Do I need a reality check?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2014

Scenario:

I was out sick, per doctor's orders, on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

My school had a mandatory training session on Tuesday. All teachers had to attend it during their prep period.

Today they have a make-up training session for people who missed Tuesday's session. They are only offering it during periods when I have class, not during my prep period.

When I told them this, they told me that they will find coverage for my class so that I can attend.

I asked for another option, considering that my students have had sub for three days already this week and this would make a fourth day with a sub. They said no. I offered to meet with the trainer (who is a staff member and not in a classroom) during my prep next week. They said no.

I am angry about this. Usually I let things roll off my back, and by "things" I mean all the stupid decisions made my the powers that be. This decision frustrates me because my students are missing out on valuable instructional time so that I can go sit in a pointless training. How do I know that it will be pointless? The Powerpoints and handouts have been posted on our staff forum thing and I've already read through them. I analyzed the data and determined it to be pointless. Ha.

I'm seriously angry about this. "Fuming mad", even. Maybe I need a reality check. Do I? Am I being irrational? Tell it to me straight. I can take it. :haha: and also :mad:

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 3, 2014

I fight tooth and nail to do all trainings..etc outside school hours. I hate missing student learning days.

I agree 100% with you.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2014

I agree, especially given the circumstances that you are in (that meaningful learning really can't take place in your content area with a sub). It's a shame that the powers-that-be can't see that... :(

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2014

Those people are fools! Does that help a little bit? Teachers go through countless days of stupid PD all year.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2014

Makes me so glad that any PD meetings we miss with a medical excuse may be completed in packet format on our own time. I have no idea why that's such a complicated / alien idea.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 3, 2014

My P would fight to keep me in the classroom instead of forcing you to do this training. So silly and I'm sorry you have to miss 4 days. Hope someone's mind gets changed!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 3, 2014

I was in need of a good laugh today. This fits the bill. :lol:

On a serious note, though: You have every right to be displeased!

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 3, 2014

OK, I know where you are coming from, but maybe I'm just a realist - they are going to do it when it works for them. It's business. Take a deep breath and let the tension leave your body - you've been sick! As dedicated as you are, I bet your sub plans rocked, and your students will be so glad to get you back. I've seen classes that wanted to just keep the sub, so some things are all in the perspective. :rofl:

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 3, 2014

That sounds rather annoying. I'm glad I've never had to deal with admin as unreasonable as that.

What happens if you just don't attend and stay in class?

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2014

They sent another teacher to come cover my last class of the day and made me go to the training. After the training I laid it out for the presenter (also the person who made the decision that I had to be pulled from a class to go to this training) in no uncertain terms. I honestly think I might have scared him. Sorry not sorry.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 3, 2014

If you put on your Snape face, I'm sure you did scare them.

So, how did they take your displeasure?

I do agree that they should have found another way for you to learn what you had to learn without your students having to have another sub.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2014

Was this a state-mandated training, or was it for your particular school. Again, I'm amazed they couldn't find a way to create packet work for makeup.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2014

1. Apparent surprise. In my real life I am very nice, quiet, and unassuming (shocker, I know), and I think that many people, including this presenter, mistake my niceness for weakness, cluelessness, and/or an inability to speak my mind. This presenter was visibly taken aback when I started expressing myself (professionally, of course) after the training.

2. Patronizing comments. "You're such an amazing teacher" blah blah blah. Yeah, I know that. :haha: But if you really believed that, then you would have let my students keep me.

3. Repetition. "This training is mandatory for everyone."

All in all, I expect nothing to change. I'm still glad that I said what needed to be said. I just wish that it would have been heard.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2014

My particular school.

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 3, 2014

While I would have been annoyed, I don't think I would have said anything. I absolutely hate to rock the boat!

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2014

I typically don't say anything either. I felt like I had to say something this time, though.