Do you think I will be required to use a smartboard?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Momma5, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

Am i required to use the smartboard?

It will be my first year teaching and I am not familiar with using a smart board at all. The school I student taught at had them and the first grade I was in, the teacher used it for her math lessons to write on and that was it. The 2nd class, the teacher used it once. Both classes though did not use the chalk board at all and instead used tiny white boards daily to do all their lessons on which I sorta found ineffective to use, especially with the 2nd grade class I was in. I used the smartboard once though to project a literacy lesson that my supervisor observed. I feel most comfortable using the chalk board. The class I will teaching in has one huge blackboard positioned to the side of the students and another one in the front of the room. The only thing is, the smartboatd is bolted to the middle of the board. So, what would I use, the chalkboard to the side of them? Should I face their desks that way then. The principal seems pretty laid back and never really went over the curriculum or how I should teach it during the interview so I'm not sure if she will care how much I use it or not, nor did she ask how much experience I have using one. Would you just use the chalkboard?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 5, 2012

If it's new technology that the school spent money on, they probably will want you to use it. It's really not hard at all and it has tutorials in it's program that takes you through step by step how to use it. I learned more by even just playing with it than anything else.

I have the SmartBoard so it's in the middle of where I do whole group instruction, but I do teach littler kids.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 5, 2012

Ask for SmartBoard training - surely there is PD somewhere in your district on it. This is relatively new technology for most schools, so there should be help somewhere.

If you have one you will want to make the most of it.

5. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

I promise you once you learn to use it you will want to use it for everything. I'm at a new school this year where each class has a smart board. I just received some online training over it. I've heard from the teachers a my school that they never use the white boards, only the smart boards. At my school we have one wall that has a long white board and another wall with the smart board bolted to the wall. Every classroom I have looked at has their students facing the smart board, even in the PK and K rooms.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 5, 2012

It's not that hard. Just go in early and start playing with it.

7. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

If it's there, they want you to use it. Odds are, there is a domain on your teacher evaluation that addresses use of technology. It could hurt your evaluation if you have access to a Smartboard and don't use it.Start playing around with it. It can really liven lessons up by making them more interactive for students. When I started last year, I was intimidated by the Smartboard in my classroom. I spent a day prior to school starting just playing around with it. I'm still not great, but I can use it effectively. It also worked out that my kids had grown up in classrooms with the boards, so they were able to teach me quite a bit too!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Expert interactive board teachers didn't learn it all at once, either.
    Just start with the basics.
    But, since it costs a couple thousand with installation, I'm pretty sure they want you using it!

9. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

I actually just went and printed out a How to smart board tutorial and plan on just playing around with it like you guys suggested and looking at the tutorial guide. I guess it would make sense to use the smart board to write on every day verses the chalkboard. We have an orientation the first day where I would set up my class room afterwards and then the next 3 days are all half days, so I will just stay afterwards and learn how to use it I guess.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 5, 2012

That's good that you plan to learn! You can still use the chalkboard on the side as well.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 5, 2012

I'm pretty sure they'll want you to use it! I'm in the same boat- I've never used one (never been in a school that had the money for them) and don't know the first thing about it. However, my new district got a grant to put one in every classroom starting this fall. I think it would definitely make me look bad if I just shoved it off to the side and kept using the whiteboard. I don't think you need to use it for every single lesson, but find small ways to incorporate it to start with.

12. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

And be sure to start an account at http://exchange.smarttech.com

There are a lot of great lesson etc. there that have been designed by teachers who are very skilled with the smartboard. Lots of good, interactive stuff. Even templates that you can adapt to your own lessons.

13. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 5, 2012

smart boards are great for their interactive nature. Kids can come up to the board and click and drag things around, which my students love. You can also use it for brainstorming or note-taking sessions, just like you would on the whiteboard, but then you can save it to reference later, which is wonderful!

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 5, 2012

The question should be .... Why wouldn't I want to use my Smartboard? You will see that having a smartboard is an invaluable asset. You can do so many things. Do ask for training. That is the key to overcoming your smartboard fear! You will LOVE it!

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 5, 2012

:yeahthat:

When I moved to my 2nd school I was "forced" to learn, and once I did...OMG. Now I'm moving to a classroom without one :( You will love it once you get the hang of it!

16. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 5, 2012

If your board is a Promethean Board then they do have some trainings on their website. I know some are free. If your district offers the training I would take it. Here the district sent out an email telling teachers if they did not get the training done the board would most likely be removed from their room. I see so much possibility with the board I took the training (it was free through the district)

http://www.prometheanplanet.com/en-us/ has many lessons, which you can revise, and trainings.

You need a computer with ActiveInspire.

Since it is bolted infront of the chalkboard I would think the teachers would have some training available. Also check with your coworkers see what help/advise they can give you.

17. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Aug 6, 2012

I would even suggest downloading Smart Notebook software and playing around with it on your computer.

18. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Aug 6, 2012

I use my smartboard all day! Really. I have created lessons for reading, working w/words, writing, math, social studies, and science! I do use my whiteboard as well. If I want to write something as I am in the middle of a lesson, I write it on the whiteboard. It is definitely a good idea to see if you can take a copy of the smart notebook software home and install it on your computer. That way, you can experiment with what it will do and you can create lessons at home. But, I have noticed that certain versions are better than others. I think I have Smart Notebook 10 on my computer at home and really like it compared to the version we have at school. They are compatible though.

Good luck!
    Cindy

19. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2012

You've got to use is Sista!
    Show them that you are up to date with what the children need for a WHOLE LEARNING experience.
    You can do it!
    Rebel1

20. Dr Kevlar

Dr Kevlar Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

This is something that has really irked me about my experience in grad school (which has been my introduction to teaching as well). The school emphasizes the use of technology. Our texts rave about it. There is not a single course that gives us the opportunity to gain competency with it. Queries about training are answered with: "Oh, when you get to a school just play around with it." This is like getting a driver's license without actually driving the car and having someone say: "Just go aout and drive around. You'll figure it out."

I appreciate the links being provided here. I can at least investigate somewhat in advance...

21. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 21, 2012

Similar experience in my undergraduate program. I mentioned this to my Poli Sci professor who without me knowing discussed it with the Dean of Education at a meeting. I was then contacted by the Dean and after meeting with him wound up on the Department's Advisory Council. They said they were going to try to do more but I don't know if they ever did.