Do you suffer from standing for too long at work? Opinions wanted please

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MatMan, Feb 5, 2018.

?

Do you suffer from pain or fatigue from long periods of standing whilst at work?

1. Yes, very regularly

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Yes, but not very often

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MatMan

MatMan Rookie

Feb 5, 2018

Hi all,
    I am conducting a study into how prolonged standing affects workers and I'm really keen to hear about whether this is something that affects teachers or not? Do you find that standing for too long during the day is causing pain or fatigue? Or do you find that this isn't a problem that affects you?

Please post your thoughts below or take part in the poll

MM

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 5, 2018

I hope this isn't going to lead to you spamming shoe products. Is this a college homework assignment?

4. MatMan

MatMan Rookie

Feb 6, 2018

No spamming I promise! I am from a commercial business but I promise this is for research purposes so won't mention the product or business I'm involved with (definitely not shoes). As for the research, we know that standing for too long in general causes pains and health problems but I'm keen to find out how people in different workplaces are affected. So is standing as much of a problem for teachers as it is for hair dressers? Or do you find that whilst lecturing you are able to keep mobile enough that you don't really suffer any discomfort? That's what I'm trying to find out across a range of professions.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 6, 2018

I noticed a huge difference with my feet and legs when we moved buildings. Our old building had wood and carpet flooring. The new building has concrete and tile. More leg and foot aches. Varicose veins. Ankle, hip, and knee issues. I was in my 20's then, so it wasn't just a getting older issue.

I walk around a lot. I rarely sit down for more than a few minutes when kids are in the room.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 6, 2018

We have concrete and tile. I need squish and arch support. I hurt anywhere from my arches, calves, hips to lower back.

7. MatMan

MatMan Rookie

Feb 6, 2018

Interesting comment Ima. Cold floors are actually one of the factors for the same issue in industrial environments, such as assembly benches or packing areas, so I'm not surprised at all.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Feb 6, 2018

Only when I have lunchroom duty, which is NOT THIS YEAR WOOHOOO!!!!

9. MatMan

MatMan Rookie

Feb 6, 2018

Haha bonus!

10. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Feb 6, 2018

My standing and sitting added to my blood clot. I had other risk factors, but either standing all day, or sitting for conferences or grading papers added to me getting one about 4 years ago. Still dealing with that. The right shoes help, but I had to get permission from my current P to wear my sneakers to work--she only wants use in dress shoes. My problem is since I'm English, I'm usually reading, so if I am walking around, I'm also carrying a heavy textbook.

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 6, 2018

Yes, we're on our feet pretty much all day! But, while hair dressers are in one spot, we're walking around desks, so maybe a mat (it seems like that's what you're researching for?) wouldn't be as effective.

12. MatMan

MatMan Rookie

Feb 6, 2018

Thanks for the reply :) This is kind of what I was thinking. Lack of movement is the biggest problem for most people. When you walk your muscles squeeze blood around the body which helps with circulation, but when you just stand still the blood tends to pool in the lower limbs. So I was wondering if teachers managed to avoid this by being generally more active or if they too suffered from the problem.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 6, 2018

I easily get 10,000 steps on my Fitbit every day.

14. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Feb 6, 2018

I am actually glad I stand more than I sit all day -- when I taught online, I had terrible back pain and gained weight from sitting too much!

MatMan likes this.
  15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 6, 2018

I have a cushioned mat I stand on when writing using the Elmo and projector. If I’m not standing there, I’m walking around. Like others have stated, getting Fitbit goals are pretty easy.

What’s an endless source of fun for me is comparing my days to my nonteacher friends. The only one who beats me is training for a marathon.

MatMan likes this.
  16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2018

I stand the majority of the day day in heels. No complaints

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 6, 2018

Feet and legs hurt a bit first week of school, but then I am fine. Standing is healthier for you than sitting (generally speaking).

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 6, 2018

You go girl.

I don’t even wear heels to special events anymore, but I’m blessed to have both feet so it’s not a bad trade off.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 7, 2018

I rarely stand still so I'm usually in good shape. When I worked in retail or banking, THAT would kill me.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 7, 2018

All sorts of medical problems makes it more comfortable to sit, so tutoring is perfect for me. Teaching is much more physical than most people would assume.

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2018

That is so true! A few years ago I had a medical issue that required me to limit standing for a few months. My doctor asked about my job (to see if I would need a note for my employer) and said something like, "Oh, you're a teacher, so you can totally sit down all day." Uh, no. Even as a high school teacher, there's so much standing and walking around. It's not usually like the movies where someone just sits at a desk or stands in front of the board all day.

ms.irene likes this.