Do you think that children should get allowances?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mandagap06, Jul 18, 2008.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 18, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you think that children should get allowences? Do you think they should do choires around the house for money or do you think they should not get money at all? Or do you think they should get money just because? What is you opinion of this and what age would you stop the allowences if you were the parent? Just thought this would be a good topic for parents to discuse!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2008

I think the two main issues to think about regarding allowance is that we want to teach kids that if they work hard, they will be rewarded or get paid because that's how the real world works. We get jobs to make money. This of course will also teach them how to save, when to spend, etc.

HOWEVER, kids have to also know that certain things are expected of them without getting any kind of reward, money, etc. There are certain things that they must do as a part of being a responsible individual where they shouldn't expect a handout, such as going to school and getting good grades, doing maybe certain housework, etc.

The question is, how do we teach kids these two important values without confusing them? Because some kids will start to get the incorrect idea in their head that they "should" get paid to do EVERYTHING, which shouldn't be.

I personally think that we should 1st teach them when they're very young that there are certain things they must do & not expect to get anything in return. But as they get older (& since I don't have kids yet, I don't really know what that perfect age is...maybe 3rd or 4th gr level), there are certain things that they will get an allowance for in addition to continuing those other non-paying activities.

They should probably stop getting an allowance when they graduate from HS at 18. My parents didn't make me work while I was still in HS & if I have kids, I probably won't make them either...they have the rest of their lives to work! I had my 1st job the summer I graduated.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 18, 2008

BTW guys I do not have kids and am not married. I just wanted to start this thread for those that are or want to say there opinion on the subject. I thought the what age should they stop question cuz' I know some teens who still get an allowence and then they don't feel they need a job!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2008

Neither of my kids (now 14 and 17) have ever gotten an allowance. They are both pretty responsible around the house and do whatever we ask them to. I buy them what they need, or give them money to go shopping for clothes, etc. My son has been a baseball umpire for the past several summers and has been good about saving his earnings; I buy him the basics, but he takes care of everything else. This may not be an ideal situation for everyone, but it has worked really well for us.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2008

MrsC, your method sounds good! I never really got an allowance either. My parents bought me what I needed plus more.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2008

I never had allowance either. But I did babysit when I could to make extra money. I also gave up some nights when I would have rather been out with frenz, but that's the responsible side of me. Not that it was all saved, but it was money I didn't have to ask mom & dad for. My mom sounds like you. We pretty much got what we needed & did stuff when asked. Of course you know looking back could have done more to help. But we always had good grades, involved in pretty much everything you could be & were good kids.

8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 18, 2008

My children Do get an allowance, but it is for things that are above and beyond what is normally expected. Their responsibility to our family is 1. keep their rooms clean 2. help put up laundry 3. help after dinner 4. maintain their good grades. They are 8 and 10.

I do pay them if they vaccuum, dust, take out the trash, anything extra that doesn't involve cleaning up after themselves. I think that they need to learn to respect money and the value of money, and to me, what better way than to earn and spend their own. Their money is for the extra things they want.

They are really into Pokemon cards now, so they have to buy their own and it keeps them from asking me to buy them some every time we are at the store. Plus they take care of things better when they are vested in it. We talk about choices with their money, and they do have to give at church. They also have to buy a present at christmas for a needy child, canned food during the food drive at school, anc canned food at church. I do that because I think they need to learn that they are citizens of the world and that they have a responsibility to help others when they can.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 18, 2008

It's called Capitalism & it's the American way.

My two kids always worked for an allowance (was always very generous) and learned to manage their money at an early age. They're grown now, financially independent, and don't have to rely on credit cards because they know how to wait to get what they can save for.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 18, 2008

I always got an allowance. It was not linked to any chores. I was expected to do chores -- and not doing them was NOT an option! ;)

I was given an allowance so I could get used to having a fixed budget and having to make wise economic choices. Yes, I could blow my entire allowance on gum and candy, but then when I wanted a cool new record (okay, I'm really showing my age here) then I was out-of-luck. I learned how to spend a little on immediate pleasures and how to save for important things I really wanted. In my opinion this is a skill kids today NEED to learn.

We were NEVER paid for chores. Chores were an expectation of being in our family.

Now here's the funny thing. When I was young, my mom worked (also unheard of when I was a kid -- because back then, Moms stayed at home). We had a housekeeper come in everyday afterschool for 2 hours to clean and to cook dinner. When one of them left, my brother asked my mom if he could have the job. He was only 13, but he did a great job. She left a list everyday of what needed to be done, and all the groceries needed to make dinner -- and he worked his little hind-parts off. His reward was a salary of $40 per week (which was a fortune back then.) She paid him as much as she had paid the housekeeper because he did the work. I'm not talking about "honey please dust" -- I'm talking about scrubbing the floors, moving all the furniture and vaccuming (every single day -- my parents were neatniks), scrubbing every bathroom every single day, etc. etc. My mom checked his work each night to make sure it was done to her satisfaction -- if it wasn't, he wouldn't get paid anything for that day. He learned that you have to do a job well, or you won't get paid for it. He never skipped any of it, or complained. You can't tell me he didn't learn good work ethics from that experience.

11. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jul 18, 2008

Hubby and I differing views

My hubby and I have completely different views on this topic. I firmly believe that if children are going to receive money, then they should do something to receive that money. It shouldn't be given to them on a whim. When I was a child, I could do chores around the house for money. I had certain chores each week and received money for doing them. If I wanted to earn extra money, I could do extra chores. Each extra chore was worth a certain amount of money. If I wanted to earn extra money, I could iron my Dad's work shirts for my Mom, bring in firewood, wash the walls, or something of the like.

My hubby believes that we should give our children money whenever they want it. I'm horrified at this idea. They'll grow up thinking money grows on trees or comes from Daddy's pant pocket. :eek:

The way I see it, we're going to implement a chore list. They will get an allowance for doing the work. If they do a good job at school, I'll reward them for that as well. If they want more money, they can do extra chores. I'm not a drill sergeant, but I believe in earning what you get.

Don't even get me started on buying teenagers cars! I told my DH that if our child wanted a car, we'll go to the used car lot and buy reliable A to B type of car for $5000 or less. They don't need a Lexus! My DH, on the other hand, says we should get them a new car! Exactly where is this money coming from? If the child wants a brand new car, then they can get some summer jobs. A used Honda or Toyota will be fine IMHO.

I know these discussions are years off, but I suppose it's something we'll have to iron out when we get there. Unfortunately for DH, it might be sooner than he thinks. :blush:

12. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 18, 2008

My kids have chores they are expected to do (feed their animals, pick up toys, etc.) If my 3 year old doesn't pick up her toys, she loses them. That's pretty much the end of it with her... We don't eat dinner until the animals are fed (my kids understand that they can find snacks if they're hungry, but the animals are pretty much dependent on us. They do not get paid for their chores. If I have to do my son's chores, he has to pay me, just like I would have to pay someone to come in and clean up after me (the only reason I don't do that way with my daughter is that she is just starting to grasp the concept of money).
    However, there is a list of "optionals" my son can do to help me out. He is expected to pick up after himself, put his dirty dishes in the sink and feed his animals. He has the option to vacuum the living areas (living, dining, family rooms), load/unload the dishwasher, collect the trash on trash night and/or clean bathroom/kitchen counters (with wipes... no chemicals for the 11 year old:)). Each job has a $ amount that he earns if he does the chores.
    On a side note, he also has a money-savvy piggy bank - it has 4 compartments (save, spend, donate, invest) and he has to donate at least 10% (usually saved all year and spent on "paper angels" at Christmas time) and invest 10%. Whether he saves or spends the other 80% is up to him.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2008

Yes. Children should receive allowances. And no, the money should not be free. They should have to do something for it. Doing nothing and earning nothing should not be an option.

This should start at the youngest age possible - as soon as a child is old enough to the simplest, easiest tasks.

When I was 4 or 5, I'd go out with my grandfather during crushing season and push the button that made the crushing machine crush the grapes. For that task, I got like a nickel a day.

From that point on, for the rest of my childhood, I always had an age appropriate list of chores to which my allowance was always tied.

One really cool thing my parents did was to make me responsible for some of my own expenses as well. When I was in junior high, my weekly allowance was just slightly more than what bus fare and a cafeteria lunch would cost. I could make my own lunch every day and ride my bike to school and pocket the money, or I could ride the bus and eat a cafeteria lunch and not have much money left over.

Later, in high school, my allowance was basically my pay for working at my dad's business.

Suffice to say that as soon as I reached adulthood, I had a pretty good work ethic.

14. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

I am pro allowances because they give children great opportunities to learn to manage money. My daughters earn allowances, and it has been neat to watch how they handle "their" money. My older daughter, age 11, really has a handle on the money thing now. She takes a percentage of the money and puts it in her savings account, gives some to church, and sets aside some to spend. This gives me some peace of mind that, maybe, when they're older, they'll manage their finances responsibly.

15. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 18, 2008

I don't give my kids an allowance. They have chores that are musts-mow the lawn, feed the dogs, dishes, and help with laundry--and then there are chores they can do for money--weed the entire flower bed, clean the carpets (4 dogs), clean the garage, etc. I don't tell them what to do with their earned money, but if we are shopping and dd "will die" if she doesn't get the latest Jonas Brothers cd, I ask her if she has enough money to get it. DS has really learned to budget his money...he has paid for his guitar lessons for the entire summer :( , but he is doing the chores to earn it and asking for more.

