Do you give your students Christmas gifts?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Nov 23, 2010.

1. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 24, 2010

I always give a book or two (yes from Scholastic... the usually have them $1 or sometimes even send me free ones). I usually give a candy cane or something sweet too and a home made card - that's it! :)

2. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 24, 2010

I teach high school, so things are a little different for me. But, I give all of my kids Christmas pencils and make a Christmas treat for them. I do chocolate dipped pretzels or something like that. I also have about 65 kids, so I have to go cheap to cover everyone.

3. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Nov 24, 2010

I usually give them a book (this year I got some free ones, so it'll be two), sometimes a pencil, sometimes a simple bookmark I make with their name on it.

4. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Nov 24, 2010

Every year I order personalized pencils with my students' names imprinted on them for Christmas. I found them on forteachersonly.com. They LOVE them and it eliminates pencil problems for a while :O)

Someone asked about board games..... my 4th graders LOVE Don't Break the Ice, it is the number one they want to play. I have tons of decks of cards and I always teach the kids how to play Spoons, another big-time favorite. They also enjoy Boggle, Yahtzee, and puzzles.

5. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Nov 25, 2010

Just bought some pencil sharpeners, bookmarks and pencil grips online at Oriental Trading. They are going to be pretty happy. I usually just go w/ a book/pencil, but I have a soft spot for my class this year. I had over half of them last year as I moved up w/ them. :)

6. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Nov 25, 2010

Help

We're lucky in that our local Rotary club gives us new books every year to distribute to our students. I just add a personalized card. It saves me the time and money involved in shopping.

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 25, 2010

Totally off topic, but isn't Spoons a drinking game? It's been many years, but I feel like maybe I played it in my college years! I'm not sure I would teach my kids that game (even without the drinking, lol).

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 25, 2010

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2010

Any game can be made into a drinking game.
    I played spoons as a child and LOVED it!

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2010

We always have a half day on Dec 24th...crazy I know!
    That morning we have hot cocoa, read & watch Polar Express, and make necklaces with a jingle bell.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 26, 2010

Oh, we'll be adding Polar Express to our "celebration"--we're doing an author study of Chris van Allsburg in December, so it fits in perfectly!

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 26, 2010

The board games that you listed; how many students usually play each game? Well, Checkers would be two, but some of the other ones, are they usually two players or more?

Thanks for all of the ideas.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 26, 2010

Our school has a Polar Express Day the last day of school. We'll read the story that week as our reading story, and that last day we all wear pajamas and the specials teachers, along with our principal and vice-principal keep the kids in the gym for about half an hour that morning to let us get everything set up in our room for our celebrations. I start the hot chocolate in the crock pot early that morning so that when we get back to the room it's hot and creamy. We have hot chocolate and gingerbread men (thanks to Little Debbie! lol) and watch the movie. I invite the students to bring their favorite Christmas treats divided so that they can be wrapped and brought home if need be.

14. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Nov 26, 2010

guess who is a 2 player game
    connect 4 is a two player game
    Battleship is a two player game
    I want to say that apples to apples Jr. is a 4+ player game but I don't know for sure.
    I think trouble is a 4 player game

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 26, 2010

I do stockings with my students. The week before Christmas break I hang up 1 miniature stocking for each of my students. I write their names on them with glitter glue. I buy the stockings at Wal-mart and they are 75 cents for 2. Then each day for 1 week I add 1 item to the stockings. I do things as simple as a Hershey Kiss. At our Christmas party we open our stockings together. It's a lot of fun! Now, I've taught primary until this year, we'll see how it goes over in 6th grade!

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 27, 2010

Blokus is a great classroom game too. My kids love that game.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 27, 2010

Ohhhhhh....I just discovered you can play Blokus online...I may never sleep again...!

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 29, 2010

Continuing my theme of minimalist Christmas . . . I have finally settled on giving kids an ornament for a gift. One year I found beautiful silver plated snowflakes at Safeway, and it ended up costing about one dollar for each child.

I write the year and Love, Mrs. ____ on the back of the ornament. I also write a personal note in a card telling the student something special I appreciate about him. I wrap the ornament in tissue paper and put it in a paper sack with colorful ribbon.

My students are so saturated with gifts there is nothing I could give them that would stand out really. So rather than contribute to the "gimme gimme" I keep the gift very simple.

19. TeachSpeak

TeachSpeak Rookie

Nov 29, 2010

I think I'm going to steal the coupon book AND the hot chocolate/peppermint stirrers....can't wait! Thanks for these, folks! :cool:

20. CreativeMind

CreativeMind Rookie

Dec 4, 2010

I print out a free homework pass and wrap it around a candy cane tied with a ribbon. Cheap, Easy, and students love it!