Do you ever have a year when admin picks on you?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mami1Maestra2, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Nov 13, 2018

I know that may sound a little strange, but this seems to be my year. I am often in "trouble" and having to defend myself so much this year. I didn't have any problems last year or the year before, but there's just something about this year. I know that it's not just me, and that other teachers are feeling the same. We just can't figure out what has set them off.

Has anyone experienced this, and how did you cope with it?

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 13, 2018

In similar situations in the past, I've made sure to get everything in writing via email. That way, if admin changes their mind about how things should be done, you can reply to the previous email for clarification.

That stinks. It makes for a very negative work environment when people are feeling constantly attacked. o_O

wldywall likes this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Nov 14, 2018

This year at my school is starting to feel this way. My school is bottom 3 in the district and our new superintendent is on the principals really hard for change. It’s putting a lot of pressure on the Ps of those schools and subsequently on us as teachers. It could be that someone is getting on your P’s case about something at the school and it’s carrying over to you.

I agree with @otterpop though, that makes for a very negative work environment. :/

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Nov 14, 2018

Yes, it happened to me for about a month. It had to do with a particular student in my class. Once he was placed in another class I miraculously had no more issues! I think the principal finally realized that the student didn't belong in my class and was creating a lot of problems so after that was resolved she couldn't find anything to complain about.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Nov 14, 2018

Yes, it's very uncomfortable working in that kind of environment. Imagine driving for 100s of miles with a police car behind you the whole way. You're constantly looking in the mirror to make sure you're not in trouble LOL

Backroads likes this.
  7. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Nov 14, 2018

It's very frustrating. I have been keeping notes on it. I even found out that there's a name for it- harassing supervision.

Our school is at the bottom of our cluster, but oddly enough, the same principal has been over the school, so no changes in leadership.

Then again, also found out that the principals are paid more in our district for how big their school is. Funny how teachers are not paid extra per pupil...

ms.irene likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2018

No harassment or being "picked on", but our P definitely has her favourites who get more opportunities. Those who are interested in moving beyond the classroom into consultant or administrative positions are certainly favoured over those of us who are happy to be classroom teachers for the entirety of their careers.