Do teachers have a part time job

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Apr 7, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Apr 7, 2017

Hi you all,
    I am really considering doing something part time over the weekends for extra cash and to keep me busy. I find myself being super bored over the weekends so I wanted to work part time hours at a restaurant or anywhere that is hiring

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2017

I know lots of teachers with second jobs. Your idea sounds great. Do you have experience working at a restaurant?

4. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Apr 7, 2017

If you feel up to it, go for it. I know a few teachers who work other part time jobs. Some tutor, several work retail jobs. My first year of teaching I also worked part time (appx. 12 hours a week, which was really just one long day) at the restaurant where I had been a waitress all through college. The extra cash was great, but by December I was exhausted. For me, the six full days of work (one which was very physically exhausting, the other more mentally) was too much. I stopped waiting tables and I felt much better afterwards. I'm very much a homebody who values her downtime a lot, though, so I'm sure other people could have handled my schedule with no problems.

5. TeacherCuriousExplore

Apr 7, 2017

I have no experience, but this Mexican restaurant up the road from my apartment is hiring and will allow me to work whatever hours I choose as long as it's during the hours they are open

6. TeacherCuriousExplore

Apr 7, 2017

I really want to tutor, but their is not any jobs available for tutoring at the moment.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2017

I tutor 8 hours a week off the books at $70 per hour.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Backroads likes this.
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2017

Your grammar doesn't instill great confidence in your employability as a tutor.

9. TeacherCuriousExplore

Apr 8, 2017

Maybe I am not seeking to tutor in English grammar.
    Yes, I understand the difference between there and their. Maybe I was typing fast over the phone and multi tasking when I typed that reply. The reply does need a few grammar tweaks, but this a forum and not a college essay or homework assignments.

10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Apr 8, 2017

Was that necessary?

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 8, 2017

Czacza's comment mirrored almost exactly what I was thinking. I don't know what certifications OP has, nor do I know a great deal about tutoring opportunities if her certifications are strictly ECE - not in my field, and I wouldn't be qualified to share an opinion on that. Czacza, however, is qualified at that age group, so a valid observation perhaps? If I was hoping to make really good money per hour as a tutor versus minimum wage in the food service industry, it is never wrong to know what others are taking away from a communication. Just a thought about presentation and the fact that others take away impressions with almost any and all contact. I am certain that the comment was simply an honest impression, therefore valid.

czacza likes this.
  12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 8, 2017

No it wasn't.
    A 2 minute check of their recent posts contains errors of their own.

13. TeacherCuriousExplore

Apr 8, 2017

ok, so now the thread is becoming a bashing thread of minor grammatical errors instead of what I originally came here for.

Update

I decided to look into part time hours at a call center. I spoken with the hiring manager over the phone yesterday and she told me I can choose 2 days out of the week that I will be able to work part time. That sounds like a plan to me

14. TeacherCuriousExplore

Apr 8, 2017

Czca really seems like a thread bully. She/he always comes under my posts and type some of the most disheartening post as if his/her life doesn't have problems. People with an attitude like him/her on the internet is a clam in real life.
    How can you teach, but practice immature acts on a teacher thread?.

15. TeacherCuriousExplore

Apr 8, 2017

There are other subjects to tutor. I put an ad out to tutor reading comprehension skills. Reading is my strongest subject.

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 9, 2017

All I know is , if I ever got a second job, it would have to be anything other than education. I can't imagine dealing with students after 7 hours with them

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2017

One of our young teachers is a bartender/server at a local restaurant; she's be working there for several years. She works Friday and Saturday nights and enjoys the change of pace from the classroom. Because she's been there a long time, she has a lot of "regulars" and earns good money.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 9, 2017

I'm sure a lot of teachers have second jobs. I never did while I was teaching and didn't want one. If I did, I'd want something totally the opposite of school: Calm and peaceful. I'd want to work at a bookstore (or library). Bookstores never get that crowded.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 9, 2017

I totally agree. She's always been on me/my posts for YEARS, but I don't let it bother me whatsoever.

20. TeacherCuriousExplore

Apr 9, 2017

Hi, I considered being a library assistant for the local university

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 9, 2017

Let's focus on the question and not on how the question might have been asked.

If you have the energy and drive to take a second job, go for it. My dad (retired high school teacher) almost always had a second job until my mother also started teaching full time after years of subbing.