Does Anyone Else Feel Old?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Always__Learning, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 18, 2018

I am starting to read posts from new teachers and am just really surprised at what they prioritize. I feel like it wasn't that long ago that I was new but my thinking as a new teacher (and my colleagues at the time) was so different than the thinking of new teachers now. Am I the only one who feels this way?

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Sep 18, 2018

I'm not sure.. like what?

4. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 18, 2018

I'm just realizing that the way younger staff on this board frame things make me think about phrases like "when I started..." which make me think I'm showing my age. I don't think it really matters what the differences are, just that I'm realizing my viewpoint (and that of colleagues my age) seems so different from what newer teachers are posting about. It isn't good or bad. I'm just surprised at the difference.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 18, 2018

What're they posting about? They = new teachers. Can you elaborate?

6. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 18, 2018

Okay I guess it is just me. I didn't want to name specifics because it isn't that the perspective is right or wrong. I am just realizing that the way I thought about a lot of things in education as a new teacher is really different from how new teachers are posting about those same things on the board this year. I wouldn't have said that 5 years ago. 5 years ago the way new posters talked about being new felt similar to my experience being new. So I think I'm just realizing I'm old. Like when my grandparents talked about walking uphill to school both ways :) I feel like what new teachers are prioritizing or expecting is very different from what new teachers 'in my day' prioritized or expected.

But maybe its not my age. Maybe it's just me :)

7. Aces

Aces Cohort

Sep 18, 2018

I feel old everytime by kids go outside to skateboard and I'm reminded that's not exactly an option anymore.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 18, 2018

I don’t really feel old.

Maybe I’m just not paying attention to what others say.

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 18, 2018

I think the pressures new teachers face today are much the same and yet different. For example, insert shaky voice here, back in my day, parents were less apt to assume you were wrong and would support you. The new teachers seem to struggle to find the support. In my time, people were very generous with what they created. Now you have to buy it on TPT. As a beginning teacher, I felt uncertain, but I didn't have a mentor crushing whatever self confidence I was building (which is a recurring post I see here.) So if you mean those differences, yes, I do. However, because I blissfully lie about my age, I never feel old. :)

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 18, 2018

Our new teachers talk about classroom management problems, feeling overwhelmed, and wondering how to get all their work done. That sounds a lot like the same problems I've heard since I began teaching 25+ years ago.