I will not buy them cars and it's because my first one was bought for me and I didn't appreciate it. We have an extra car that they can use(as long as they put gas in it and so forth), so if they want one of their own....they have to buy it.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 18, 2008

I'm kind of torn on the issue. First of all, let me say I do not have kids and never got an allowance as a child. We could do extra chores to earn money, but no weekly allowance.

I can see the benefits of an allowance, but I really don't think it should be just money shelled out by the parents. I think if I ever have kids and use an allowance system it would have rules like the following:
    1. Speicfied chores must be done to satisfaction in a timely manner without harping! Once I teach the chores and give them a couple weeks to get used to the concept of chores for money, they will more or less have to do things without much in the way of reminders from me.
    2. Allowances will be distributed on a certain day of the week and that's it. No advances. How can I teach money management if I allow them to work on credit?
    3. As age increases, so will duties (but so will allowances). Personally, I don't like the word "chores" so I would have to come up with some other word of phrase like family contributions or duties or something else.
    4. Extra work may be done for extra money.
    5. (Not real sure about this) I may or may not require them to put a certain percentage of their allowance in a savings account. My parents did this with all money we earned from them, but not from babysitting or part-time jobs or anything. I really can't say the saving made a big impression on me at the time. We were only allowed to withdraw money from our accounts at Christmas time and when we went on vacation and then only a certain amount (say $20). I don't know if this whole thing was a good idea or wasted effort. I'm not sure young kids would be able to make the connections. But some sort of saving would be involved, even if only in a piggy bank on the dresser.

Just my :2cents:. Take it for what it's worth.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 18, 2008

My parents told us point blank, "If you want a car, you will have to purchase it yourself. We'll help with insurance, but you are completely on your own for gas." I bought my first car when I was a senior in college.

18. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 18, 2008

I thought extra money from extra chores was an allowence i got an allowence but it was from doing chores.

19. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2008

I never got an allowance, but I was able to do chores like mowing the lawn for money when I was older.

I am really good with money-well, actually I'm really cheap! My mom raised me and my sister by herself for a long time. I remember when I was in elementary school we really wanted a VCR. It was when they were newer and pretty expensive. We didn't have the money, but my mom knew we really wanted one, so we saved change in a big money jar. When we had enough money we bought the VCR. I always remember this and I try to never take money for granted.

I bought my own car also. I need $50 extra dollars and my mom and step-dad wouldn't loan it to me. I mowed the lawn and did other things to get the money. I hated it at the time! They ended up buying a car for my sister. (We wont talk about how I feel about that!) But now I'm happy nothing was bought for me. I have much better money management skills than my sister has. Now I just need to rub off on my husband-he spends money like it grows on trees! I almost had a panic attack in Express when he was buying clothes one day!

I'm not sure if I will give my kids an allowance or not. It's going to be at least three years (unless something happens) before we have kids, so I'll have time to think for a while. They will have chores, I'm just not sure how the money will work.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 19, 2008

I never got an allowance. I did chores around the house because I lived there and when people live in a house they take care of it. (Keeping your own house isn't a "job".) My parents make sure that I had everything I needed, and if I wanted something I asked for it. Sometimes I got it and sometimes I didn't. I did get a brand new car for my 16th birthday, and my parents paid for the gas and insurance.

For my 17th birthday I was given a checking account, and my parents started teaching me how to manage finances. They figured with all the expenses of senior year, that was a good time to start so I'd be ready when they sent me to college.

My parents did not allow me to work in high school, and they did not encourage me to work in college. They said it was their job to support me until they had me "grown", and then I'd take over.

And I did. When I graduated from college they signed my car over to me, and I took over all my expenses.

In spite of what some may be thinking, I was perfectly fine once I was on my own. Just because I wasn't given an allowance and was supported by my parents didn't mean than nobody taught me how to manage money. I also knew that there was work required to make the money.

There are plenty of ways to teach responsibile money management other than to give children an allowance. Heck, I know plenty of people with allowances who are a mess with their finances as adults. I think that kids learn the most by how their parents manage their finances.

21. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

When I was a kid, long, long ago, I got an allowance. And I did all kinds of chores for no pay, like cutting the lawn, washing the car, etc. I used my allowance for anything I wanted, often buying a soda or candy on the way home from school, or even something bigger when I had enough.

Things I learned from it:
    • How to manage money (that was it for the week)
    • Some things you have a duty to do (chores)
    • How to save money (if I wanted something I didn't have enough for)
    • My mother loved me (gave me money to do with as I want for no particular reason)

I think it is a good system.

BTW we had a cleaning woman, too, after my father died and my mother went to work full time. But, no way was my brother going to try to get the job...