Do Preschools Generally Allow Crazy-Colored Hair?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by DEO, May 6, 2016.

1. DEO

DEO New Member

May 6, 2016

My hair isn't crazy-colored, but I want to do it before I'm "settled" (I'm 18 now. No, I'm not getting married out of high school, I just feel like time is coming down on me to do this since I'll probably be graduating with a bachelor's in 3 years--assuming I do well on my APs).
    I don't work in a preschool either, but it's something I would like to do for the time being (probably as an AT since I don't have a degree). I don't think it's my life calling, but I enjoy doing it and have experience in teaching and caring for children, as well as curriculum planning, due to my 2 years in child development at high school. Also, I should receive a 90 hour certificate for early childhood education sometime after graduation (hence higher pay). Bottom line is, I daresay I'm at least not unqualified.
    Maryland is a fairly liberal state, but I can still imagine it being an issue since they have had so little exposure to the world, so weird hair colors would probably lead to increased distraction.
    I understand each preschool has its own style, but I was wondering what the general trend is, especially in Maryland. Thanks! :)

3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

May 6, 2016

I would assume most places have dress codes prohibiting "unnatural" hair color. As a parent, I would prefer a more professional and mature look from my child care teachers.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 6, 2016

Haircolor is a non-issue in my district. It can be any color you like.

MrsC likes this.
  5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 6, 2016

Here as well. Any colour, any style.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 6, 2016

You're 18. You love the kids. Learn from this experience. No one should judge you by your hair. Why not try a single streak of a color? The kids would probably think it was kind of fun and you'd be less likely to 'raise eyebrows' of those who are more conservatively minded.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

May 6, 2016

Depends on the place!!
    I worked at one small daycare that didn't have a dress code (or hair code) as long as you were covered up!
    I worked at another fancier 22000 sq ft daycare that had a super strict dress code; we had to wear uniforms, normal colored hair, covered up tattoos, no crazy piercings, etc.
    These 2 daycares were a 5 minute drive away from each other on the same street!

8. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

May 6, 2016

You can probably find both types in the same area, it'll just be different styles of programs as ChildWhisperer mentioned. As a parent, I don't really care about hair color although overall professional appearance matters (in other words I care more about appropriate clothing and clean, non-sloppy hair than hair color and visible tattoos). There are many teachers at my school with visible tattoos and I find that much more acceptable than the few teachers who wear clothes that are unprofessional.

9. DEO

DEO New Member

May 6, 2016

Thank you all so much for your replies! If I do dye my hair (I'm not entirely certain I will soon, but I wanted to ask just in case), I will definitely keep all this in mind. I feel much more comfortable knowing that there seem to be many preschools that accept this. :)

10. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

May 7, 2016

My advise, "Dress for Success". If you want to be taken seriously, look the part. Lots of luck. You sound like an incredible young woman. However, not everyone thinks kool aid colored hair is professional.

ChildWhisperer and GemStone like this.
  11. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

May 7, 2016

There are many that don't. Do you want to limit your options over something as trivial as hair color?

12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

May 9, 2016

I should mention that the daycare with the strict dress code paid $10K more per year than the daycare without a dress/hair code.. So remember that! :)

13. Mrkidzeal

Mrkidzeal New Member

Jun 29, 2016

I styled rainbow color to my 11 month old kid's hair, and you won't believe he looks fabulous.A colorful ombré is possible!

14. ece

ece Rookie

Jul 31, 2016

Maybe wait until after you have the job before you dye it? That way, it won't distract them from hiring you, and they'll already have seen your abilities in action when you dye it. I think the biggest hurdle is getting the job, so you want every advantage you can have going in.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2016

There are certainly more important things to worry about. I would try to look professional as possible while trying to get hired then find out about any dress codes. Would you really not take a job if they forbid "crazy hair colors"??