Do students really do better if test is not on Monday?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by luckyal29, Mar 5, 2011.

1. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Mar 5, 2011

As I'm calculating my lessons/days, it turns out the chapter test will be on a Monday. When I see that, I'm reminded of how my teachers when I was growing up never scheduled tests on Monday since "we would forget (material) over the weekend."

Is there any truth to that? Any empirical evidence that students perform poorly on Monday tests?

My feeling is it won't make a difference and I'm going to schedule test on Monday with review the Friday before. My thinking is that ff we studied the unit for 2 weeks, they suddenly won't just forget it over weekend.

3. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Mar 5, 2011

I try to avoid Monday tests, although I did have one this year. I can't remember how it went, so it either went okay or it was so bad that I've blocked it out.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2011

I'm not sure about any real research or evidence. In my own experience, students seem to feel better about the test when it's on a day other than Monday. While they don't necessarily forget the material over the weekend, they do sometimes seem to forget that they're having a test. When they remember that there's a test, they seem to go into a mini-panic mode. I'm sure that the stress they're feeling in that moment isn't really helpful to them while they're taking a test.

I give weekly quizzes on Wednesdays and Fridays, and about three times per quarter (so, every three weeks) they get a bigger quiz/assessment on a Thursday. This schedule has been working out well for me and my students this year. I think I'll stick with it next year when I start making my plans for next year.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 6, 2011

I had a college professor that addressed this in one of his classes, which only met on Mondays and Wednesdays. We were due for a test and had really finished covering the material on Wednesday. The professor then said "I considered scheduling our test on this material for next Monday. However, during my years as a college professor, it has been my experience that - given a choice between studying or partying during a weekend - most college students will choose to party rather than study."

There was a brief silence, then one student said "Naaaaaw, really?"

The professor dramatically placed his head in his hands and said "Yeesss, they do."

It was a very funny exchange, but I agree with the professor. Most of my kids don't study at all, even when the test is the next day. They certainly aren't going to study over the weekend and, as Caesar mentioned, would be more likely to actually forget we were having a test on Monday. So I always schedule mine on Friday, when possible. When that isn't possible, then I give it on Thursday or Wednesday.

6. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Mar 6, 2011

I try to avoid Monday tests, but can't always do so. We're on a rotating block schedule (ugh, the last year of this thankfully!), and so I may only see a class on MWF, and then TTh the following week. So, if we finish the material, and the test happens to fall on a Monday... so be it. The constraints of the block schedule (which I absolutely despise) force my hand in that regard a lot of the time.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2011

I give tests when I think my class is ready, not because I've counted out my lessons...that kind of planning leaves no time for re-teaching if needed, is not responsive to student needs, and leaves little time for flexibility. I understand that there are many districts that have such required pacing, I'm just thankful to not have to teach that way.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 6, 2011

People also do better when they are in their routine. Weekends break the routine of school (as does breaks, holidays, snow days, etc). Their sleep schedule, eating schedule, change. By giving the extra day it puts them back into the routine.

I find the first day after the weekend or a break a bit more challenging also.

9. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 6, 2011

As a college student, I don't mind having exams on Monday because it allows me the weekend to focus on the material rather than having to balance studying with all my other academic and extracurricular obligations. However, I also observe that the majority of my peers don't use weekends the same way I do...:)

10. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Mar 6, 2011

It depends on the student...if its a motivated student, they will choose to study over the weekend and do just as well...unmotivated students who choose to not study will probably do worse as its been a couple days since they have seen the material.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 6, 2011

I don't give tests on Mondays. I always review the day before a test and I feel like if I review on Friday, they have 2 days to forget the material, LOL. Unfortunately, most of my students admit to me that they don't study so the weekend is just an extended period to forget the material.

12. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 6, 2011

I had a high school teacher who always gave tests on Monday. His reasoning was that it taught us responsibility. I kind of agree with this. Students who are responsible are going to study whenever the test is. Students who aren't, won't.

13. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Mar 6, 2011

I do agree with that, Id love to do that, but with my school's position I cant afford to do that with the state testing...If I could make things my way Tests would be worth 75% (I can only have one category worth at most 40% of a grade) and yeah, putting tests on Monday, might start doing that in my elective math classes

14. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 6, 2011

Well, I second the interest in research about this topic. I agree with the conventional wisdom that tests on Monday don't allow for review, and don't allow for someone to get back into the routine. I actually really like the idea presented by Go 4th that tests on Monday teach responsibility, but they also intermingle responsibility with academic achievement, which could ultimately muddy up a true picture of whether or not a child is achieving - yes, it would place responsibility on them, but if they don't accept the responsibility and end up doing worse Monday than they would another day, you have an inaccurate perspective on the child's academic performance. I do still think with some groups of kids - particularly high school kids who you know will have more motivation to do well.

Research anyone?

15. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 6, 2011

Any test we give-standardized, etc. . is usually on Monday! That's been our district's schedule-
    Monday-reading
    Tues-Math
    We-Sci
    TH-SS

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 6, 2011

I give tests when I am finished with the chapter. Whatever the day of the week. I am not going to string out a chapter just to make the test fall on a Tuesday. I have a state tested course and I will never have them prepared at the end of the semester if I take time like that. I have found that pushing the test to Tuesday and starting the NEXT chapter on Monday, just to avoid a test on Monday, is far worse than just giving a test when it is due.

I can't stand the idea of avoiding Monday tests because they might forget the material over a two-day break. If I thought I was only teaching so my students would remember the material for two/three days, I'd go into a deep depression!

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2011

My children do better with a test on Monday than any other day of the week...go figure!?
    Our state also must also think that Mondays are good testing days because they schedule state standardized tests on Mondays.

18. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2011

I have no problem with tests on Mondays, as long as we spend some time reviewing the material just before it. If we spend about 30 minutes in review (whiteboards, quiz) and then they take the test, they usually do fine. I wouldn't just throw a test at them out of the blue, unless I told them about it on Friday...

19. bondo

bondo Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

I am not a fan of tests on monday because mondays in general just arent that great! Like most people I try to avoid tests on monday, but I also do no like to push tests back a day and start on the next unit before we completed the test. It's the nature of the beast.

20. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Mar 8, 2011

Ditto.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2011

I'm going to say that I would avoid Mondays....
    I'm going to come at it from a dfferent view... mine is if the parents are divorced & it's someone's weekend where the kids don't usually stay it can be hectic. For one the parent really wants to spend time ith the kid...not just studying. I for one having gone through this would be "wiped" out from the weekend & I will say it a few times I stayed home from school simply because I was worn out!! So that means I would have missed a Monday test.

I'm not saying you have to schedule around that & that those parents can't help either... but it is exhausting to younge ones.