Do some Catholic schools hire Protestant teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by porque_pig, Jun 2, 2011.

1. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Jun 2, 2011

I sent in a resume to several local private schools, one of which is Catholic. I received an encouraging response from the school, but I'm a little worried. I'm a very religious Protestant with two years of teaching experience at a Catholic university, and I'm not sure if a Catholic K-12 school would be willing to hire a Protestant teacher. Do some Catholic schools consider hiring Protestants? Thanks, all!

3. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 2, 2011

The one I used to teach in did. We had a couple teachers who were not Catholic. I'm sure it varies by district. Good luck!

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 2, 2011

Yes! At mine we have a very sweet Jewish lady who teaches art. I haven't heard of a Catholic school requiring that you be of the faith to be hired.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 2, 2011

I'm sure they do- unless you would be required to teach religion then it might be a problem (unless you could prove you knew enough about things specific to catholics- saints, etc.) My mom's prodestant school has a catholic teacher if that helps, haha. I know at my mom's school they have to sign a statement of faith so you do have to be religious to work there but not necessarily the exact same denomination.

6. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

Jun 2, 2011

At our school there are a couple of teachers that are not Catholic. I believe our board's policy states that there can be a certain percentile of non-Catholic teachers at a particular school. Guess it depends on the board....

7. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 2, 2011

We have several non-Catholic staff members, but I believe it depends on the school, and whether or not you are required to teach religion.

8. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Jun 2, 2011

My school has non-Catholic teachers. One teacher in each grade level must be Catholic and both teachers for Sacrament years (2nd and 8th).

9. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 3, 2011

At my school we do. We have a few that are other religions, and several non practicing catholics or any religion really. It depends by school.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2011

Mine does.

I've worked with people from a wide variety of religions.

We're mostly Catholic, but I think that's largely because some non-Catholics don't think to apply.

I've also been offered jobs at schools run by Lutheran and Society of Friends communities, even though my resume screams "CATHOLIC."

11. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Jun 3, 2011

Hooray! Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm feeling encouraged.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2011

My friend is an atheist and taught at a Catholic school. Of course, he didn't say that during the interview or anything, and he wasn't teaching religion. They just asked that you not teach against any Catholic teachings (like advocating birth control was a big one I remember him mentioning).

Most Catholic schools that I know of would hire a non-Catholic. Usually it is the fundamentalist paraochial schools that are a little pickier. I looked into the one across the street from me, mostly because I thought it would be awesome to just walk across the street to work. But I looked at the contract and just living with my BF (or any male who isn't a relative or my husband) makes me ineligible.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 3, 2011

The school my children attend has Non Catholics teachers...but they have to supervise the children at church still and yes, they have to refrain from stepping outside the realm of the Church's teachings. I am not sure if they would ask if you were living with someone before marraige, but I know you wouldn't be allowed to discuss it.

It is fairly welcoming, now children who aren't Catholic are even allowed to attend schools...when I was a child....all Nuns.

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 3, 2011

I'm not Catholic and I teach 4th grade at a Catholic School that values diversity. Some one else has to come in to teach Religion (you have to be Catholic to teach that.)

I love my Catholic School. Since some of the students are not Catholic, I can be a role model for them, too.

15. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jun 3, 2011

We have a small staff of nine, and one of our teachers is not Catholic. I do have to say though that my P told me that one of the main reasons she was hiring me was that she knew I was a "good Catholic." That to say that being Catholic is usually an asset when applying to a Catholic school.