Do you use ABEKA curriculum? Please share

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by jlj, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 18, 2011

your advice/experience. I posted for help in the elementary section but thought here might get more response from private sch teachers that use the ABEKA curriculum. I really could use some advice on how to set up and run a combo Kinder/1st grade class. I've taught ABEKA PK and Kinder for many years (1 year PK/K combo class), this will be first year in 1st grade. Will be a very small group of Kinder children. If enrollment goes up we will separate them, but for now just not practical.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 21, 2011

I wish I knew who it was on here that also did that. The member may not even be active anymore. Hopefully though!

4. Cree

Cree New Member

Jun 21, 2011

I use ABEKA and have taught k5 and 1st. However, I don't know how I would combine the two. Maybe once you get into looking over plans it will come together. There is a lot of overlapping in the grades with phonics and stuff. Good luck!

5. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

It should be fairly easy to do if you can split the kids into work groups. Much of the ABEKA curriculum for first grade is all K review and they can work independently some once you give explanation. Could you set it up to have one group work in centers/seat work etc...as you teach a lesson to the other group and then swap out? Our 3rd/4th grade class was combined this year and this is how that teacher handled it.

6. HomeofLove4Him

HomeofLove4Him New Member

Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I was going to suggest that probably the easiest thing to do here is "ping-pong."

K5: Phonics Lesson//1st: Arithmetic Seatwork
    K5: Phonics Seatwork//1st: Phonics & Lang lesson Lesson
    K5: Reading Groups//1st: Phonics Seatwork
    K5: Number Writing Practice//1st: Reading Groups
    K5: Penmanship//1st: Spelling lesson
    K5: Arithmetic Lesson//1st: Language Seatwork
    K5: Readiness Skills book and Bible Activity book//1st: Arithmetic lesson
    K5: Activity Time (Sci, Comm Workers, Health or Hist)//1st: Penmanship
    K5: Centers//1st: Activity Time (Sci, Health or Hist)

7. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 30, 2011

Wow! Homeoflove4Him that's awesome! I was hoping to do as many "lessons" together as possible but the two grade levels are not on anything the same at the same time except at the beginning a little while introducing vowels & blends to Kinder & reviewing with 1st. That doesn't even flow. I like your idea. Now to work out the time schedule to fit everything in with specials, etc. Thanks so much for your help!!

Please keep the ideas, suggestions coming!

8. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

In the beginning of the year for 1st is almost the same for K in phonics so you could review with 1st while introducing the basics to K.
    Do you use Abeka for Bible or ACSI? You could do at least Bible together.

9. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 11, 2011

Yep...Bible could be done together fairly easily since the curriculum pretty much follows the same lessons for the younger grades.