Do you go to work when you have laryngitis?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tracykaliski, Oct 5, 2008.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2008

I totally have lost my voice. I can't speak in anything other than a whisper. Otherwise, I feel fine.

Do I risk it and go in tomorrow or do I have my husband call in for me? If I go in, it might be a really quiet day. :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2008

I get laryngitis regular as clockwork, every spring and fall. I go in as long as I feel OK.

Those are usually the days I can count on my classes to be at their best.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2008

I agree with Alice. When I don't feel well or have lost my voice, they are so good and tend to follow directions and my hand gestures better than on a typical day!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2008

Me too...silly us...I've heard whispering is actually rougher on your vocal chords than talking...I go in...I was losing my voice last week (allergies, 'the crud' in my throat)...my kids were really good.

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Oct 5, 2008

Wow that's a tough one! Do you have aides that help in your classroom? If you have any kind of helpers, I would go. They would know your routine and you could guide them through it. Good luck and I hope you get that voice back soon! :)

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2008

Nope, I'm secondary math in a Catholic High school-- there are no aides in the building.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2008

Absolutely true. I am a singer and I know that when I had no voice, my coach told me not even to listen to music because your vocal chords vibrate when you do. Odd, but I guess it might be true.:whistle:

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2008

As long as you feel ok, they can do seatwork all day & you can save that sick day.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2008

Just for the record: I'm coming off a month's disability in a few days.I don't care if I get mono, strep throat or appendicitis, I'm NOT missing any more school.

Now, if I could just convince my kids to stay healthy....

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 5, 2008

I agree, depending on what age you work with. If it is say 1-3 year olds and you are alone, it may not work so well. 4+ will probably be very well behaved for you (depending on your class) if you tell them that you are "sick".

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2008

Alice glad to hear you are on the mend and heading back to school!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2008

Yep, right after Columbus Day.

14. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2008

Well, I work with 3-6 year olds and there are other teachers in the room as well. 24 kids, 3 teachers in the morning. The rest of the day is sort of different in terms of coverage, but I'm never alone with kids. So, off to work I go tomorrow! It'll be an interesting day.

15. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Oct 5, 2008

Boy, can I identify! As an allergy sufferer I find myself getting laryngitis at least three to six times a year.

Last year I found a great way past this. I opened a PowerPoint and used a headset mike to prerecord several of my most frequently repeated instructions. Whenever I need them I click on the little speaker and my voice instructs them on what to do. It works great.

If I feel as though I am losing my voice early in the day I will record specific instructions at the start of the day. That way I can rest my voice for most of the rest of the day, yet still call down malefactors with phrases like:

"Spit out your gum! All of it."

"Please go back to your seat!"

"Class-class!" (they respond yes-yes)

"Work on the study guide for section 1, questions 1-7. You may work with a partner. You have ten minutes. I will take this up at the end."

Work great!

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 5, 2008

I do go and my kids are SO well behaved when I can't talk. Weird, because you'd think they would take advantage of it!

17. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Oct 6, 2008

I've just spent the last 7 days with laryngitis. My voice starts out better in the morning, but by day's end, I'm exhausted trying to get any sound to come out! I felt alright and tried to drink lots of liquids. My kids were great. My "give me 5" signal works like a charm!

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 6, 2008

Laryngitis is the best thing in the world to have as a sickness. Kids are usually great. In the past, my kids would whisper all day with me, it's great. Take advantage of it!

19. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 6, 2008

No, I do not go in. Why? You never know if an emergency will arise and you must have a voice. Example - Fire, Lockdown You are accountable for your students and in a situation such as this you cannot have a child in charge.

20. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2008

I totally understand that janlee, but I'm never alone with kids. There are always 2 of us with children since we have 3-6 yr olds and we have 24 kids.

I did end up going in today and my boss told me to go home. I was exhausted by 11:00 and came home and slept. I'm going to try to go in tomorrow as well and try not to talk again and drink lots of hot tea. :) We'll see how it goes.

21. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 6, 2008

My kids are really good for me too when I've gotten sick this year (severe allergies). I did have to warn them one time though "I feel a sub coming on." That silenced the room instantly. Ahhhh, peace at last.