Does anyone hate field trips as much as I do?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Apr 13, 2017.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2017

So today we were supposed to go on an Easter picnic. It was cancelled because of weather and I couldn't be happier. I always get really stressed before we go on a a trip. Almost to the point of an anxiety attack. I hate the stress. I hate the parents being there and in general they are NOT fun for me. When I say the I hate the parents I really don't but I always feel like I am under a microscope on a field trip. For the most part have a great relationships with my parents. ( always at least one you can't make happy) I have only ever had one problem on a field trip. A few years ago a parent threw me under the bus to another parent whose child did not get to go and told a huge lie about how I treated that child. I have never been so mad a parent in my life. This feeling of stressful field trips started from the beginning of my teaching career not just in the last few years. Anyway I am just super glad we didn't go on this picnic.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 13, 2017

I love field trips for the kids, but not so much for me. I totally get what you're saying. I am a giant stress ball on some field trips. When I taught low income I especially loved field trips because my kids didn't have those experiences outside of school. Now that I've been teaching in a middle class community they don't seem as important.

My worst trip is the overnight trip my grade level takes every year. Each class has to go by ourselves, so it's me and many parents and my class. It requires tons of prep and is incredibly stressful. I dread it for weeks ahead of time. I also don't get paid a single extra cent for it, even though I'm working about 30 hours straight. I'm SO glad this is my last year because I got a job elsewhere. The kids just adore this trip, so I grin and bear it for them, but it's tough to remain positive about it.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Apr 13, 2017

I usually enjoy the field trips once we are actually on the trip, but the work leading up to it and the long bus ride is not fun. The hands on learning and the cultural experiences are fantastic. I have always had helpful, supportive parents join us so that has been a blessing.

5. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2017

I always say field trips are a necessary evil. Too many kids aren't being taught common (they used to be common!) manners that are needed in public places!

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2017

They are certainly stressful days, for many of the reasons listed above, but I still love them for the fact that they can often (not always) be some great authentic experiences that you wouldn't be able to experience in the classroom.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2017

I love them (although I am the teacher obsessively counting heads!). I love being able to get out of the building with the kids and have a different pace to the day.

Quick stressful field trip story--last year, our principal arranged discount tickets for all of our grade 4-8 classes to go to an afternoon Toronto Blue Jays game. It was a special event for students, so the stadium was packed. For some reason, my class wasn't seated with anyone else from the school and the other staff member who was supposed to be with me didn't make it over to my group. During the game, I got a text alert that many of the roads around the stadium had been closed due a fatal accident, so our buses weren't able to meet us where we had arranged. After some stressful minutes, and MUCH head counting, I found the other class who was sharing our bus and we trekked through the crazy traffic to find our bus which had just pulled up to the side of the road about 15 minutes away. Rush hour traffic going home delayed us a bit, but everyone made it back! While I loved it, I would think twice about doing that trip again!

8. bella84

bella84 Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2017

Yes. Field trips and parties are the worst. I hate all things fun.

I'm serious.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Apr 19, 2017

My grade level partner and I used to talk about how we weren't "fun" and our idea of a prize was BONUS read to self time and quiet drawing... I do enjoy the fun things, but field trips stress me out because of all the potential problems. Nothing serious has ever happened, but I always imagine worst case scenario

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Field trips are physically and mentally exhausting--whether they're local or out of town.

11. rpan

rpan Rookie

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Every year I take a group of 40+ students to a different state on excursion for 1 whole week - I lose a Sunday and a Saturday too. It's mentally and physically exhausting and by the time I get back all I want to do is sleep for 24 hours. Having to supervise (with 3 other staff) 24/7 for one week really takes its toll. Even when you are sleeping you never really sleep because you are always hearing for a knock on the door when a student is sick or homesick or whatever. You gotta be their mom and dad and teacher and friend at different times of the day. The only reason I do it is because I know the students get a lot out of the trip. But I dread it every year. And don't even get me started on the planning!

mathmagic likes this.
  12. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:50 AM

I remember doing a 3-day (2-night) trip that sounds very similar, and it truly was amazing how exhausted you were when you got back (it was also snowy the entire time, which added to the physical exhaustion). We went T-Th, and the three of us teachers were very clearly not that alive on Friday and crafted the day as such.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:13 PM

I dislike fieldtrips....The kids get super excited and while I know they really enjoy it, I just don't.