Do I write a letter of resignation if I'm just a temp?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 5, 2017

Just a quick logistical question.

I've already told my AP that I'm not coming back next year, and I'm a temp so they've already terminated me for next year because it's only a one-year contract (I already got that letter). Do I also need to write a letter of resignation or do I just do nothing, because it ends anyway?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2017

It might be nice to have a pleasant "thank you for the opportunity" letter in your file in case you ever decide to reapply for a job there down the road. I don't think one is necessary, though. Your call.

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2017

I think it's always good to have things in writing/documented. I would include language explaining that you were non-renewed due to staffing/budget levels/whatever, so that if a future employer asks, you can prove that it was not due to unsatisfactory performance.

MLB711 and Teacher0909 like this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 5, 2017

I like the idea of writing an almost thank-you note in lieu of a resignation letter (which wouldn't work since you're simply letting a contract expire).

ms.irene likes this.
  6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 5, 2017

It is not expected. I believe you will be getting a letter by May 30th letting you knw that your contract ended. If you want to write a thank you letter, I agree it can't hurt, especially if you want to return to the district.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 6, 2017

Probably "smart" to follow the advice of others about a thank you letter. However, I can't stand it, unless they have done something similar. Did you get a personal thank you letter from the principal or higher up admin?

I am willing to bet you are more valuable to an employer than they are to you.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 6, 2017

I never want to return to this district in a million years, but I always want to act professionally, and I guess I never know what will happen in the future. So maybe I will write a note.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 6, 2017

I also feel like venting about something that is probably nothing, and doesn't matter anyway, so I don't want to start a new thread for it, but I am getting deeply annoyed when teachers react to me telling them that I won't be back next year with "Aww. I'm sorry. It's tough to get that letter of rejection" kind of responses.

It's so annoying because I was the one who decided they didn't want to come back. The Ps actually really wanted me to stay (especially because half of the department is leaving next year as well).

I know it's really nothing and it's stupid to get worked up over, I'm just tired of the constant misunderstandings, and even when I tell them otherwise, they still seem to think I should be broken up about not returning next year. (I'm actually overjoyed not to have to work here next year.)

Pashtun likes this.
  10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 6, 2017

Just tell them, "actually, this was my decision, so don't feel bad for me". You can also add, if you're very annoyed: "I have bigger and better things lined up" :)

MLB711 likes this.
  11. webgeenius

webgeenius New Member

Apr 7, 2017

Give your registration in written. written communication is best way of communication