Do you use RAZ-Kids?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Deeena, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Feb 12, 2010

I have heard some wonderful things about RAZ-kids. I am considering purchasing it for my classroom but had a few questions before I buy...

1. How many students does it allow you to enter per class?
    2. Can you change the names or add names as the year goes on? For example, if I get a new student, can I add him/her into the system? Also, if I buy the program mid school year, can I enter my new class list come this August? Or will my current class list stay in the system for the entire year that I'm subscribed to the program? If that's the case, then I may have to wait and buy the program next school year.
    3. How do you like RAZ-Kids? Is it also useful for accelerated readers? What are the comprehension questions like?

Thanks for answering my questions!

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Feb 12, 2010

I love it! I think you can enter 24 kids and I don't know about entering them in August, but you can change them whenever you want. My kids do really well with it!

4. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Feb 12, 2010

wow.. only 24 kids? So if you have more than 24 in your class then you have to buy a subscription for 2 classes?

5. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Feb 16, 2010

Is there anyone else that has an opinion about the program?

6. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 17, 2010

I used it last year......I got it for free for being the account manager for my school.

I just checked my page and you can have 36 students on one account and you can change them at any time.

The kids thought it was fun and they really liked earning cool things to decorate their rocket (aliens, wacky plants, etc.) It's also cool because you can print out a page for each kid with the web address, user name, password, etc. and each child can access the site from home. I used it over the summer with the hopes it would slow the summer slide.

My school will pay for one subscription and I personally think that the main reading a-z site is better and has more resources. I liked raz-kids, but don't feel like I need it in addition to reading a-z.

Good luck!

7. janney

janney Cohort

Feb 17, 2010

If you wait until teacher appreciation week in May, they will probably have a free preview of it again where you can check it out before next year.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 17, 2010

We have it at my school, 22 teachers have access to it and only a handful of us use it. Personally, I think it's over-rated. I have to decide to use my time most effectively, there's not enough time in the day to start with. It's just not hardly worth the time. I've been in the lab three times to use it and others have used it only once.