Do you tutor after school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 11, 2007

I am curious how other teachers handle tutoring. How do you choose your students? How many do you tutor at a time? How long do you stay after school, and on how many days per week do you tutor? Also, do you simply focus on helping with homework or do you try to provide extra practice to improve yearly test scores? I struggle every year with the tutoring issue, and I am returning to work in a week and a half with a 6 week old baby...I do not want to spend an extra hour after school Mon.-Thurs. every week like I did last year. I also have a 5 year old, and would like to get home to my own kids as soon as possible every evening. Am I being selfish for not wanting to tutor as much? I apparently have a lot of kids who scored very low on last year's state testing and our counselor would like me to tutor several of them. UGH. I sometimes think if you only keep a child one time per week with several other students, you really don't see a drastic difference. My tutoring usually ends up being homework tutoring, which in reality parents could do, instead of me. Please share your thoughts!!!

3. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 11, 2007

what I do

Hi Mrs. Mom,

I would check with your school system as to how long you are required to stay at school. For instance, we are required to stay at school for an hour for one day a week (other than our faculty meeting day). I would use this hour, from 3:00-4:00, to tutor. Personally, I do not tutor more than that. Otherwise, I need to be paid additional money for the time spent tutoring.

I also understand that you cannot tutor every child. I would choose the three to five students that need it most and tutor those students. I prefer to take a small group five students. Unfortunately, because approximately 75% of my class is below grade level, I do not have time for direct one-on-one tutoring.

Please make sure you try to balance your personal life and work life, although the line is fairly blurred at times.

I don't know if this helps any, but I hope it does.

4. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

Unless you really want to, I wouldn't stay later than my required time. Dismissal is at 3:15 and we stay until 3:40. I usually have kids come in right after the bell then start on some review worksheets. That way, I can get all of my stuff together and then take a breath. Then we go over it, one on one.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2007

We struggled with this last year as a school. Some teachers would stay for an hour two days a week to work with those kids that were failing or close to it. They would review concepts already taught and practice. There were other teachers that did it for the last 30-45 minutes of the school day, Mon-Thur while the other students read silently.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 11, 2007

-Extra practice. Sometimes the parents come in, too, to get ideas. I am focusing on phonetics, reading, and writing skills right now with a few kids.

However, right now, I am single, and when I have a family like you, I am sure my availability will change.

7. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 12, 2007

Our school does not require us to tutor. We can get paid one of 2 ways: tutor as part of a school paid program--it pays us $10 for each one hour session after school for up to a total of 40 times, (no taxes withheld) OR we can tutor as part of career ladder. HOWEVER, if you choose to not tutor, that looks bad to parents and the administration, not to mention the guilty conscience I'd get. I just seem to have so many needy ones this year, and I don't know how to select them. I thought about reevaluating at the beginning of each quarter, so that if I choose to tutor someone who later seems to be doing better and I realize I really need to pick up a different student, I will have the option. I just don't want it to be homework help, I think the parents need to be doing that (as long as it is something I am reasonably sure the parents CAN help with.)

8. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

We are not required to tutor at our school, but it is encouraged:rolleyes: We always base who is in our tutoring on their TPRI scores. If they scored low, they are in tutoring. After that we progress monitor every two weeks with DIBELS. So our tutoring groups can change every couple of months or so. Don't feel guilty about it if you do not want to. Most of the teachers here do tutor, but I'm not. I have several low ones, but I am going to school three nights a week so I just don't have the time for it. Do what is best for you!

9. LisaM

LisaM Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

Wow, I am surprised that people are required to tutor. Last year I spoke to my principal about staying after school a couple of times a week to help different students in my class and he basically said I should look into getting paid to tutor. My district also has a rule that teachers cannot tutor their own students.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 12, 2007

Quite often parents will ask teachers at my school to tutor. We are not allowed to tutor our own students and we make our own financial arrangements with the parents involved. Most of us are getting $35-45 per hour for our after school time.

11. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 12, 2007

There are paid tutors within the district that we direct the parents to......thank goodness! ;)

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2007

We cannot tutor students from our school or use school board property to earn money from tutoring. Most teachers offer extra help to their students before or after school or at recess; it is considered part of our job.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 12, 2007

We have a reading intervention program set up after school. For this, Teacher Aides are trained and run these tutoring sessions. It is alternated with bus duty so it isn't like any extra time spent. One teacher, in the whole school, last year tutored one of her students. She did it for a special reason and then all of a sudden all the parents wanted it and she couldn't really say no. She lost her prep time and so this year she has decided that she learned her lesson. I'm going to be tutoring 4 days a week instead of the normal 1-2 days. Yea! No bus duty! Of course bus duty is easier but I'd rather come up with games and strategies to see if the student can up their motivation for reading. I'm looking forward to it.

14. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

I am amazed at these responses. You can't tutor your own students?...the the pay! $35-$45 per hour..I tutor for $10 an hour, and that rate is the same whether I keep 1 student or 5. I'd tutor every day if someone would pay me what a teacher is actually worth!!!! I think I'll stick to 2 days per week and set it up for one quarter at a time...then if I have to switch or change anything, I'm not committed to any parent for too long at a time.

15. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 13, 2007

We don't tutor our own students for pay because of conflict of interest. We had a teacher one year who had tons of students that she recommended for tutoring...she tutored them all and the parents paid. We can recommend a student for tutoring...usually when I have a student who needs additional help, the 5th grade teacher works with my students and makes whatever arrangements he likes with the parents. I've worked with some of the 3rd graders and a few in our Upper School.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2007

We earn our salary for teaching our own students--both between the bells, at recess and before and after school if we choose. To charge to tutor them after school would be like saying, "I can't teach them during school hours, but if you'd like to pay me more, I can." We can work with our students outside of class time, just can't charge for it. Often, teachers who wish to tutor "switch off" and tutor the students of a friend in another school and vice versa.

17. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

Ok, that makes sense. I was just thinking you couldn't tutor your own students, even at no expense. We would never charge our parents for tutoring, obviously, but I'm afraid I'd find it hard to stay after school hour upon hour with kids, (quite frankly, a lot of times doing what a parent could be doing) if i wasn't getting compensated in some way by the school district. I feel like I put a lot of time and effort into my day, and spend a lot of time at night and on the weekends planning, grading, etc., so the school district is getting their money's worth with me. I just don't want to take more time away from my family for free. Maybe I am selfish....but that's my take on it!