Do you get to sort the kids for next year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by applecore, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Apr 20, 2013

We do it by grade level. We make a card for each student with factors like gender, ability, sped, gifted, behavior, and pesky parents. Each class new class is as balanced as possible. It takes hours, but it's worth it. When the P makes a change due to parental intervention, it causes huge problems.

2. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 20, 2013

I wish we had a spot for "pesky parents". That would be a nice forewarning.

One thing this year that is a big change, and from what I've been hearing, there will be no teacher requests by parents for next unless there is an extreme reason why; and not liking the teacher is not on one of those lists.

It's going to be interesting.

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 20, 2013

Our kids are grouped entirely based on NWEA MAP scores. :woot: :rolleyes:

It has been a cluster****.

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 20, 2013

EEEK!

That would be a most challenge!

But now that I think if, we're grouping ours by RTI scores....not the same, I'm sure. Just frustrating because test scores don't tell you that Johnny needs a break from Mikey, or that Susie and Sally should NEVER be together for the sake of all teachers from this point forward! (That's our problem right now with a gigantic bubble of drama this year!)

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Apr 20, 2013

I'm so sorry for your students and staff! There's so much evidence suggesting this practice is harmful to students, not to mention it removes most positive models from your lower ability classes.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 20, 2013

Agreed!

Some teachers love it though so it's probably not going away. Less differentiation. Teachers can teach to basically one RIT band, etc.

:dunno:

7. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 20, 2013

You bet we do!
    Any student that winds up on the "America's Most Wanted" list winds up in my class. :lol:

Seriously though, our district constantly tells us that any method that could be viewed is "tracking" is forbidden. They emphasize heterogeneous grouping; so that the lousy students can drag down the good students, I suppose.
    :p

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2013

We don't really get to sort the kids. They will be off to middle school, so a lot of what classes they get placed into depends on what allied arts they sign up for, as well as if they are in high ability classes or special ed. We do rate each student based on behavior and academics. They use that data to try to split the students up evenly. We also have 550 kids per grade level, so it would be pretty impossible for us to all sit together and get it done.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 22, 2013

It is quite the process at my school. Students are very strategically placed, not only based on high, low, other students in the class, etc., but also by teacher personality. So if a kid needs a more structured teacher, they go into teacher A's room, need someone who is extra loving? Teacher B is for you!

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2013

This thread inspired me to send a message to my team that I want to do things differently this year. I suggested that everyone send me a class list on an excel file with their students scored 1-5 in behavior and academics.

I use that information to make five equal classes based on the numbers.

Then, when we meet, we can fine-tune the lists based on any specific situations - so and so would be better with a certain teacher, or the teacher with the tiny room gets more of the "sweet and low's" instead of behavior problems.

Hopefully, our team leader will go along. Sometimes she's overtaken by a "we've always done it this way" bug.

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 22, 2013

I seriously snorted outloud!

These little friends always end up either in my class or my coworker's class because we're the "structured" teachers that "don't let kids get away with things". Which always made me want to scratch my head in wonder if all the other teachers are like Mary Poppins instead of like us Atilla the Huns?

I'm REALLY looking forward to leveled academics and behaviors next year!

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 22, 2013

You had me at 550 kids.....:eek:

13. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 22, 2013

The phrase, "What worked before, doesn't always work now" comes to mind; mainly because I've boldly said it in my own team meetings before as a newbie. I really hope she rolls with "outside the box" this time. It sounds like you're organized and ready to go.

We have a similar form to fill out, but being on an excell sheet sounds like a perfect idea! Thanks for sharing that piece. We do this for leveling RTI.

14. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Apr 22, 2013

our class lists are always a hot mess, too. this year the rumor is that the P will be making them :) cheers!

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2013

We used to have a say years ago, but not anymore. The P, counselor, and dean of students make the lists now.

16. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 23, 2013

I'd love for someone else to make the lists.

We're doing it this week. Two grades have already done theirs this week...and it's taken 2 hours!

Ugh.

My team's ready and we're starting to take bets to see who can get in and out the shortest amount of time between grade levels.

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2013

Our classes all loop together. So regardless of what grade I'm teaching next year all of my students will go together to the same 4th grade class. They only move kids if there's a significant issue with another child or if the child needs a different setting (for ESL or SPED)

18. mkate

mkate Comrade

Apr 24, 2013

Usually here kids are grouped for longer periods of time-- in some cases (like in my last school) they started with their group at 3 years old (pre-primary stage) and continued with the same group through 6th. Clearly that can be a disaster. The school I'm at this year keeps the same groupings from 3-years-old to the end of second grade, then mixes it up and the kids stay with their next group through 6th.