Do first year teachers have time to exercise??

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by englishteach7, Nov 6, 2010.

1. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Nov 6, 2010

I am wanting to lose those pesky last 10 pounds and tone up! I've been packing healthy lean cuisine meals and eating healthier, but I still feel like I need to tone up and exercise in order to meet my goal weight. I just can't imagine how I'd fit it in. I have a 45 minute commute to and from my school that I teach. I'm a first-year teacher and a mom to a 3 year old. I have a rather large house to try and keep clean. I just want to fit in exercise somehow. Was thinking about joining a gym that is located alone my commute 8 minutes away from my house. I don't know if I'd stick with it though due to being so busy. Any suggestions?

3. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Nov 6, 2010

4. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Nov 6, 2010

Thanks for the links. I was thinking about joining the gym. I have no time for exercise during planning. I try to get as much planning and grading out of the way during planning because I have a 3yrold at home and cannot get much done at home!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2010

You can exercise if you make time for it. I'm sure that you can get a workout DVD and do it once your child is in bed. You can also maybe take a walk around school during your lunch or before/after school.

I'd also stop with those Lean Cuisine meals. They're not very great for you, even if they are low-cal. They usually have lots of sodium, which isn't good for you. Eat fresher foods, more fruits and veggies. That'll help.

6. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Nov 6, 2010

Check in your area if there are any health clubs that have special pricing just for district employees. A local health club here has a special price of $30 a month with no initiation fee just for teachers.

7. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Nov 6, 2010

I have checked and it's still quite expensive. I'm thinking I might try Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. The workouts combine strength training and cardio and are just 25 mins a day! Plus the DVD is only $6 on Amazon. I think I could squeeze in 25 mins a day to work out!

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2010

I second this. I bring homemade salad or soup and a fruit to lunch everyday. While I'm not on a diet, it's keeping my weight in check. I also feel better. When I look at the food the other teachers eat, I cringe.

I know it's hard to find time to exercise. But, I like the suggestion that someone said about working out when your child goes to bed. Working out before school or during lunch doesn't work for me.

Do you have the wii? I have a TON of workout games for the wii that are so much fun but make you sweat.

9. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Nov 6, 2010

I do have a wii. I don't really get a good workout from the Wii Fit DVD. I have been successful with working out with Winsor Pilates so that's why I'm going to try Jillian Michael's ( I know it's not Pilates, but I seem to do okay with at-home DVDs versus the gym.)

I think I will try to bring in more salad/soup/sandwiches. I love fresh chicken or tuna salad on wheat bread. I tend to bring in leftovers from dinner as well. I had no idea the Lean Cuisine meals were bad for you.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 6, 2010

I also saw a news report on how the nutritional info is allowed to be off by 30%... that seems insanely wrong to me! So you may think that you are having a 300 calorie meal, but it may be way more. They are convenient, but I stopped with them after hearing that. I have become addicted to my crockpot!

11. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Nov 6, 2010

Crockpot meals are definitely so yummy! I have a crockpot, but I don't know of many recipes. Are there any websites with great, fast and cheap recipes for the crockpot, UVAgrl?

12. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Nov 6, 2010

I just made pork roast tonight in the crockpot. I sprinkled seasoning salt and paprika on a 2 lb. pork loin (on sale and small, so it's cheap) and put it in the crockpot on low for about 7 hours. No liquid or anything! If you have a larger one, I'd recommend cooking it a little longer. I throw some quick sides together when I get home (you could do instant mashed potatoes or use leftover rice, and serve with steamed veggies), but the main course is pretty much done! You could bring the leftovers to work the next day, too! Leftovers really have been my saving grace. It's just me and my husband here, but I cook for 4 and we bring the leftovers with us the next day.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2010

I have an hour duty free lunch every day...I put on my Skechers Shape Ups and walk for about 35-40 minutes of that time and then return to school for a quick healthy lunch...at the end of the day, I ride my recumbent exercise bike while watching TV...

14. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Nov 7, 2010

That sounds so good! I have a small crockpot too. I want to get a bigger one. I'm going to try this recipe this week. Thanks!

15. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Nov 7, 2010

I would do that too because I do have 45 mins for lunch and some time for planning but I'm so bombarded with grades and planning then. I think I'm going to try afterschool for walking.

16. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Nov 7, 2010

Try to go for a 20 minute walk with your 3 yr old each day after school. Or go to the park and use the items there to do pull ups and different exercises. That is what I want to do, but right now, the days I leave work before dark to get my girls are the days they have activities.
    So I am going to walk with my students that have to march during recess. It won't be a huge work out, but I figure having them sit out does no good for anyone, so I will atleast make them get rid of some energy. I taught them how to march at a brisk pace and I kept time with them. I am also using this time to have some heart to hearts with my most "active" students. Since many times I only have a few of them walking with me after 10 minutes.... We will see if I can keep it up :)

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 7, 2010

The only way I figured out how to do it is to get up at 4:30am ... that sounds horrible to some, but you get used to it.

18. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Nov 7, 2010

I would have to wake at 5 or 5:15 at the latest to fit in a 25-30 minute workout. That does sound horrible to me, but I am wanting to see a change in my body and energy level; I want to see results so I am just going to go to bed earlier and force myself to do it. It's for my health and well-being. I need to keep it a priority.

19. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Nov 7, 2010

That's a great idea!

20. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 7, 2010

When I started on my weight loss journey over a year ago, I joined a free site called www.sparkpeople.com. I used it to track my calories (it's great for this!) and plan meals. I wound up losing 46 pounds in about a year (the first 30 came off really fast, the others took a little more effort). They own the site www.sparkrecipes.com where I get most of my recipes... I like it because it lists the nutritional info for the recipe, so there is no guess work. It is also searchable, so if you are looking for a certain type of cuisine, like Mexican, you can search that, or if you are looking for a chicken dish, you can search for chicken. Right now my bf and I are eating the "Crockpot Vegetarian Spinach Lasagne" off the site. I love how simple so many of the recipes are. With our tight funds, I try to find the low cal recipes that limit the number of ingredients. This lasagna makes 8 servings! The freezer has also been a good friend of mine. I try to make 3-4 crockpot meals on the weekends and divide them into small containers to freeze to last us the week :)

21. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 8, 2010

I also use my exercise bike in the evening, at least 20 minutes while watching TV. It has really helped.