Do I Stay or Do I Go?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by historyknitter, Dec 6, 2017.

1. historyknitter

historyknitter Rookie

Dec 6, 2017

I'm currently working at a poorly managed alternative school, the P who is new this year seems to be afraid of confrontation so our students are pretty much running the show, cheating (I'm doing the best I can to curb it), showing up high, etc.
    I am getting a lot of call backs on jobs that start at the semester, but this is my first "real" teaching job. I was a sub last year, until I was an Resident Assistant at a boarding school for 6 months until the school year ended. And then I got hired here in August, I knew it would be a rough job, but I never imagined that I would be dealing with a P who didn't know what he was doing - I feel unsafe at work some days and that is a major issue.
    My concern is that I will look flakey if I keep switching jobs every 6 months to future employers - say if this job was only until May and then I had to find another job. So do I stay in a terrible environment or do I go to somewhere that seems better but may look badly on my resume?

3. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Dec 6, 2017

If the reason for leaving is that the job term ended or a situation was unsafe, I don’t think it will look bad. If the pattern continued over several years it would look bad, but at this point I don’t think it will reflect badly for you to leave a job that is impacting your health and safety.

Just be sure to check your contract if you have one to make sure you give appropriate notice or what the consequences of breaking contract could be.

4. Jax123

Jax123 Rookie

Dec 16, 2017

I'm kind of in the same situation but a little different. I plan on finishing out the school year at my new job which I hate (unless a miracle happened and I was offered a job somewhere else) but plan on looking for new teaching jobs. I'm afraid what it would look to employers that I am looking for jobs after a year already. I'm trying to figure out what I would in a job interview if they ask me.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 16, 2017

6 months is so short you don’t even need to include it on your resume. Pretend you were writing a novel during that time.