Do you have computers in your room?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissJill, Aug 10, 2009.

1. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

I'm so envious of people posting pictures with computers in their classroom! LOL

In the district that I'm working in we have 1 computer in the classroom that was for the teacher. (I had another computer in the room that was running on Windows 95 and sounded like a helicopter taking off). We have computers in the library, but you had to sign up to use them and it was so hard to get any time.

Oh and I'm soooo jealous of everyone with smart board!

/end of jealousy

3. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I have 4 computers in my classroom. I generally use one and leave three for student use. If we are doing an activity that requires all students to use the computers, I'll put students in groups of 4 and let them use my computer, rotating them through computer time.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2009

I wish I had a few for the students as well. I have one for the teacher. I do have a smartboard though so I can't really complain much. I'm thankful for that.

5. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I have a total of 13 computers in my classroom. 5 have been provided by the school and the other 8 I received a grant. I would highly recommend writing a grant for anything you want in your classroom. I got my LCD projector is from a grant also.:D

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

I have a teacher computer for only me and a computer for my students. We have a projector so I can project stuff off my computer on a screen. We do have 2 nice computer labs we go to at least twice a week.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

One laptop for the teacher, and I have one computer for kids. I'm not even sure if it works, it wasn't working too well at the end of the school year. I had another one but the hard drive crashed. I don't know if I'll get it back.

We also have a laptop cart to share with our building. The laptops are kind of old and again, don't always work. But it's something...

I helped my mentor teacher get a smartboard student teaching and I so wish I had one.

8. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

I have one in my room, for me to use for email, grading, attendance, etc.

But, thanks to DonorsChoose, that will be changing. I will have two computers in the back of my room for student use, at some point early in the school year (whenever they manage to ship).

9. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I have 1 teacher laptop that I have to allow the students to use for part of their reading intervention. The desktop I have in the room (on a good day) doesn't turn on - OR - (on a bad day) freezes with the first screen of a program and is so old it doesn't run much of anything anyway. There is a laptop cart, but it is for the "big kids" primarily and even those teachers have a hard time getting it for their room. I might add that I am the only one in the building who does not have a working desktop for student use.

10. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

Well I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one (I was seeing so many pictures of rooms with multiple computers *and even MACS!*) Sooo jealous (but that's so great too!)

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

I just moved from a district where I had 3 computers in my room. One for me and two for students. Plus a document camera. Now (sorry to make you all jealous) I have 4 student computers, a teacher desktop, a document camera, and a VERY nice laptop. My son says it's really cool. It called a Gateway tablet. I haven't been able to use it since they havent given my the password yet. There are two computer labs in the school. This district spent BIG bucks on technology in the last few years. One of their many selling points.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 10, 2009

We have 5 student computers in each classroom and 1 teacher computer. This year I got a grant for a projector/screen and hopefully will get a document camera this year or next.

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

One teacher computer, and that's it. Even if there was a budget for additional computers, I have absolutely no room for them. We have a computer lab and computers in the library that we have to sign up for. I would love to have a mobile laptop lab!

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

I have 5 computers, a projector, and a document camera. I also have a macbook provided to me.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

I have one teacher computer. I'm seriously thinking of giving a go at grant writing this year to see if I can get some more. Getting time at the library lab can be a challenge if I don't plan well in advance. If I have two weeks notice I can almost always get it, but if I realize on Monday I have an awesome idea that needs a computer that I want to do that week, there's no way I'd be able to.

16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

That's what I wish, that our department shared a mobile laptop lab. I definitely can't fit them in my classroom (I teach cooking classes so my classroom has 5 kitchens and then 6 tables for the students) but a laptop cart would be soooooo awesome!

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

Everyone has four in their room, four across the hall in the empty spare room, and a computer lab down the hall with about 24 working computers. Four more in the library. Two smart boards in the entire school, both received with grant money.

Everyone has a tv, dvd player, vhs player, overhead.

Three machines in the library for checkout that hook up to the computer and then display on a large screen.

That's enough, although I think I would like a Smartboard for myself. :)

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

I have 33 student computers, a teacher computer, and a projector hooked up to a DVD/VCR player. I will probably use my own laptop to hook up to the projector. I hope to either do a "make your own smartboard" or try to get a grant for a document camera, or maybe do both.

19. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I have 3 computers (older ones) in my classroom and a printer. Although they are sometimes slow, I can't complain because I have a laptop and a SmartBoard to use in my classroom. My county offers "free" laptops to teachers (after they teach for 1 year) by taking a week-long course and complete various requirements involving technology. Not a bad deal, huh? The school has 2 computer labs, one is only a year old with updated technology and the other one is older.

20. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I did the "make your own interactive board for a while before I got my Promethean Board. It really was great and it gave me some time to get used to the software before I got my board. :D

21. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Aug 10, 2009

We have 2 teacher computers, 5 student computers, all hooked up to the company network, and a smart board in every class. And since we're SPED, we rarely have more than 12 kids in any classroom. Several teachers also bring their own laptops to work on, so the students can make use of the "'teacher" computers in the classroom.

We're a bit spoiled when it comes to technology. I don't even think we use the materials that we have to their fullest potential. There is so much more that we COULD be doing with all the tools that we have, but for whatever reasons, we don't.