Does anyone on here have a contraceptive implant?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2012

I had to go off of birth control pills due to the estrogen hormones. I was just reading about the implant and wondered what you thought of it, if you have it or know of someone who has it.

One con I read that worried me was the hair loss. Is it significant? I already have really thin hair as it is.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2012

Do you mean an IUD?

If you stopped taking birth control pills due to hormones, then you probably shouldn't get the Mirena IUD because it has continuous-release hormones. The Paraguard IUD is hormone-free. I had the Paraguard for about 5 years and I loved it.

I would imagine that any hair-loss issues would be the result of the hormones in the implant, not the implant itself.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2012

My friend has had an IUD for a few years now and has had some EXTREME side effects. She has had one ovary removed and the other has cysts.

That alone is enough to scare me away from an implant.

If you body goes out of whack with hormones, you might have to stick to non-hormonal methods (diaphragm, condoms, etc). My mom never took birth control pills because her body doesn't do well with the hormones.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2012

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2012

I'm also looking into the injection so if you guys have any experience with that too. I plan to eventually see a doctor, but I want to gather as much information as I can. Hearing other people's experience helps. But I do get we are all different.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2012

As far as the shot goes I have two completely different stories.

My best friend swears by the shot. She loves it and always tries to convince me to switch to the shot. She says she never gets any periods any more (which would be weird to me). It's low maintenance and she's just over the moon happy with it.

My other friend used the shot and blew up like a balloon. She had irregular, long periods (like for more than 2 weeks). She's still on it for some reason, but I think she should get off asap.

Have you tried different types of BC pills? There are estrogen free ones.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2012

I am so thankful we don't have to worry about this! I get either very, very grossed out (the tiny rods in the arms) or worried (pills, IUDs).

Good luck. :)

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2012

Yes, I have thought about estrogen-free pills. The one reason why I was looking at the injection or implant was because I am very forgetful. When I was on the pill, I was ALWAYS forgetting to take my pills, sometimes forgetting days at a time (3-4 days) and had many pregnancy scares. One reason why I was fine about going off. Just wasn't working for me at the time anyways. However, maybe it is something to pursue and just something I need to integrate into my routine.

FYI, I went off of the pill about 2 years ago. So, maybe it's something I can try again.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2012

I have a friend who has a daily alarm on her phone to remind her to take the pill. I've been on the pill for years and just love it. I just take it as soon as I wake up in the morning and done! The problem is, those estrogen-free pills are a lot more finicky. You really HAVE to take them at the same time every day.

Have you thought about Nuva ring? One of my other friends has that and loves it.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2012

You do eventually want children, yes?

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2012

JustMe, I'm 30 and at this point I'm still not ready to have kids and right now I just don't ever see it happening (but I guess I should never say never).

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2012

I understand. PM :)

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 19, 2012

My wife took micronor, which didn't have the estrogen. She was bad about taking it at the right time (and you DO have to take it within about an hour of the same time every day.)

I ended up getting a crying baby ringtone, and set my alarm, so that she would remember to take it. If for some reason she forgot, or took the pill late, we'd always use a backup.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2012

A minipill wouldn't be a good idea for you if you have trouble remembering to take a pill. It really does need to be taken at the exact same time every day. I used to take it back in the day, and I remember that taking it even an hour late would result in spotting. I didn't want to take the chance that it would be ineffective, so I switched to a non-hormonal IUD.

If hormones are a problem, then I think any hormonal-type birth control method would be a bad idea. This is especially true for hormone-based implants and IUDs, because those are a little less easy to remove if you discover that they aren't working. You can't remove them yourself and would have to go to the doctor.

As for the shot, almost everyone I know who has gone on that has gained a lot of weight. I'm talking like 75+ pounds. Again, the shot is all about hormones, so if you struggle with hormones, I don't think you'd like the shot. One big consideration is that if you decide you don't like the shot, it's still going to be in your system for 3 months. That's a long time to suffer through side effects and problems.

I'd recommend a non-hormonal IUD (which shouldn't cause cysts or anything, because that sounds like a hormone problem) or a barrier method like condoms or a diaphragm.

16. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Nov 19, 2012

The shot made me crazy! I gained weight rapidly and I bled for like three months. It was awful. Love the Nuvaring. Don't have to remember a pill and I feel great still.

17. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Nov 19, 2012

I had a friend who used an IUD and it ended up tearing through tissue around where it was.... she did tell me that she liked it dispite that, but ended up going back to the pill after. My sister also used an IUD without issue. She switched to the shot a while ago, and I didn't notice any weight gain on her.

This week I'm going to the doctor myself for birth control. I tried the pill but hated it. I felt overly emotional, had instances of major depression/self-destructive feelings (which is scary because that is something I had not experienced in a very long time), and I gained about 20lbs (I don't attribute this all to the hormones directly, but the depression didn't help). I was on this for a year, stopped a couple months ago, and still feel a little out of wack! Anyway, I'm not into the hormone treatments, and I am in a committed relationship, so I'm hoping I can find something that works for me, too.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 19, 2012

I am on the shot and love it! I haven't had a period in in over a year. That said, the first time I got it, I hated it. It made me emotional and irrational for a few days. It also makes me super hungry the day I get it every three months.

Now, I'm totally used to it. I have almost no side effects and don't have to worry about birth control every day. And thing of the savings with not having to buy feminine hygiene products anymore! :)

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2012

Right now I am not using any sort of medical BC.

The shot blew me up. 40 lbs. I've been struggling with my weight ever since.

Typical 28 day pill packs did terrible things to my psyche. I had to take an antidepressant while I was on them.

I switched to a 24 pill pack (Loestrin), and it worked really well for me for 2 years. Then I developed some of the side effects and went off of them.

Personally - I would not want to take another medication - shot or implant - where I could not immediately stop it if I were having unmanageable side effects.

20. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 20, 2012

I was on the regular BC pill for years. I then started having a lot of BP problems. My doctors in FL couldn't figure out out. They kept running tests trying to figure out why my BP was so high- I was only 24/25. My new OB in IA, the first thing she said when I went in and my BP was high was "you are not allowed to be on the pill anymore".

I now have the IUD. I actually love it! I don't have to remember to take pills and I am one of the ones that still gets my monthly but it is like 3 days or less each month. No cramps and I used to get cysts and I haven't had one since I got it put in back at the end of April.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 20, 2012

This is the same for me, but the the shot instead of the implant. And I don't get periods anymore. It also has eliminated my symptoms of PCOS, and my blood pressure is able to be regulated with medicine now, as opposed to before when I was on medicine and it would still sometimes spike for no reason. I still want to ask my doctor about permanent BC options, but he seems to think that early 30s is too young for that since I don't have children, which I find discriminatory, but I understand he has his policies. I'm not going to suddenly wake up and decide I want to risk my health by having a baby when I've been medically advised not to have one.