Do you have names for your classes?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jlj, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Feb 3, 2008

Just wondering....do your PK3 & PK4 classes have cute names or just called PK3/PK4? We've considered naming them because the children think that once they turn 4 they should go in the PK4 class & those turning 5 think they should go to Kindergarten. They don't understand they have to wait until the new school year. As sure as I call my class together by saying "PK4" or "K4", at least one of them will remind me that they are 5 now, not 4. Anyway, just wondering.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 3, 2008

Ours aren't real interesting... we move at the start of the school year, not mid-year... so we have

Beginner I (young 2's)
    Beginner II (older 2's, most of their class is 3 or almost at this point in the year)
    Intermediates (my class... 3's by September, my oldest kid turned 4 in October, my youngest kids won't be 4 until summer or next fall)
    PreK I (4 by mid-September, most of these kids iwll go to K next year, but some won't beo ld enough yet)
    PreK 2 (kids who are just a few months too young for K and/or did PreK I last year... most of their class is already 5)

not real interesting :)

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 3, 2008

My son's center is all animal names. He graduated from the Lion's room to the Elephant room. Next will be the Tigers. Other than a cute door display, there is no themes in these rooms related to their names.

5. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Feb 4, 2008

We mix our kids together a bit, age-wise, especially because we have a lot of special ed integrated classes. We either go by teachers "Ms Bethany's Class" "Ms Katie's Class" etc. or by room numbers "Room 202" etc.

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Feb 4, 2008

back when I worked in a preschool, they had different color shelving in each room, and they used that color - you could be in the green room or the blue room, or the red room, etc.

7. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Feb 4, 2008

Room Names

We have names for all of our rooms, we use fish names, so we have a guppy class, a turtle class, a dolphin class, etc...it is really cute, easy to use as guides for new families, tours, etc...it also warms up the environment versus saying..this is our 2A room. The kids also get very excited, especially new ones starting with us, to get to be a shark or an angelfish, etc...

8. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Feb 4, 2008

Our rooms are Baby Ducks (6 weeks to about 6 months or so), Baby Ducks 2 (6 months to about 18 months), Yellow Ducks (18-30 Months), Purple Dinos (30-36 months), Blue Birds (36 - 48 months), Orange Bears (48 months- Kindergarten). We also have a Universal Pre-K which several of our orange bears attend, and then we have a before and after school program. The shapes/colors of the animals are all around the building. Our rooms are also painted depending on what color animal we are. Ex. I'm in the purple dino room, our room is light purple.

9. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Feb 6, 2008

There is a center near here that uses floral names...Daisy Room, Rose Room, Lily Room, etc.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Feb 6, 2008

names are necessary and help keep us sane. it is good for the kids when they see friends and family move up from Blue to Red room. they know the Blue room is the 2 yr old class. It is also easier than naming it after a teacher...as we know about turnover trauma. Animals names are cute too. room names help keep the paperwork straight! parents have trouble remembering teachers names, but they can remember colors and animals.

11. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Feb 6, 2008

I was thinking about different flower names while getting ready for bed tonight when a different set of names popped in my head. Now keep in mind, these are not real room names I have seen or heard anywhere...just an example of the random, weird wanderings of my mind.

Rumpus, Bumpus and Kinderwumpus.

Rumpus for the youngest group since they spend/spent a lot of time on their rump. Bumpus for the next age who bump and jump throughout their learning day and for the kids who'll be entering Kindergarten...yep, you guessed it...Kinderwumpus.

I think I'm in need of that summer break now....:party:

12. jlj

jlj Devotee

Feb 7, 2008

Some cute ideas here. MimiBee how creative you must be! Cute names!
    Our youngest is PK3. I was thinking caterpillars for them, butterflies for PK4 but then what about Kindergarten? OR
    maybe PK3-buds, PK4-blossoms, K-flowers.
    Well, not too creative....anymore ideas out there?

13. TwinkLStar

TwinkLStar Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

We have the Infant Room (aka the Bouncers & Crawlers); the Toddler Room; The Movers (2yo); The Climbers (2 1/2-3yo); The Builders (3yo); and the Pioneers (4/5 yo)!

14. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Feb 8, 2008

What about caterpillars, cocoons and butterflies? Nah....hmm...

Wigglers, Jigglers and Gigglers? LOL...Nooooooo