Do you ever feel obligated to participate or give money? I hate it

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mr.Literature, May 30, 2018.

?

Do you feel like you have to give way too much money through the year to different events?

1. Yes!

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 31, 2018

You're right, money from the PTA is rather atypical. However, I did work at one school in which the principal was given a "donation" every year from the parent booster club (maybe it wasn't actually the PTA) which could be used at his discretion - I think it may have been around $200. As you probably know, public institutions (from federal to local levels) are notorious for establishing budgets with questionable line items - obtuse, vague wording is a dead giveaway. Unbeknownst to many people who work in schools, is that many principals have discretionary funds available (not always part of the school budget) to use however they wish.

Many years ago when I was studying to become a school administrator, I expressed my observation to the professor that their was no straightforward process for developing school budgets. I was flatly told that if I expected to learn an understandable, common sense approach to school finance, I should probably consider a different profession.

I can only speculate on the reasons some administrators so willingly pay for food provided to teachers with their own money: a) hefty salaries, b) school culture/tradition (don't rock the boat), c) belief that doing so will earn loyalty and cooperation from teachers, d) erroneously think they can write off the entire amount on their taxes, e) hefty salaries, f) love their staff What are your thoughts?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

May 31, 2018

I don't think my P has a hefty salary. They make marginally more than teachers in Canada and work far more hours. I think they do it for the same reason that teachers buy stuff for their classroom - because they care/ want to be a positive influence. I think that Ps should have a budget line for food for staff events.

3. Curriculum Chef

Curriculum Chef Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

I like the "social fund" idea. I've worked at schools that have that. $25 or $30 once a year, and you're all set!

Personally, I don't like gift-giving in a work environment, especially for baby showers, wedding-related stuff, or retirement. Buy your own freakin' stuff! :)

If there is a social fund, I give to that, but I won't give individually unless you are my friend. The key, however, is that I don't expect gifts in return.

When I got married, no one in my whole school knew. None of their business. :) Because with that comes a whole slew of social norms that I'm not comfortable with and don't agree with. And once someone does it for you, they'll expect reciprocity.

Now, if someone passes away or has a miscarriage, that's a different sorry. I absolutely have no problem with that. Those are unexpected, tragic events that I like to contribute to in order to help the receiver heal.

Other stuff, I'll pass. Maybe one day I'll change my mind. :)

bella84 likes this.
  4. Curriculum Chef

Curriculum Chef Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

Oh, and I don't feel bad about it! Unless the person wants to replenish my bank account, they can have several seats! :)

5. whizkid

whizkid Comrade

Jun 1, 2018

Oh yes. We have a fund that gives to employees when a loved one passes away or they face a hardship, $30 a year.

On top of that, there are constant fundraisers by adults and student alike. And they always come around just before or right after payday!

6. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 2, 2018

I guess it depends on what you would consider to be a "hefty" salary. For me, a 6-figure salary is quite hefty. This is what I found after conducting a cursory check online - admin. salaries in Toronto. Although teacher salaries vary throughout Canada, in some provinces teachers seem to be quite well-paid, according to this article.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 2, 2018

My school has a social committee and everyone is asked to contribute $40. per year. We also collect extra for big events such as retirements, weddings, and first babies.

Our principal has a budget and can spend it how she wishes. Very occasionally she will purchase food for the staff.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 3, 2018

I can’t speak for all site administrators, but this is how I feel! Thank you for understanding!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 3, 2018

Yes, and no. I constantly have student asking me to buy things for fundraisers. I always buy from the first who asks.

We have a social fund, which gives flowers for a death in the family, birth, etc. It is mostly funded from the money from the vending machines in the lounge. When it gets low, we may all be asked to throw in $5-10.

We have a big event on campus each year, hosted by one of our service organizations, that gives money to a member of our school/community that is experiencing a hardship. We are expected to support that event with our time and/or money.

Other that that, we are lucky. Our service organizations provide: cookies in the lounge once a week, random breakfasts throughout the year. Our PTSA provides: a birthday meal each semester, breakfast on professional development days, teacher appreciation week, etc. Our holiday party is hosted at a retiree's house and is potluck, and our end of year celebration is catered and you are only expected to pay if you go. We all know how lucky we are to work at a school that is so well funded and supported by our organizations, so we usually don't mind giving when students ask.

In the past, however, we were expected to make an annual donation to a local charity. With new administration, the expectation was much reduced. Our new P realized that no one really wanted to give, and we felt pressured by admin so that they could go to a luncheon and get a trophy based on percentage of faculty and staff who gave. Now, instead of assigning a deputy on each floor to compel and nag about donations, it's one person's job. He distributes the forms, and we choose if we want to give, and if so how much. There's no nagging or constant reminders. We are all much happier that way!

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jun 3, 2018

Some admin do have bloated salaries, but some teacher salaries — and quite a few in California — quickly match those of P’s and VP’s. For example, I will make $60,000 next year just from my teaching salary and max out at $100,000 in year 13. Plus, with tutoring I will make a little over $90k next year and at least $130k in year 13, which is on par with a lot of VP salaries and most P’s.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2018

That was too bad. Sorry for your loss...I have been there...It is good to know you are healthy now. When things like that happen, you almost want to stay home and give yourself time to heal. (And make everyone else deal with your class!!!)

And when Suzy Snowflake comes around with the dreaded envelope tell her: “I don’t have any $. I’m still recovering from my parents’ funeral expenses and my hospital bills. Then turn around. You don’t have to be rude, but be clear. You deserve support and care just as much as everyone else.

12. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 3, 2018

As is the case with some respondents, I believe you're the rare exception to the rule, even for those teaching at the high school level. Most elementary and middle school salary schedules in California don't reach six figures. If I recall correctly, you teach at an exclusive private school which can afford to pay high salaries - your personal situation may therefore not be applicable to those who work in the public school system. Consider yourself to be one of the fortunate few.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    bella84 likes this.