Do you give your students Christmas gifts?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Nov 23, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2010

I was at Walmart yesterday and they had all of these little stocking stuffer towys. Some were cute, I was tempted. This is my first year with my own students (20 something students in 5th) I am not sure what I want to do for my students this year, but buying some cheap pencil or eraser for them doesn't seem to be the answer. But what???

:dizzy: :help: :whistle: :dizzy: :help: :whistle: :dizzy:

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 23, 2010

I teach preschool... in the past, I have generally given a book or two... if you use Scholastic, you can usually get books for $1 or $1.50, which makes them pretty do-able. One year when I hadn't ordered from them in time, I made playdough for my kids... I did several different colors and split it up, so each kid got a ball of 2 different colors... I gave them a small cookie cutter to go with it along with a pencil and a candy cane.

I'm not sure what I'd do with 5th graders, though :)

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Nov 23, 2010

I know its not exciting, but I give my students a Skip a Night pass for Christmas. They love them.

5. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 23, 2010

I use the cheaper books on Scholastic as gifts, candy cane, some years some McD's coupons...(I teach K)

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 23, 2010

As a parent, I strongly dislike cutesy little gifts that will end up in the back seat of my car, on the floor of the living room, or in my washing machine within a couple days. I say give them something school related and useful, such as a free night of HW, or maybe bonus points on a quiz, or eat lunch with the teacher.

Last year I gave my kids a coupon book with various things in it, like lunch in the room with 3 friends, bring a CD to listen to during work time (prescreened by me of course), a free night of HW, 5 bonus points in any subject, you and 3 friends stay in from recess (they have to go outside, so staying in to play games is a big one), and choose your seat for an afternoon (my chair is an option-VERY popular).

Cheap---no, free---and easy. And they were thrilled. Many teachers give books, but I find that a lot of kids don't appreciate them very much, so I stopped doing that.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2010

Sometime during the last week before Christmas break, my class will get their gift from me--we'll spend an afternoon drinking hot chocolate (complete with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and candy cane stir sticks), decorating (and eating) gingerbread cookies and reading "The Grinch".

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2010

I teach a total of 8 classes of 40, in addition to a homeroom of 34. Last week I picked up another math class for a colleague who is recovering from surgery.

Nope, no gifts from Mrs. A.

I am giving a little something to the 17 5th graders in my Religious Education class.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 23, 2010

I give mine 2 pencils, an eraser, a new box of crayons, and a Scholastic book certificate so they can order out of the next book order.

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 23, 2010

In the past, I have purchased board games for my class to use during the indoor recesses we will have. This was very popular,and they took such good care of them.
    I love the coupon book idea, kcjo! Mind if I steal it?

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2010

Love the coupon book, kc!

I bought crayons when they were on sale--many of my kids are due for a new box. I don't know what else I'll do.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 23, 2010

I buy them each a copy of The Gingerbread Man, which I can always find cheap in a Scholastic Book Order (it's a $1 book this year!). Then, we decorate gingerbread man cookies. They LOVE it. I think any grade would enjoy decorating the cookies. We read a lot of gingerbread man books in December, so it's a fun thing to do the day before break begins.

When I student taught in 3rd grade, the teacher would buy a class gift. She bought them 2 indoor recess games that they were really excited about. I liked that idea a lot.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 23, 2010

I use my scholastic points and buy them each a book. This year I also got them popapoint pencils (I am SICK of sharpening pencils!) and large erasers. They'll also get a candy cane and a few pieces of candy.

14. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Nov 23, 2010

I usually make a small goodie bag with an ink pen, pack of gum, candy cane, and ornament. I buy the ornaments at Target the day after Christmas for the following year. The past few years I bought some very glittery snowflake ornaments.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 23, 2010

I made crayon rolls for all of my students this year. I filled them with 8 new crayons. That is going to be it for me.

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2010

What board games do they like to have in the classroom? I have been wanting to buy some but not sure what that age goes for...

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 24, 2010

Steal away at the coupon book! I'd even email you my coupons if you PM me your email address.

I like the hot chocolate/gingerbread cookies (although I'd do sugar because I'm not a fan of gingerbread). That would also be cheap and easy...hot chocolate was on sale at the store for a dollar a box of 12...

18. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 24, 2010

There is always snowman, reindeer, penguin, etc. poop. It's cute with the little poem and inexpensive!

19. greengables

greengables Rookie

Nov 24, 2010

I buy plain ornaments and write their name and the year to give them along with a small box of crayons.

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 24, 2010

Well, I teach 5th grade, and these were the top winners for me:
    Battleship
    Connect Four
    Uno (card game)
    Guess Who
    Apples to Apples
    Trouble
    Checkers
    Outburst Jr.

I found a cheap! air hockey game I bought for my son for Christmas one year. He outgrew it-and I took it to school. My 5th graders STILL line up to have air hockey competitions!
    I try to stay away from games that are too involved-Monopoly, Life, etc. With only a half hour, they take too long.
    Good luck!

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 24, 2010

Jenga is another popular game. I bought a Mancala game and my kids love it. They also love playing with my Knex. I bought a simple Lego set for the room, because I used Legos as an example of something and got nothing but a blank stare. Finally one kid raised their hand and said "What???" That led to a blanket of "What's that? I've never heard of them." Crazy!