Do you talk about work at HOME?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 11, 2017

My partner knows that I don't talk about work when I'm outside of school. I'll mention when I'm tired, mentally drained, or had a demanding day, but I never go into specifics (nor does he ask any questions). Over the years, I've gotten more and more protective of my personal time (meaning, I don't like to dwell on work when I'm at home).

On the other hand, my partner talks about his job quite often (he's a RN). He says it's therapeutic for him.

Am I in the minority? Do YOU talk about work when you're with your partner, family, or friends?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2017

My husband's dad was a teacher so he 'gets it' ...I don't talk about kids so much, but I do talk about work 'situations'..

Peregrin5 likes this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Feb 11, 2017

All the time! I try not to-- and annoy the people around me -- but most of my people ARE teachers so it can't be helped.
    :rofl:

5. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Feb 11, 2017

I leave work at work and don't even think about it until it is time to go back on Mon. I spent too many years working 24/7 on my school job. No more.

linswin23 and Backroads like this.
  6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 11, 2017

Last night, he said, "Can't we just go to the grocery store or restaurant without you running into a teacher, parent, or former student? You know everyone!"

That's par for the course, though, no?

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 11, 2017

I don't talk about work much while I am at home, but I am running into problems with my partner where he is getting miffed that I work a little too much. Especially this year. He comes home and he wants to talk all about his day, whereas what I like to do when I'm stressed is kind of shut down and not talk about anything. I do a lot of work on the weekends, because I'm at a new school, teaching new classes, at a new grade level, and so this is essentially year one for me again, and I also decided to do National Board, and I can't say no to people so I get a lot of extra work. He isn't having any of it.

8. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Feb 11, 2017

When my hubby asks how my day was, I let him know how my day was! I'm not one to just say "fine." Don't get me wrong, it's not all we talk about but I like venting and sharing "you won't believe what a kid/teacher said today" stories with him.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 11, 2017

I'm single, but I do talk about work with my parents when I call home because they're both teachers. I think it's a fine line between being "therapeutic" and "obsessive" where all you do is think about/talk about work. I think it's easy for a job like teaching to take over your whole life! In the location where I first taught, it was an extremely small town and there really wasn't a way to make friends outside of work, so all of my friends were teachers. We'd often go out on weekends or after school and end up spending the entire time talking about work, which I didn't like. I now live in a large city and purposely worked on expanding my social circle so that now a large percentage of my friends aren't teachers. I may occasionally tell them a funny story, but I like that for the most part when we go out we talk about other things. I have a couple of "work friends" too, so if I'm feeling the need to vent about school I can always invite them out for a happy hour or something.

10. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2017

I do some days. There are just some days, especially this year, that I need to vent about particular situations. Thankfully, my difficulties this year are a one year problem.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Feb 11, 2017

Some days are harder than others, and I think those days show on my face, so I'm not asked. My kids are really rough, in more ways than I can count. Someone once knew where I worked and I got pity and "Oh, you poor thing." It made me feel like a victim, and I didn't like that feeling. My job is hard, and I give 100% from the moment I arrive (early) until I leave. But I turn off the light, lock the door, and leave my day behind me. Rarely will I talk about work at home - that portion of my life is turned off once I leave. On rare occasions, I will talk about someone I work with, but not much. I guess I would like to think that they are at home, not thinking about work either.

12. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Feb 11, 2017

I'm the same way.

We both get home around the same time, so we usually talk about work for 20 minutes or so, vent, and then don't talk about it much for the rest of the day. On a particularly difficult day sometimes this talking happens over a good drink.

cocobean likes this.
  13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Feb 11, 2017

My husband is a coach so we will occasionally talk shop. Usually, our conversations aren't about work though.

14. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Comrade

Feb 11, 2017

Yes, I talk about work with my fiance here and there. Most of the times it be about the funny stuff one of the kids done in class that day or me complaining about not wanting to do lesson plans and parent meetings. I recently just finished complaining to him about preparing for Monday, but other than that I really do not say much about work unless I had a pain in the butt day then I will talk all day about it.

15. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2017

Usually, I'm getting home after 12ish hours in the classroom, and as an introvert, interactions are the last thing I need after that :p THankfully, my wife understands me well, and we are able to just relax together (well, except right now...with my math competition test writing, I haven't had a break in a month or more it seems). I share a few key bits, but not extensively. Also, when with family, I will talk about education a bit more generically, and share about my class somewhat, but I don't tend to go too into detail. I think as many others are saying, it's just the need to breathe at some point.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Feb 12, 2017

My husband and I work together, so yeah.

linswin23 likes this.
  17. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

ALL the time. Boyfriend is used to it now though, and he's good for bouncing science and math ideas off of when I'm planning (I think he'll be a little sad when I'm departmentalized next year and only teaching literacy and humanities).

18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Companion

Feb 13, 2017

I live with my parents but I don't tell them a lot because they don't really understand much about teaching. I do talk to my boyfriend about it and he is used to it. :)

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 13, 2017

I try to keep it minimal, just as Rockhubby tries to keep talk about his work minimal. He doesn't quite get how my job works, and I have NO IDEA how to handle IT or online security issues. However, if one of us is having a rough or triumphant time, we'll listen to one another.

Backroads likes this.
  20. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Feb 13, 2017

My dad and wife both teach, so yes, work does come up quite frequently.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 13, 2017

Sometimes I'll talk about school at home. Usually situations. I don't use student's names but I'll mention a kid here or there like "oh, that student who likes that song...he wanted to sing it all day". Nothing really specific. I'd rather keep my mind off work when i'm at home.
    My husband doesn't talk about his job much but sometimes he will if something funny happened or something strange. I actually have a friend who works in his building so he will sometimes tell me when he ran into her, etc.