Do you make Valentine bags, boxes, or what?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherSandra, Jan 8, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2008

I am so excited...I LOVE Valentine's day at school. The kids are tickled pink over the holiday...for many of them, this will be their first time to open up so many cards, enjoy candy, and play games.

I was wondering...what type of Valentine "holders/containers" do you choose to use?

3. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 8, 2008

I have done shoe boxes covered in tissue and have the kids decorate with stamps, markers, stickers. i have also made bags, and mailboxes.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 8, 2008

I have used construction paper hearts ( stapled together) and also plain lunch bags that they decorate. I tape them to the edge of the front of their desk for easy delivery. One of the best tips I ever picked up was for the kids to bring the cards with no name written on the envelope. They just sign their own name to the card. That way when they go around to deliver cards it is much easier and more time efficient, since most younder kids can't read the names of all their classmates.

5. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jan 8, 2008

I have a decorated box that I show my students. They are to decorate any kind of container (icecream tub, detergent box, shoe box, cereal box....) any way they want. I tell them to make sure their names are big so we can see them. The children can bring the decorated boxes to school starting a week before the big day. I always have some extra boxes (I love using detergent boxes with their flap lids. I vacuum them out first.) To integrate math/social studies into this art project, the children vote on the prettiest, most elaborate, etc..... just make up titles for the boxes. Graph the results. We are allowed two parties a year, Valentines and Christmas. So, we have our party, then they stuff their boxes in their bookbags and take them home. We do not open them at school. Good grief!! :lol: On the days we give out the Valentine cards. Of course, you know that in today's society/schools ;) we don't just give cards. There are treatbags galore. So make sure the boxes are big enough for all the treatbags and candy boxes. Of course, you can ask your parents not to send these but they love to do this. Anyway, on the giving out days, I have the children sit in group time and each child will read the names on the cards and match them with the names on the boxes. This is part of reading/literacy. One of the best parts of this time is that the boxes are all so different. They are great!! When anyone brings theirs in, there's a rush to look at it. :eek:hmy: So, I have to set guidelines of when we get to look at them. I put them on the shelf in front of our windows so everyone's is lined up. Hope this helps. Sorry so long. But, I love this kind of stuff in my teaching. Have fun!!!!

6. monica

monica Comrade

Jan 8, 2008

I typically let the kids wrap shoe boxes in white, red or pink bulletin board paper. They decorate them with stickers, markers, etc...

They bring their cards in through out the week to put in their friend's box. I do encourage them to write their friend's names on the envelopes. I think it's fantastic homework practice! Then it's great to take time for them to "read" and find the correct box. I LOVE it!!

They don't open the box at school though. They take them home after our party (Valentine centers & snack)!

7. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jan 9, 2008

In my past we just deocrated either white or brown lunch bags. This year I want to do something different, mainly because I have a new school and different program that I'm teaching.

Has anyone ever had the parents and the kids make them together? If so, do you typically have parents that don't do it so kids don't have one? I'm thinking about doing that this year, but wondering if we'll have to make some at school.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 9, 2008

The 4's class at my school last year used it as "family homework" to decorate a shoebox. It looked like all the kids did it, but I don't know if there were any who did it at school instead of at home.

My class last year just did white paper bags that we decorated. No names on the Valentines, just dump them in.

Most of my kids recognize their classmate's names, so I might try names this year. But, then again, I have 5 kids with A-names andl ots of others with 2 that start with the same letter (plus a Jake and a Jack) so that gets a little tricky. But it's still a ways away and we haven't decided yet ;)

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2008

I don't know yet either. I have a small morning class, so it might be ok to use their names. Not sure. I don't know what we're doing for bags/boxes yet either. It's a fun holiday and am always looking for something unique. Maybe I'll look into going to McDonalds as a field trip and Valentine party, but we have to go in vans and it takes a couple of trips if our two groups go together.

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 10, 2008

I've done several different types over the years. The easiest one is the white paper bag decorated, here's a link to the picture (for some reason when I try to post pics they're too BIG)
    But my favorite and most sturdy one was last year when a parent donated oatmeal boxes, they were adorable! Here's a picture: v-tine oatmeal boxes

I have 7 names that start with A, and 3 with B so no names on our valentine's this year! I've had nothing but problems with putting names on the cards so we did away with it years ago- it's much MUCH easier now :) You can read more about how our v-tine party works here:
    Vanna's Valentine Page

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2008

Love the oatmeal boxes, Vanna! Now I wonder how many parents would have oatmeal boxes in this day and age. THink I'll give it a try! Thanks for the cute idea!

