does anyone create their own tests?

Discussion in 'High School' started by traeh, Sep 14, 2007.

1. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Feb 12, 2012

ENGR: Once you've used math type and experienced the wonderful keyboard commands, you can't go back to the equation editor -it feels archaic!

To the original poster --- To determine length I usually time myself taking the test. If I multiple that by 4 or 5 it should come out to the length of time of the class period. After you make a couple tests this way, you can figure out your "multiply by..." constant.

2. KatieShow

KatieShow Rookie

May 24, 2012

Do people really get premade tests? I have been teaching for nine years and have made every single assignment. My brow is furrowed.

3. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

This is a great thread, thanks to the OP and to all who have posted replies.

The only thing I can add to the great ideas already posted is that I start with the state test my students will take in the spring. In CA, there are released questions available (from prior tests but no longer used).

I use the format and type of question they will see on the state test when I can. I note how many questions they will get on each academic standard to focus my instruction. (I also use the released questions themselves for warm up/review questions).

Of course, my assessments have elements (essays, etc.) they will not see on the annual test, but part of my job is to prepare them for the state assessment.

4. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jul 1, 2012

Yes, thanks for the info. I'm switching to HS this year and am spending a lot of my summer going through the curriculum and starting to write my own tests... the main thing I've gotten from this is that I'm making them too easy!! :p

For sources I have been using the unit and lesson objectives, the textbooks, and study questions the textbooks give (as a source for vocab and names).

The thing that intimidates me is essay questions-- asking the right question, grading them equitably (since I'm a stickler for grammar and spelling but am not teaching English). Any input on that? Thanks.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 1, 2012

What are you teaching?

6. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jul 2, 2012

High school Bible... NT and OT survey, doctrines, church history, world religions, ethics and apologetics.

Critical thinking is important, as are speaking and writing skills, some memorization, etc.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 2, 2012

I've taught World Religions as a part of Western Civ. before. Generally, my tests consisted of (for the religion section) of identifications, 25 multiple choice, short answers, and then an essay. The identifications generally consisted of people, places, and terms. The short answers were usually quotes from the Bible, Koran, Torah, etc.

8. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

I use the book as an expert guide to teach from. So half of my teaching is from the book and the other half is from interactions with students. So I do the same with tests. Half the test is the publishers. I create the other half of the test based on the interactions I have had with the students.

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

Yes. I decide based on overall concepts in the unit.

10. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Aug 2, 2012

Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful!!

11. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

I create and write all my test questions.

Before computers, I had use my typewriter at home. Some of the tests had 150 questions so it was time consuming. Any change to the material resulted in instructing the students to cross out certain questions instead of having to type the test over again.

Today it is the easiest thing to write up a test.