Do you expect paras to call you by your last name?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, Dec 11, 2012.

1. kellyr

kellyr Rookie

Dec 12, 2012

Ew. I would be annoyed with the coworker.

2. rdxdude007

rdxdude007 New Member

Dec 12, 2012

Yes, She's been there for a million years. I had to beg and bribe to get her to help me 32 minutes a week...

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Dec 12, 2012

The TAs (that's what we call them at my school) call me either by my first name or Mrs.(last initial). I have no problem with either.

4. nklauste

nklauste Companion

Dec 12, 2012

Around kids the paras refer to the teacher by last name and vice versa; in the lounge and when kids are not around it is first name. Just because they are not hired as a teacher does not mean they are any less important in the school. I have a class with 18 of the most challenging students in the grade levels and my class would not be able to run as smooth as it does if the para wasn't there to help supervise and keep everyone on task.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Dec 12, 2012

It doesn't matter to me. The adults I work with are welcome to address me either way. I don't even mind when they use my first name is used in front of the students. It's nt like they don't know I have a first name. It is printed on their schedules and report cards.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2012

When I subbed I did so in classrooms where my cousins were. So I would go in and tell the students that so and so is my cousin, so if they call me my first name, then I would tell them my first name...the look of shock on some of their faces was priceless, but so and so is going to try hard to call me Mrs so and so...LOL!!!