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 10, 2008

I know, I thought the same thing too- but this particular parent worked in a hospital cafeteria so she had access to tons of them :)

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2008

Well, maybe it will inspire them to make a nice hot breakfast or bake oatmeal cookies!!!

14. revlove

revlove Rookie

Jan 11, 2008

Love the oatmeal container myself, but I too wonder how many folks have oatmeal boxes anymore. I know, I don't! :lol:

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 11, 2008

We would, my daughter eats it everyday. Oatmeal is her favorite.

16. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 11, 2008

Twice I decorated shoe boxes. The local Payless Shoes donates them. The first year, I covered them with paper and let the kids decorate the paper. It was a lot of work. The second year, they painted them. They loved it, but the paint didn't cover well even with touch ups.

Last year I used large (market size) brown paper shopping bags. I cut a large rectange a quarter way down from the top. The rectange worked as a mail drop. I folded over the top and stapled it close. Then I added paper handles. (Trader Joe bags already have the handles.) The kids decorated the bags with die cut hearts, doilies and stickers. These were so cute and so easy. And they were stapled close so no one got into their valentines and none fell out.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 12, 2008

We have a homeschool Valentine party---- about 100 kids participate. We learned quickly that little shoe boxes wouldn't work, so we decorated "gift" type bags with doilies and foam hearts and stickers. They have handles and were easy to carry.

I'm so very sad for my kids this year they won't get to go to the pary...... I"m Trying to figure out a way to get their valentines and bags to the pary via a friend.

18. Emmyer98

Emmyer98 Rookie

Jan 25, 2008

Last year with my Kindergarten class we did decorated tissue boxes. This year I am with preschool and I think we are going to do decorated paper bags.

I took digital pictures of all of my students. Using a word processing program I typed the child's name under his picture. Each child will receive a copy of this list. I will urge them to cut up the list and paste it on their Valentines. So the valentines for Jimmy will have a picture of Jimmy on it.

19. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 26, 2008

We can't have Valentine's Day parties, or do any other holidays. :down: It makes me sad.

20. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Jan 26, 2008

I use this simple idea--You get the large paper grocery sacks and cut a slit in the front at the top. Then fold over the very top and staple it. Have the kids decorate them before this. We line them up under the board and the kids "mail" their valentines. They look like little mailboxes and the cards stay unseen until the party.

21. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Jan 27, 2008

We can't celebrate holidays either but I allow kids to bring in cards and refer to them as "Friendship Cards" and we talk about friendship. It's also a good learning experience with writing/recognizing names, writing your own name, mail, etc.

Last year I had families donate shoe boxes or other boxes and we had a family activity at school (after class) where they would work with their child to decorate their boxes. I found some super-clearance scrapbook paper (5 cents each) and got some other things and they made really cute boxes. I allowed other students to bring something decorated from home or work on decorating a bag in class.

I think this year I may just have them staple pages together after they have drawn pictures on them.

22. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Jan 27, 2008

Last year I had the kids make their holders out of large tan mailing envelopes (i think maybe they were 10 by 13) I have heart tracers of many sizes, and all colors of construction paper to choose from. The went crazer and layered hearts and wrote ________'s Valentines. Our 6th grade buddies actually came in to help with all of our tracing and cutting.

23. Weaver

Weaver Rookie

Feb 12, 2008

Monica, I do the same exact thing! I have 21 kids in class so to have them open up at daycare can cause a fight of who's is who! I also wrap shoeboxes with white board paper and the kids decorate with all sorts of items.

24. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 12, 2008

We made "mailboxes" today that are done with paper plates... cut one in half, decorate, then staple or lace onto a full-sized one.

We're asking everyone to write their own names on their valentines (and i have a LOT of parents who are trying to get the kids to do part of it themselves instead of just doing it for them... YAY!!!!!) but not their classmates... I have too many in my group for whom it would just be incredibly frustrating. Writing their OWN name 26 times is enough handwriting practice for most of them. :)

We are making valentines tomorrow, though. ;)