Do I or don't I? -name-dropping

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Mar 15, 2017.

1. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Mar 15, 2017

I have an interview Monday with a district adjacent to the one I attended as a child. The situation is that the district has two music teachers, a husband and wife pair, who have covered all of their music instruction for the last 15-ish years. Now they're adding a position because of enrollment growth and new regs on instructional time in music. The P told me that the interview will be with her, the AP, and the wife. Here's my question: Should I mention that I know the current teachers' daughter? Just a casual, "What's L up to?" type of thing. I did a few community theater shows with one of their kids almost a decade ago. I'm torn between using it to support that I can fit in with their culture and it coming off as a stretch and trying too hard.

I know I'm possibly overthinking, but this job could work out really well for me. I've been job sniped locally at least twice before by people who had better connections, so I'm tempted to name-drop if it might edge me over another candidate. On one hand, I would prefer if my qualifications were enough, but on the other, I want this job.

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Mar 15, 2017

Sorry, but I would not mention it unless the information pertains to your qualifications for the position. I think it might be a stretch in terms of a connection.

bella84 and Leaborb192 like this.
  4. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2017

I would mention your involvement in community theater to support your passion for music in the part of the interview where they ask you to tell them about yourself. If the wife presses what shows you were in, I would answer and let her make the connection. I wouldn't bring it up. Simply knowing her daughter isn't really a strong enough connection to name drop.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2017

You could bring up the community theater experience if it makes sense during the interview but DON'T mention the daughter.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 16, 2017

Your community theater experience will give you some points so I would bring that up. If they end up saying that their daughter was also involved then you might state that you remember working with her.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Mar 16, 2017

Is it a SMALL town? Because sadly that's usually how people get the job. I've known people who KNEW they had the job before they even walked out of the interview because they were friends (or related) to the admin or board members. I say keep it about your experience and qualifications, but have it in your back pocket. Seriously. You want to bring in all the ammo you can.
    It's not fair to the rest of us who may not have connections, but it's reality.

8. viola_x_wittrockiana

Mar 16, 2017

Thanks for the input everyone.
    Pretty much. It's all of 1,000 people and three cornfields separate from my city. The school I'd be at is a whole 10 minutes away. If we were big enough to have suburbs, it'd be one. I'm not sure just how insular they are though, considering that the majority of the residents work in my city.
    That's happened to me at least twice. Once it was a principal's daughter, the other time it was another teacher's wife. It is possible that I'm the frontrunner this time. They let me know about the interview almost two weeks in advance and the application period doesn't even end until tomorrow. I'm interpreting that as either they like me or I'm an obligation interview. Hopefully, it's the former.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Mar 16, 2017

I wouldn't mention the daughter.

10. viola_x_wittrockiana

Mar 21, 2017

Whelp, no job for me. At least they were prompt about telling me they don't want me? I did end up mentioning the daughter because I was getting that "I know you, but I can't place you" look. As soon as I said theatre, she knew exactly which shows. It didn't matter one way or the other though. I didn't have the job from the minute I walked in. I look too young and too small. Not much I can do about that, so on to the next batch of applications.