Do you get paid for open house?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Sep 13, 2012.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 13, 2012

Me too.

I've never even worried about the fact that it is after school. It's just part of the job.

If I was expected to attend after hour events once or more a week, then I would balk but I only have to do three or four evening events a year.

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2012

Many people here have said that late hours are considered part of their extra duties. Does anyone's contract expressly limit the number of hours/days that a teacher can be required to stay late without additional compensation?

I'm so surprised reading all these responses here, honestly. It seems to me like there's a huge potential for administrators to abuse teachers. What's the point of having daily contract hours (e.g., 8 AM to 3 PM) if the principal can just decide that you have to work late whenever he wants you to? I don't think it's fair to say that working late is "just part of the job". My job requires me to be at school from 7 AM until 2:11 PM. I didn't agree to come in at 3 AM or work until 9 PM when I accepted the offer to work here.

3. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 13, 2012

We have comp days for working open house and conference nights. One day of comp is the day before Thanksgiving and the other day is attached to spring break.

Of course, most of us put in more time than required since conferences always start early and run late. You can't hold 28-30 conferences in 24 time slots!

Open House is the held the night of our first work day which is filled with meetings which leaves us with no time to work in our rooms. so, most of us spend time prior to that day in order to prep our rooms. We would probably spend the extra time anyway, but it seems kind of crappy for our admin to do this to us. They know we want our rooms to look nice. Why would they put us in the position of feeling pressured/forced into doing it? I don't know if pressured or forced is the word I am looking for but hopefully someone knows what I mean. I am tired and need to go to bed.:)

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

We have after school open houses. Unpaid.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

I absolutely agree. To answer your question, there is nothing at all about these things in my contract. It's just expected.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2012

Our administrators have never abused this part of our contract. The only thing that I have a problem with is that we (the teachers) are now required to work one football game and one volleyball gate per season as part of that 'extra assigned duties'. These jobs used to be done by aides who of course got paid for their hours. When the budget crunch hit, having teachers do it was the district's way to save money. But it's only one football game and one volleyball game and I know it could be a lot worse.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

We don't really have contracts in NC. I tried to scan it once, but I couldn't get it to post. If fits on one page.
    Our hours are to be set by our P. They can change at any time, and we can be held at anytime. Last week, I was required to call my new boss at my new PT job (it was my first week), and tell her I could not work my scheduled shift on Saturday. My P was requiring me to attend a workshop. On a Saturday. With 5 days notice.
    (To make it worse- I could have taught it and more effectively, too!)

I WISH I was making this up.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

I have a major problem with this. Mainly because it was thrown on you all to save money, obviously. So it's not just part of the school culture where they want teachers to bond with students and all that.

9. smalltowngal

Sep 13, 2012

Exactly! and like I said, I don't mind doing it especially since it's only one time....but our aides are not paid well as it is, and this was extra money they could make and that was taken away from them. And it's not like it cost an arm and a leg to pay them for a few hours of work.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

stg- volleyball? Is it really big in your area? I'm confused! I get football. I could understand basketball, baseball, soccer, track. But volleyball? *scratches head*

And while it is stupid that you are required to do it, at least you would have notice :tired:

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 13, 2012

Orientation is late afternoon/early evening, no extra pay. We are also expected to be at the Black History Program, Spring Concert & Trip Around the World. As a Kindergarten teacher we also do a promotion ceremony at night.

So, it's only 4 or 5 nights. Our programs usually start at 6p.m. & we are done by 7 p.m.

We are also encouraged to go to 1 or maybe it's 2 PTO meetings per year. Last year, if you went to PTO you could wear jeans that Friday.

Conferences are from 12-6, we are not expected to be at work until 11 a.m.

12. smalltowngal

Sep 13, 2012

Yep, volleyball games. And we do get to choose which games we work so no dates are forced on us.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

Looking at my schedule, by the end of September, I will have been required to work:
    - Open House (Meet the Teacher) until 7:30 PM (all teachers)
    - Saturday workshop 8-1 (myself and 1 other teacher)
    - Saturday workshop 10-3 (just me)
    - Saturday workshop 7:30-12:30 (just me again)
    - District grade level meeting until 5 PM (all teachers)
    - Leadership Meeting until 5 PM (myself, my P, and 2 other teachers)
    - Open House (Back-to-School- show off artifacts plus book fair) until 6:30PM (all teachers)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2012

I sign an annual contract.

Included in that are Parent Orientation nights-- this year I have to be at 3 of our 4. I just got home at about 10:30 from tonight's. Also included are 4 Parent Teacher Student meeting nights. And 3 or 4 Saturday Open Houses and I forget just what else.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 13, 2012

I've never heard of getting paid for open house. However, we do get "comp time" for parent teacher conferences, which is a total of 2 extra days work per year (8 hours in the fall and 8 hours in the spring at night for conferences). We get monday and tuesday of thanksgiving week off as our "comp time" for conferences so it's really nice. My last district technically gave us the comp time, but it was pretty fishy. They said that the Wed. before thanksgiving was one of our comp days. We all found it hard to believe that we would have had school that wed. anyway...they were pretty much double dipping with thanksgiving break and the comp day.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2012

Mine have always been in the evening, and I've never been paid for it. I'm not sure if it's in my contract or not. It's expected for us to be there, so I go. It's also good to meet the parents of all my students and try to start off the year with a good relationship.

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 13, 2012

Interesting. Thanks!

We will decide as a staff. The overwhelming response so far has been negative, but people might also be afraid to speak up.

Frankly I think we should just go in for the sake of our families. It's not the hill I want to die on. I'll fight the good fight if I have to though!

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 14, 2012

No, part of the job

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2012

Your contract should specifically address this. Mine specifically discusses open house, dept and faculty meetings, and parent conferences as well as the hours of the work day. It doesn't matter if you are salaried - that doesn't mean they can just make you work whenever they want.

If you aren't sure, talk to your building rep or local president or however that works for you guys.

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 14, 2012

Our back to school night is mandatory, and falls under "other duties as assigned" in our contracts. I love it, and don't mind. Usually the PTA or someone feeds us, and it's nice to meet all the parents. We have a few other events that are mandatory, but I can't think of them now. I pretty much go to whatever.