over the material on Friday. I told them to use their SQ3R notes to help them prepare for the quiz...so I'll have a better idea of how effective the notes were on Friday. The only thing I would have changed is the lesson in the book that I had them take their first SQ3R notes from. It was WAY too long. I should have started them off with a shorter reading for their first try.

I have not tried Cornell notes, but in my opinion SQ3R is a bit more middle school friendly. It's not that SQ3R is easier than Cornell, but I think it takes them through not only the note taking process, but stresses the importance of previewing before you read and gives them an easy format for reviewing their notes after they have taken them.

United Streaming has a short little 7 min. video that does a great job of explaining the basics of SQ3R.

21. Madrone

Madrone Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

We teach it

but I couldn't say how helpful it is. Most of our students only respond when you say "write this down" or "copy this from the board into two-column notes". I am having a hard time getting beyond that.

But I will peresevere! I do think it is important if only to get them thinking about main idea and supporting details - kind of works in reverse in teaching them how to support their own writing when they pick apart what I say.