Do you share your room?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Caesar753, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2007

We were just notified that next year there will be 6-8 roving teachers in the building and that we will likely have to give up our classroom during one of our preps. I know that no one chooses to be a roving teacher and that it really stinks for them, but I hate the idea of not being able to use my room on my prep. Everything I do is on the computer, so not having a computer on my prep is like not having a prep! Ugh!

Anyway. How many of you share a classroom with another person? How do you keep your things secure? I know that my personal belongings and the department's high-tech equipment is safe and secure when I'm in the room to watch it... but what about when I'm not there?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2007

I've almost always shared. This year I had no homeroom, so I was the "guest" in someone else's homeroom.

I was very lucky. The person who shared his room with me was a total sweetheart. He told me to make myself at home, gave me the top 2 drawers in the file cabinet, gave me access to the storage cabinet, the works.

We both made sure to lock what had a lock, and not to keep valuables elsewhere.

It's the norm in my school, so most of us find it to be no big deal. The rooms are secure because of the computers in there.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2007

I have almost always shared my room. If I need to work at my desk, I stay in the room and work. We all do this in my school. I have been the roamer and the host, so I can approach this issue from both sides. When I was a roamer, my "host" would not allow me to erase anything from her board (even though I taught in there the last two periods of the day) - how do you teach without using the board from time to time! She also said I couldn't use her overhead projector - I got the principal involved in that one. I was not allowed to keep ANYTHING in her room, and my students were not allowed to use ANYTHING (even the dictionaries). This woman was supposed to be my mentor too. Needless to say, it was not a good year.
    When I am the host, I talk to the person who will be in my room and ask what kind of space s/he needs. I keep bulletin board space, and sometimes there is a second teacher desk in my room. My school purchased general supplies are available, as are the computers in the room. Really, they are not OUR rooms, they are the school's classrooms to be utilized as needed.

5. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 3, 2007

I was a rover last year and will be one again this year (most likely). I hated it, but made the best of it. The ideal is to have a classroom, but if your don't life is a lot easier when you have a teacher who cares about you as a teacher.

I say, if you have a rover in your classroom try and make them feel comfortable and be respectful of them as a teacher. The reason I say this is because (I roved into 4 different classrooms) I had some rude teachers. They talked onthe phone during my class, had guest come in and talked loudly with them, didn't leave board space for me, butted into my lessons and yealed at my students. It was insane. I say don't think of the class as your class and things will go easier.

Embrace the rover!

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

Thanks for the tips so far!

I'm not very possessive about the classroom and boardspace, so I'm happy to share them. It's two things that bother me: The first, as I mentioned before, has to do with the computer. I use the computer to write and submit lesson plans, enter grades, update our class website, research new activities, and create worksheets and handouts. Without being able to access my computer on my prep, I'm going to have to spend extra time outside of my contract doing those things, and that bothers me. =(

The other thing has to do with keeping materials and equipment secure. I don't mean to suggest that I'm worried that the roving teacher will take my stuff or something. Rather, it's the students I'm worried about. Students at my school are... less than respectful of other people's stuff. I've seen other classrooms destroyed and looted by students who feel disgruntled or bored. I know that I can keep an eye on my own kids in my room, but I can't watch my stuff when there's another class in my room. And since all the equipment would be signed out to me and I'd be responsible for it, I want to make sure that it stays safe and in good working order.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 3, 2007

Could you block off your desk putting it in a corner? Put a file cabinet between you and the class. Put up a divider or make L shape bookcase and sort of hide your desk and you and be allowed to work at your computer. For personal things a cheap cupboard with a lock might be extremely cheap insurance. Big Lots have cheap furniture that would work great.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

My desk is already in a corner where I try to keep all my 'me' stuff. I don't feel comfortable blocking myself off from the rest of the class, so I don't think I'll be moving bookcases or cabinets anywhere. I guess I'm not too worried about my personal stuff getting taken by students because it's not that interesting or valuable to anyone except me.

I'm mostly worried about the LCD projector, my supplementary audio enhancement system, TV, and all the things that go with them (remotes, cords, microphones, whatever). I can't lock those things up anywhere without them being inaccessible to the roving teacher.

