Do I have to do separate student teaching for each certification area?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by UpperMidwest, May 11, 2018.

1. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

May 11, 2018

I am working on becoming certified in business education. If I want to be certified in marketing too, for instance, would I have to do separate student teaching for the area as well? I am interested in teaching in Minnesota or Wisconsin if it makes a difference. Thanks.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 11, 2018

You will need to contact the state Board of Education where you are initially getting your license. There is no single answer because each state has its own requirements, I'm afraid.

UpperMidwest and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

May 11, 2018

I will do that.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 11, 2018

From what I've seen and encountered, most states don't require you to student teach for each endorsement. Some do require you to student teach for each grade level (elementary, middle, high), if your new endorsement would put you in a level other than the one you originally student taught in. As @catnfiddle said, it's best to contact your state board.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 11, 2018

I was originally certified in Florida, and moved to Louisiana. I student taught in 4th grade. In Florida, I was certified K-6. It translated to K-5 in Louisiana (plus ESOL K-12). I've since taken additional PRAXIS tests to add on 7-12 in English and Speech. I had enough hours on my transcript to add on Social Studies. I did not have to student teach again in secondary, and have been teaching high school for 10 years now.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 11, 2018

catnfiddle is quite correct to direct you to the state board of education to confirm what's needed. With that said, I can venture some, um, educated guesses.

A state that doesn't treat marketing as distinct from business education for purposes of obtaining an initial teaching license - and many states don't - obviously won't make distinct provision for pedagogy (that is, teaching methodology) in marketing. Minnesota's list of teacher tests (see the link on this page) includes business but not marketing, from which it seems likely that, in Minnesota, marketing isn't a distinct licensure area: the holder of a Minnesota license in business probably won't need to do a thing to be eligible to teach marketing.

A state that does offer a license in marketing that's distinct from business education will have a subject-matter test in that area, Wisconsin is such a state. Wisconsin COULD require a distinct pedagogy course in marketing, and I know of at least one state in which each single-subject licensure area has its own pedagogy course - but even that state requires a license holder to student teach exactly once, as long as the initial license is also in a single-subject content area. And, as Caesar753 has pointed out, most states still orient their pedagogy coursework around age/grade, not subject matter.