Do you share your room?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Caesar753, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

I do look out and try to make the situation survivable. But if/when a conflict should arise, my seniority and me being inthe class longer better have more weight for leverage.

We actually don't float at my school, but I could foresee it in the future. I am making that political grab for the power now. If I don't make my position known to the admin, then we could end up in a position that a teacher in there for 1 period has just as much say over control and setup as the teacher in there for 5 periods.

2. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

good point, that's why it should fall back to seniority or in your case, who has the higher position.

Examples like yours is why a pecking order is so important.

3. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

pecking order is > years on the job.

4. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

I floated for two years. My advise is to put yourself in the floater's shoes and help make it easier. Leave the room if possible (I agree with the poster who said to get a memory stick for your computer files). Find another phone to use when floater is teaching. Make room for the floater to store some items. Make sure your room is ready/ clean/ empty at the her class times. Give her time before school to set up her area so she does not need to set up while the students wait.
    You can set ground rules (nobody is allowed near your desk, no eating/ drinking, etc).
    Talk to administration to see if they can make it easier (have computer/ phone available for you in another room, locks for equipment that can not be put away, etc)
    Believe me...very few people want to be floaters.

5. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

Sharing a room!

Do onto others, what you would like to have done to you! The golden rule works wonders at all times. I have been teaching for two years, this upcoming school year will be my third. My first year I was given the old science lab, I taught fifth grade and in there I had three art teachers and a counselor along with my desk and 21 children. I tried to show kindness and respect to the other teachers and I earned their respect. Now, I am great friends with all of them. My second year I had 27 students and an ESE teacher in my room with her desk and some space for a student. Again respect worked wonders. Next year I won't have a teacher in my room, but if I did it wouldn't bother me that much. Just be respectful of their stuff. I always left their things alone and instructed my students to do the same. Everyone got along.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 10, 2007

Well said, Alice and Eneli!

Teachers are treated so poorly and abused by the media so often, we need to help and support each other as much as possible.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2007

The key to sharing a classroom is to be considerate of each other. The way that we have worked it out is that everyone has her own spot to store stuff in the classroom. Each department in my school has an office and each teacher has a laptop so planning time without a classroom is a non-issue. The only problem I have ever had is with a teacher that likes to write her notes on the board in 1st period and leave them up all day. She would post signe around the room saying "Do not erase board." I taught physics in that room and would need to work problems on the board. She would than get so mad when I erased her work and she would have to re-write her notes. I just found out that we are in the same classroom again next year.

8. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

if it's her room, don't erase the board

9. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

figure something out.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2007

Overheads and projectors connected to a PC seem to be needed in a sharing situation. If not, then at least one of those nifty sliding blackboards used in many colleges. That would ease many problems, I am sure.

11. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 10, 2007

I wish I could have roved in your classroom last year!

12. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2007

Thanks. I am one of those who subscribe to the "do unto others" philosophy of life. I have been a roamer, and I know what I would like the situation to be like.