Kids at my school can be really awful about taking stuff, though. Last year they were taking all the mouse balls from the computer mice (mouses?). Our school had to switch to all optical mice because of it. They take cords and batteries and other little things that make the bigger thing inoperable. It stinks. =(

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 3, 2007

As a department chair, I have had to oversee (and intervene with) "floaters" and their hosts. One thing I tell the host teacher is that the classroom is the property of the school district and the tax payer... not that one particular teacher. If, as an admin, I make the decision to put another teacher in room x during 2nd period, then during 2nd period, that teacher gets full rights of use in that room. You can ask the floater if you can stay in the room during his/her class, but you can't/shouldn't demand it.

10. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 3, 2007

My idea was if you were in your corner and somewhat out of site, you could watch the things in your room. You would be like a quiet little mouse. Don't get up and move around. Do your computer things and keep a eye on the things that are checked out to you.

11. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

I shared my room the first year of teahing (2 years ago). It sucked. The other teacher used it in the morning and then I used it in the afternoon. I had to make sure everything was put away everyday. Also the other teacher's students were rough with materials in the room and things were broke. I teach Pk. When I had my preps in the morning, I would use my computer. My computer was in the room where we shared.

12. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 3, 2007

All of the classrooms that I roved into the teachers stayed in there when I was teaching. I didn't like it, but it's a compromise. It didn't bother me when the teacher was invisible and by that I mean they didn't talk to my students, but in my lessons or use the phone while I was there. I don't see a problem with you staying as long as you’re respectful.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

I guess I hadn't even considered staying, but that's something to think about. I don't want to infringe on the rover's space--and I know I'd be annoyed with another teacher in the room with me all the time.

I was really just whining about not being able to have the use of my room on my prep. I pretty much whine all the time. Eh. =)

14. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Jul 4, 2007

My school recently added the sixth grade to middle school, causing huge classroom issues (even though we got another 20 classrooms through additions). Since then every teacher has two classrooms. Your main classroom (three periods are taught in) and your secondary classroom (two periods are taught in). Every classroom comes equipped with two teacher's desks, one computer, and one projector. The biggest problem is deciding on how to set-up the desks. Most teachers just opt for the normal grid system, in our case five rows with five columns. Normally most teachers leave their classroom when the other teacher is using it. This works out well since there's always computers to use in the "staff development center." Also board space is somewhat of a problem for those teachers that write a lot of notes (or problems in math). Storage can be a problem if the teachers use different textbooks. I teach eighth grade whereas the other classroom teacher teaches seventh so we have two sets of 30 textbooks for the class, and then the student textbooks at the end of the year (280).

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2007

Bravo to all of you who make this work. I don't even like sharing my closet.

16. Chocolate_N._O.

Chocolate_N._O. Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

We had 2 rooms renovated last year so for 3 weeks, 2 classes had to float. The problem with that was, neither classroom was mine to begin with but the moved a first year teacher into my room and made me float. Their reasoning was, she had some major discipline issues and they didn't want to put anymore burden on the first year teacher who was already struggling. Boo flippin who is my opinion on that. It's not my problem she couldn't handle her own poop.

On top of that, she ended up quitting right before the change went into effect so they hired a recently retired teacher to fill her spot and he took my room. SO be it. He was a great guy and he viewed the room as my room and he was simply a guest in it. I had wrestling supplies in there, we were in the middle of the season. And to top it off, we had an issue with class books for my class.

We have 2 sets of books, a home book, and a class book. Well, I was in 5 different rooms having to move everything I needed from one place to the other. So I told the kids, for the 4 weeks we floated, they had to bring their home books in even though they didn't have lockers. The principal emailed me and told me I needed to find a cart and push the 35 books I needed (yes, I had classes with 35) from class to class. I told her no. (good thing I have tenure I suppose).

What made me me so angry about the entire situation was...
    1. I had more tenure than the original teacher that they made plans around

2. Because she can't handle her own crap, and I could, I get shafted. (the admin was trying to spin it that I could handle it, I had things under control and basically blowing sunshine up my butt so I'd quit complaining)

3. Admin wanting me to push 35 books around all day so students wouldn't have to carry around 1 a day. 1 parent complained.

4. the 6th period class I used (the class with 35 kids) was an ESE room. It had 20 desks originally and so I moved 15 more in. But the regular teacher didn't want 35 desks in there, so he would put the up in a different room every morning. When he finally stopped that, He would simply have the rows so tight that it couldn't be done for me. He had 10 kids per class, and they simply sat 2 per row. I had every desk taken and having 35 kids in a spot he deeemed appropiate for 10 kids just wouldn't work. He would tell me not to write on his whiteboard, etc.