Do any Early Childhood Teachers or Previous Early childhood teachers feel as they are not valued

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Dec 2, 2016.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Dec 2, 2016

Hey there,

I currently teach Pre-K and feel so under valued. I teach a federally funded Pre K that happens to be located in a daycare instead of a school. Many people feel as all I do is daycare work. I even had to explain to a poster on another education forum that Pre-K teacher are required to have 4 year degrees and certifications and that some states are pushing for degrees and certifications for teachers that teach below pre k.

Many people still think that Pre K is considered daycare and that teachers are not required to teach anything. They believe that these things will be acquired in the Kindergarten grade level. Well, they are in for a big surprise. I am just appalled at the way people perceptions are about Pre K .

I take my job serious and attended many trainings to teach Pre Kindergarten.

A lot of parents also thinks that 4 and 5 year olds are too young for the level of education required for pre k students.

I have to explain that we are required to teach standards that should be grasped before kindergarten

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Dec 2, 2016

As far as parents go, I felt more appreciated when I taught Pre-K "in a daycare". They were just so grateful and told me the following year how their kids were excelling in Kindergarten.
    But from other people, I feel more appreciated now that I work in an elementary school, even though I'm teaching the exact same age group!! Somehow it's "better" than a daycare.
    Makes no sense.
    I remember at my first job at a small daycare, I was talking to someone who asked if I ever wanted to go to school for my Associate's.... I told him, "nah, my Bachelor's degree is enough for now"
    The assumptions are great..
    It's fun when people find out I have a Master's in Education because 1. I look super young, and 2. I teach preschool and apparently you don't need any degrees to teach that age (so false)

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 2, 2016

In my state pre-k teachers don't have to have four year degrees (they do have to have training) and they typically aren't paid the same as K-12 teachers. My district pays our preschool teachers hourly and it's something like $12-16 an hour. Meanwhile, the lowest rung on the K-12 salary scale works out to be about $25 an hour if you broke it down into hourly pay. I think this speaks volumes about how little ECE is valued. I do think it's extremely important. People don't seem to realize that it's possible to come into Kindergarten behind/below grade level (I've actually had arguments on this board about that). I work in a low SES district and many of our students are coming into K years behind developmentally. Everything gets pushed down to our poor K teachers because many teachers assume that everything starts in K/ it's okay to come into K with no skills/knowledge and that "gaps are created" started in K. In reality, many of our kids are coming in at a 2-3 year old level and functioning in a K level classroom is extremely difficult for them.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 15, 2016

I teach pre -k and many people, even those who know I have a bachelor's and state certification, ask me about my daycare. You are right, both deserve more respect than they get. However, it is definitely a calling. You must find your reward in your own work and the children. There just aren't many kudos for ECE out there.

6. TeacherCuriousExplore

Dec 16, 2016

Exactly! its almost as if we are the last on the totem pole

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 16, 2016

Wen I taught pre-K it was in a private daycare center. I felt so valued! I think it depends on the area, the school, and the parents.

8. TeacherCuriousExplore

Dec 16, 2016

Sadly, I feel under valued by parents and teachers. If I choose to join in a discussion about teaching many parents will say that my job is to only allow them to play and teachers feel like my comments on certain issues are not warranted because I "babysit"