Do you make Valentine bags, boxes, or what?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherSandra, Jan 8, 2008.

1. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 12, 2008

We have a homeschool Valentine party---- about 100 kids participate. We learned quickly that little shoe boxes wouldn't work, so we decorated "gift" type bags with doilies and foam hearts and stickers. They have handles and were easy to carry.

I'm so very sad for my kids this year they won't get to go to the pary...... I"m Trying to figure out a way to get their valentines and bags to the pary via a friend.

2. Emmyer98

Emmyer98 Rookie

Jan 25, 2008

Last year with my Kindergarten class we did decorated tissue boxes. This year I am with preschool and I think we are going to do decorated paper bags.

I took digital pictures of all of my students. Using a word processing program I typed the child's name under his picture. Each child will receive a copy of this list. I will urge them to cut up the list and paste it on their Valentines. So the valentines for Jimmy will have a picture of Jimmy on it.

3. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 26, 2008

We can't have Valentine's Day parties, or do any other holidays. :down: It makes me sad.

4. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Jan 26, 2008

I use this simple idea--You get the large paper grocery sacks and cut a slit in the front at the top. Then fold over the very top and staple it. Have the kids decorate them before this. We line them up under the board and the kids "mail" their valentines. They look like little mailboxes and the cards stay unseen until the party.

5. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Jan 27, 2008

We can't celebrate holidays either but I allow kids to bring in cards and refer to them as "Friendship Cards" and we talk about friendship. It's also a good learning experience with writing/recognizing names, writing your own name, mail, etc.

Last year I had families donate shoe boxes or other boxes and we had a family activity at school (after class) where they would work with their child to decorate their boxes. I found some super-clearance scrapbook paper (5 cents each) and got some other things and they made really cute boxes. I allowed other students to bring something decorated from home or work on decorating a bag in class.

I think this year I may just have them staple pages together after they have drawn pictures on them.

6. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Jan 27, 2008

Last year I had the kids make their holders out of large tan mailing envelopes (i think maybe they were 10 by 13) I have heart tracers of many sizes, and all colors of construction paper to choose from. The went crazer and layered hearts and wrote ________'s Valentines. Our 6th grade buddies actually came in to help with all of our tracing and cutting.

7. Weaver

Weaver Rookie

Feb 12, 2008

Monica, I do the same exact thing! I have 21 kids in class so to have them open up at daycare can cause a fight of who's is who! I also wrap shoeboxes with white board paper and the kids decorate with all sorts of items.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

We made "mailboxes" today that are done with paper plates... cut one in half, decorate, then staple or lace onto a full-sized one.

We're asking everyone to write their own names on their valentines (and i have a LOT of parents who are trying to get the kids to do part of it themselves instead of just doing it for them... YAY!!!!!) but not their classmates... I have too many in my group for whom it would just be incredibly frustrating. Writing their OWN name 26 times is enough handwriting practice for most of them. :)

We are making valentines tomorrow, though. ;)