Does anyone have a small dog??? Need advice!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KLily21, Sep 27, 2007.

1. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 27, 2007

I recently got a small Boston Terrier and he's kind of wimpy. :) Now that the mornings are cooler, he doesn't want to stay outside to go to the bathroom before school. I can't leave him out all day long and I was hoping not to have to kennel him all day, but he has been having accidents in the house because he won't go in the morning.

I guess my real question is, what do you guys do with your small dogs in the winter? How do you get your little guys to go to the bathroom outside when there's over a foot of snow on the ground?
    Any thoughts on kenneling?

3. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007

I kennel my dogs and they love it. They have also been kenneled since they were puppies, so I don't know how your dog would do with it. But I think it works. They both hold it until I get home...about 6 hours after

4. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Sep 27, 2007

I have a small dog. We got him in the spring so he was potty trained by the winter. I know this sounds silly, but have you thought about buying him a sweater for when he goes out in the cold weather? It does help at least with my mom's dog.

Also, my dog is litter box trained (I know it's weird) but he is little so we tried to get him to use it so he doesn't have to hold his little bladder all day. He holds it most of the day except #2 thats in the litter box everyday. He uses cat litter, he ate the dog litter (yes, there is such a thing).

I would kennel him until he is fully potty trained. Or if you have a metal play pen (I think they are called), we put our dog downstairs with water, food, blanket (unfinished basement) and toys in the play pen.

Sorry about the rambling. I hope this helps!

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 27, 2007

I have a chihuahua and he too is wimpy ;) We have to make him go outside by telling him in a firm voice. He also likes to hold it until he really has to go and then runs to the door! When we first got him we crated him. Now he has free roam. We do keep a potty pad in the kitchen for him to go on and he does. :)

6. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 27, 2007

Thanks for the advice everyone!
    I think I am definately going to get him a sweater (despite loud protests from my boyfriend:rolleyes:)

I think I will look into either the crate or the litter box/wee wee pad idea. How do you train your dog to use it?

My dog, Smithers, was actually potty trained by the time I got him from the humane society. He knows he shouldn't go in the house, but he's so quiet that he won't even tell us when he has to go out. My other dog will run to the door to let us know, but Smithers will just hold it and hold it and have an accident eventually if we don't let him out every so often. This rarely ever happens if we are home, though.
    How did you train your dog to tell you when it's time to go out?

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2007

All summer long my dog slept in just like I did. We were very lazy this summer. I began to worry how I would get her to go out before I left for school. I few days before school started I just woke her up and pushed her little behind out the door. I had to do that for about a week and now she comes downstairs when I am eating breakfast and goes outside. It's all about training and being consistent. I never have and never will use pee pads. Dogs should go potty outside.

8. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Sep 29, 2007

We always said to our dog "Outside, Go Potty?" he picked up on that means he goes outside, he darts to the door. When he was a puppy we learned (in classes) that we needed to follow him and say "go potty" and when he goes potty, we give him a small treat. We broke treats into 3's. He now knows what "go potty" means. He doesn't always do it but he knows.

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 29, 2007

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 29, 2007

I never had this problem when I had a house and large dogs. The worst one would do is go on the cement patio. But, now I'm in a condo and have a small dog. All my rooms are upstairs (just a closet in the entryway). So, it has been harder to train this one. She'd have to go to the top of the stars and cry or bark - and so far she doesn't. I'm at my wits end with the poop on the rug.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 29, 2007

My dog (a pug) wears a jacket in the winter to go outside. BTW - I live in Texas so she is really wimpy/spoiled. I also leave a puppy pad (potty training pad) in one of our pare rooms. She rarely uses it, but it is nice to know if I have to leave her for longer than expected she will use it as a last resort.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 29, 2007

Mine just tears up the pads.

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 29, 2007

When we got a puppy 6 months ago he would take the other dogs potty pad and run around with it :lol:. Luckily he has grown out of that phase. Hey, don't they say animals reduce your stress level?? ;)

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 29, 2007

:lol:

I don't know exactly what he does, but if you wanted to give it a try I have seen "frames" at walmart that hold the pads and keep them in place. This might not help if he is digging on them, but it might with chewing.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 29, 2007

My mom's min pin (11 pounds) is also potty box trained. So I guess it's not that weird haha. We don't use litter we use a large low sided plastic crate, put puppy wee wee pads in it, and newspaper over it.
    My mom flushes the poo, and changes the pads probably once a week or so. She tosses the dirty news paper.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 29, 2007

I think we'll try that. I didn't know about the frames that hold pads in place. I'll look for them.

17. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 29, 2007

My dog is 15 pounds and he loves it outside, until his feet get too cold to walk and he can't get back to the door. Then we have to go get him, it's ridiculous. He too knows what "outside, go potty" means. He goes out and we kick his little butt off the deck if he won't go and then down he goes, he gets to come back in once he does something. He's usually pretty quick in the morning because he knows my mom means business and that I am still in bed. Otherwise, we just make sure he goes out at least twice in the morning, even if it's just 15 minutes apart.

Maybe you need to keep him outside more while you work in the yard or the kids are playing? Just to get him use to it?

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 29, 2007

Mine doesn't like to put her feet on wet grass. I don't really blame her, but it is really a necessity....

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 29, 2007

I used to let mine go on the patio. That's fine with me. I also sometimes would say GO and point when she turned to come back in. She knows. Now my dog is too old and I put her inside during the day with potty pads all over my fairly large bathroom.

20. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 29, 2007

Mine tries to not go out if the grass is wet too. I have seiously considered the boots, but I haven't let her "convince" me yet. We have a large tree that sheilds much of the yard, so it is drier under there, she will eventually dart out under the tree and go quickly if she has to. She did get a new shirt today that says "Born Fabulous" :lol:

21. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 30, 2007

My Boston doesn't like to get his feet wet either! It makes me feel better that my dog isn't the only one who has "issues" with going potty when the weather isn't perfect.

Tasha, my mom's chihuahuas have shirts that have cute sayings on them too! That's pretty cute!