Does an assistant need a file cabinet?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MissaG, Jul 12, 2007.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I am moving to a room with very little storage space. The room has two file cabinets in it that I would like to put next to each other behind my desk. Do I need to leave on available for the assistant or is it okay for me to take both? I have never had an assistant before, so I just don't know what is right. She will have a desk of her own, but the room is small and it will take some creativity to find a place for both desks, let alone putting a file cabinet or something with her desk.

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2007

I would think if she has a desk that has at least a couple of drawers for her to stow her stuff, that should be fine. In our school, the assistants have lockers.

4. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

When i was a anssitant i had two cubbys and a shelf in the cabinet if i wanted it. i also was allowed to sit at the teachers desk if she was not using it. i also had my own pass word on the computer and i help grade test and was keeping track of who pased in homework and putting alside make up work for the children who were out. i loved being assitant just hated not knowing who i was going to be with the next year. each teacher gave just diffrent space and jobs .

5. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

I don't think she will need it. We don't have a desk or anything for an assistant. I think in the younger grades they have more of a need of a desk. I think it would be fine for you to take both and maybe leave a drawer or half a drawer if you are worried.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 12, 2007

I have a small desk (and a big on in the next room but don't use that one at all). I also have a bookshelf area because I do tend to collect books for ideas. I also bring in some arts and crafts of my own (especially my stampers). I use a counter area (under the bookshelves) and use it to organize anything I make and use for games and so forth so I know where it is at all times (and it doesn't get mixed in with the teacher's stuff where I can't find it again). I put files of things I access regularly. (Certainly not a filing cabinet's worth).I also have a small closet I can hang my jacket and put my purse but I'm a bit naive and never use it.

I loved my small desk, shelves and small counter space. Any new jobs the teacher wanted to give me was put on the desk. The rest of the space was touched only by me. It worked well. It keeps me organized.

OH! I do have a small filing area behind hers sitting on the student's cubby area. Mine is a different color folders than hers is. It is templates of things that I mostly use (but many are hers originally) but if I'm out or she just wants one available, she knows where they are. The most important folder in that area was the job assignment chart. Kids never repeated jobs until everyone had a chance. I kept track of this. She DEFINATELY pulled this out when it was time to change and I was absent! :)

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

My aide had no filing cabinet and a big student desk. We had closets for stowing personal items.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Then again, it might be a real nice touch to offer her a drawer or two.

9. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

if you were the assistant would you want one?

When I did my student teaching I bought one of the portable filing tote's-maybe that would work.

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2007

When I was an assistant I appreciated having my own space. I had a small desk in the classroom where I worked. Mostly it was a place to stow my purse and to do whatever task the teacher asked of me.

The OP mentioned her assistant will have a desk in the room. I would think that would be enough for most people.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

I doubt she'll need the whole thing, but I think it would be a good idea to at least ask her if she wanted some space like a drawer or two. It might help set the tone early on that you are a cooperative partner.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 12, 2007

My aide did not have a desk (my room was tiny) but I did give her a drawer in my file cabinet so that she could lock up her purse. She did not bring in anything worthy (just food and a purse and I had a refrigerator) for me to give her a whole file cabinet. I also had 2 empty cubbies that she could use to store things in if she wanted. She was given a special password to use the computer in the classroom.