Do any of you perform in community theater? Or even if you don't, I seek your advice.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2009

I went to see a show today with one of my students from last year in it. I have seen two students in shows there. Seeing her perform brought back so many memories of how I loved theater when I was younger. I happened to look in the program and see the upcoming shows for 2009-2010, and the show set for March 2010 was one I was in when I was in high school!

Back then, though, I wasn't a good singer nor necessarily the best actor. The acting teacher did not make the best impression on me, though, as she said I didn't meet the level the other students were at. I was an extra in the show, basically- the last person on the roster.

For some reason, I want to try out for the March 2010 show, but two things scare me a bit-
    1. Will they actually cast me?! I've never performed in community theater. The last time I attempted acting (college), I impressed my teacher in the big show, but I still did not do as well as a number of my classmates.
    2. Will I have time for it?! I am a fourth grade teacher, School Advisory Council member, and one of Scholastic.com's advisors this year.

So much of my life outside of school is... school, normally. What would you do in my situation?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

I say go for it, but the time factor is a huge factor. I was going to try out for the local production, but I'm SWAMPED right now, and I had to realistically tell myself that would not allow me to do anything up to my standards-everything would suffer. Community theatre is a blast, but it's a time suck.

As to if they will cast you-who cares? I've auditioned and not gotten parts and that's ok. You just feel great that you tried!

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2009

Explain your teaching situation and find out the schedule before you commit. Are their matinees you will need to perform in, for example? When will you practice?

As far as will you get a part, it depends. I have seen very large community theaters that are very competitive and sometimes its all in who you know - people who are active in the organization outside of just auditioning might be more likely to get a part than someone who just comes in to audition, so maybe you could get involved now. On the other hand, some theaters are very small and will cast anyone.

Good luck, what show is it?

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 9, 2009

I used to do community theater, and it was so much fun! Based on my experience, you'd be looking at rehearsals, 3-4 nights a week for about 2-3 months. Our rehearsals used to run from 7-10. Some of it will depend on what part you get, and how the director schedules the rehearsal.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2009

I'd ask for a small part... but I am leery of it because of the time factor. Maybe I'll just see the show, LOVE IT (I know I will), and see if there's ever a summer production I can perform in.

I agree with Jem about doing things that have to meet my standards- I'd probably feel stressed unless I learn to manage my time much, much better. I was thinking of this at first because I dedicate so much time to my profession, and I need to find something to be involved with outside of school. I don't know what to get involved with outside of school... sounds sad, but true.

I know people who work for the theater, but obviously I haven't been in any shows there and a few (gasp) may remember me from high school theater. Curse!! :-/

By the way, the shows are on Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon for a few weeks. The show is Li'l Abner.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

Usually the rehearsals are always later at night so I think it would just depend on how much time your other activities take. Like others said, in some theaters it's completely who you know. (I almost had the lead in The Music Man once, and then the director's daughter came in at the last minute to audition and got the part.) I would go try out and just look at it as a fun experience no matter what happens.

8. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

There is a teacher at my school who is almost always in a play/musical. Because most of the people she performs with also work, rehearsals are in the evenings. They usually run on a weekend Fri - Sun with a matinee on Sun.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

If you have the time...go for it!

-hugs- Break a leg ;)

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

I bet you could do it all, you might get really tired and somewhat stressed but I think it would be satisfying for you.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

My daughter's high school did a musical this spring. They had several teachers in it (and the principal.) From the audience stand point: Fantastic!