Do you work every day?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by microbe, Dec 29, 2012.

1. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 29, 2012

How many substitute teachers work every day?

I am certainly capable of working every day (though I'd have to take some jobs that I'd rather avoid). The issue is that certain days I feel so drained and discouraged that I can't get myself to accept a new job for the next day. Is this normal? Will it eventually go away? I'd like to start working every day of the week without feeling terrible.

Thanks for reading. :)

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Dec 29, 2012

I work pretty much every day. I was just thinking right before break that I was so tired. Since June 2011 I think I may have had 10-12 days off the entire school year. Addition to that were regular school holidays, which is not much. Thanksgiving we get 2 days, and winter break is 7 school days total.
    So I've been working my butt of for a year an a half, no vacation. Off course it's my choice, and if I could have I would have worked those day, too.

But it's a wonder I'm not burnt out. Our regular teacher take off 7 weeks during the school year (including summer) and they have 3 weeks sick days. I don't have any, so if I'm sick, I work.
    The week before Christmas I was sick, and 2 days I really felt miserable. I still went to work because I didn't want to lose money, and didn't feel like writing sub plans (even though I'm a sub,, it was a 3 weeks assignment, where I planned everything).

But I guess I can't - and shouldn't - complain.

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 29, 2012

If you are new microbe, then I definitely think it's normal. I do recall dreading the morning phone call, halfway hoping it wouldn't ring, because of my apprehension. It's funny when I look back now. I do think there is value in perservering, and almost forcing yourself to continue to work, even though you ar feeling unmotivated/discouraged/etc.

5. Wants2Teach

Wants2Teach Rookie

Dec 29, 2012

I know what you mean, I'm new too.

Do you ever have those days where you think you might be able to pick and choose? I can never really tell.

Good luck to ya!

6. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Comrade

Dec 29, 2012

I never worked 5 days a week, but that was by my choice. I stopped feeling guilty about turning down jobs after the first year. There was a time where I was working 3 jobs at once, and if I subbed everyday I would be working 7 12-14 hour days a week with absolutely no breaks whatsoever. I worked enough to cover my bills and that was enough for me.

I have a LTS now, so I'm obviously working 5 days a week, but I still have one of my part time jobs.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 29, 2012

I am listed in four districts. The largest one, and the one in which I could easily find a job each day is the one I most try to avoid. The schools are not in the nicest neighborhoods, the kids tend to be out of control in many of the rooms, and it's a bit of a drive when I look at the money that I'll make....so...yes, it is possible for me to work five days a week, but sometimes the aggravation is not worth it.

8. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 29, 2012

I know exactly how you feel!

9. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Dec 30, 2012

That's normal to feel apprehension.

I like to work 3 days a week. Enough to get out of the house but still have time to take care of things that need to get done in the week.

10. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 30, 2012

Before I got my full-time job, I was working every day. I would then rush home and teach hours of piano lessons every night. Around January of last year, I started feeling really burned out and was really glad to take some 1/2 days that I normally would have tried to avoid. Part of the reason for my feeling so tired last year was because one of my big districts got a lot of recently graduated subs. They even posted on Aesop that they were going to be giving these new subs more jobs so that they could gain experience. I remember feeling so discouraged that I had to spend hours on Aesop and Subfinder looking for jobs!

Then I got an interview at the end of January for a full-time job. I started working at my current teaching job in February. It seemed like I got out of subbing just in time! It looked like it was going to be a hard stretch for jobs!

11. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Jan 5, 2013

I usually work 5 days per week. When I was new to subbing, I frequently encountered what you're describing, and I still do occasionally. Yes, it is normal. Yes, it does go away, or at least become less frequent. But only if you do something about it. First of all, figure out if you have a trigger. Do specific grade levels do it to you? If so, take those jobs less frequently. I discover that if I push through, and make myself sub again the next day, I usually recover faster than if I take the day off and sit at home. Also, a friend of mine stops at the gym and works out on the way home, burning off any frustration for the day. I started Friday, and I must say, even though I was worn out when I got home, I felt much better than when I left school and a bunch of students who thought they were still on Holiday break.

Also, I book my days ahead of time using an app that notifies me every time a job posts. That way when I've had a long or tiring day, I'm not making the decision of whether to work the next day. It has already been made. I started at 3 days and am up to 5 now. I hope this helps.

12. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jan 5, 2013

I barely worked during the beginning of the year. Now, forget it. And because I'm a student teacher, I can't work the amount of days I want (I love working every day, even if it drains me!)

13. cklarue

cklarue New Member

Jan 6, 2013

To those of you who are able to work five days a week, how long did it take you to get there? I'm a new sub in a small district and got put on the sub list right before the holidays. I'm thinking of getting a part-time job in case I don't really get very many jobs. When you first started out, did you have a lot of calls? Or did it take awhile for teachers to hear about you?

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 7, 2013

Back when I was subbing, I worked 4 or 5 days/wk during most of my subbing years because I had many long-term assignments.

15. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Jan 23, 2013

It took a few weeks. For some it probably takes longer, but I actively left my business cards (I got them free on Vistaprint because we subs are on tight budgets). I give 2 to the teacher, clipped to the note about the day, and I give 1 to the school secretary, and take a moment to personally introduce myself and specify that I LOVE LOVE LOVE grades 3-5 (fill in your own preferences), but that I will sub other grades. Also, another way that I get filled better is getting a service that notifies me via text or on-screen notification on my phone as soon as a subbing job is listed, so I can pick it up before it disappears. There are several out there, depending on what subbing system you use. I HAVE actually called schools before and said, "Hey Sue, it's Gretchen. I just wanted to check if you can use me Friday, since I'm not booked anywhere yet." Believe it or not, they have occasionally said yes, and used it as a meeting day, or a day to have teachers finish their pull-out testing with students for their reading and math levels, or even had me run a computer lab reward day for students with at least x number of days on a good behavior zone. Some other subs have said they wouldn't feel comfortable calling asking for subbing days, and I won't do it with every school, but those where I'm on a first-name basis with the secretary, I have no qualms about letting them know I'm available.

16. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Jan 23, 2013

Also, on days you're not booked, if you start checking for subbing jobs about an hour before school gets out, you'll beat the people who aren't logged in because they're working, so the jobs stay posted a little bit longer (10 minutes instead of 5. lol)

17. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jan 25, 2013

Took me about half a year for it to happen. Also, because my mom's friend who is a student aide put in a good word at the school she works at and because my resume said that I'm studying special ed, they keep calling me to sub for the special ed teachers (there's a big special ed program in that school, I love it!).

I start student teaching again in like a week or two. Gonna be tough saying no to these offers… :(

18. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jan 25, 2013

I am able to work every day that I want to work. I too have an app that notifies me when a job is available and I can just click the link and get the job. I will look at my phone during the lunch break and if I get a planning period during the subbing day. Occasionally I have to turn down a job after accepting it because something comes up, such as a job interview. I see the job get gobbled up right away, so I don't feel bad and I always do it in advance, not an hour before school starts.

19. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Jan 29, 2013

in the morning I do not want to get a call. But, if I get it and go to work, I get so much positive energy from kids, buy the end of day I love them all, even the most ugly ones :) In the evening I think "what a cool job", I want it again, but in the morning I hate to get a call again. If I don't get calls I start missing school a lot.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2013

Ugly?