Do all teachers get paid once a month?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SportsJunkie25, Jul 10, 2009.

1. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Hi!

I heard all teachers get paid once a month. Is this true? Private and Public? Just wondering b/c I'm trying to figure out my monthly budget and according to paycheckcity.com, I'd make $200 more/mo if I were paid monthly instead of bi-weekly. :eek:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

It depends on the school.

The first school where I taught, it was monthly. My current school is twice a month, my husband's school is every 2 weeks.

But it shouldn't make a difference in your total pay. You would make $200 more on each calendar month, but most months you would have 30 or 31 days between paychecks... that can be tought to budget!!!

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

How does frequency of paycheck disbursement affect the total?

My district pays monthly, which is miserable because I need to figure out how the %^#^% I am going to do things like buy groceries, gas and feed my bird until sometime in October, when my bank account already only has $47 in it (barely enough to feed my bird, and she has to take priority).

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

We get paid every two weeks.
    Molly...don't you get deferred pay for summer?

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

Ditto-

We get paid every other Friday-

Zoe- I haven't noticed a different in the "missing a day" this summer yet because my last two checks had some "xtras" on them from some after school stuff I had. I know it's coming and I can't believe I got paid just last week.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

I am just graduating and starting my first teaching job. New teachers are nearly 7 weeks behind in pay, so although I start working in August, I will not be paid until October. And I apparently am in just about the only district that does not do an advance or split check for new teachers. This means that I have to figure out how to move, pay for test score reports and transcripts, a TB test and other things when I have no income, savings sucked up by not working after a surgery in January and no money in the bank. My parents are helping as they can, but they are not in a good place themselves and it will be all they can do to help me with moving expenses. I don't even want to think about this. I am so stressed out about finances that I can't sleep and am having trouble breathing sometimes.

Basically, I'm thrilled I got a job, but I am staying awake at night wondering how I am going to afford to actually work this job. I'm going to have to stay with my parents until October because I can't afford deposits on an apartment, but that will mean 5-6 hours a day driving (while taking grad classes full time) and I'm not sure how I will pay for the gas either. :dizzy:

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

Molly, oh you poor thing! :dizzy::hugs:

All public teachers in NC are paid monthly.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

We get paid once a month, and get a total of ten checks. They used to do a 12-month program, but for some reason it was deemed to be illegal. We go back the last week of August and get our first check September 30.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

We get paid on the 5th and the 20th. I didn't realize that *anyone* only got paid once until this week when I was at a workshop and the teachers started talking about it. I couldn't do that. :)

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

We are paid every other Friday year round.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

We are paid every other Friday beginning the second week of school and ending the end of June. On our last June pay, we get advanc pay for the summer.

13. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Twice a month on the 5th and 20th. I am also paid over 12 months.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jul 10, 2009

We get paid monthly and get 3 checks in June. 1st check of the new year is the end of Aug. New teachers can get a $1000 bridge loan and pay it back beginning in Oct at $250 per month for 4 months.

Molly, suggestions for getting some extra money: Have a garage sale and clean out anything you can think of. People buy the strangest junk! I made $400 at my last sale and I had nothing extra good.

15. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

In both NY and FL I was paid every two weeks.

We had the option of "putting money aside" to get a check in June/July. I did that.

I didn't realize until I moved to NC that it was once a month! They did offer an advancement on salary-up to $2000. Paid it back for 10 months $222 or so.

I "heard" that we are getting paid year round next year. My monthly will be lower-but it will soooooooooooo help. My last pay check was in the last working day in May(minus the furlough the governor took from us) and my next won't be until the last working day in August (that's if I get a job).

I'm teaching summer school as a TA just to get through. I'll get 10 days in July and 10 days in August (the end of each month).

I actually make more $$$ on unemployment! I don't think I'll get unemployment for the 20 days I work in summer school.

16. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Oh, wow! It seems like everyone gets paid in a variety of ways. Well, thanks for the responses and I guess I'll just have to wait and ask the school.

Molly, I feel your pain. I'll be a new teacher and I'm super broke, too. Maybe they'll give us a sign on bonus? Lol. Yeah right. I'm still trying to come up w/ ideas on how to cover moving costs...this should be interesting. :mellow:

17. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

I don't have much here, else I would. Most of my stuff is with my parents in fairly inaccessible storage. Considered some textbooks, but this is rotten time for those; I would get less than 25% what I can get in August. I'm going to take classes full-time so I can get financial aid money end of August.

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, it sucks. My very satisfactory solution for tonight? White Russians.

I may be totally poor right now, but I've still got some Christmas Grey Goose and Kahlua stash left :D.

19. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

We get paid once a month for 12 months. New teachers get a 12 or 13 month pay cycle. If they opt for the 13 they get a check in Aug, and pay it back over the school year. Our fiscal year does not officially start until Sept. Some opt to wait until Sept.

20. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

I teach in Texas and we get paid once a month for 12 months. New teachers have 13th month option.

I can't imagine anything BUT being made monthly. I immediately pay all my bills and live on what's left. I at least ALWAYS know my bills will be paid.

I cannot imagine not getting paid throughout the summer though......

21. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 10, 2009

We get paid once a month year-round. There are some districts around me that get paid once a month on a 10 month year, but it is rare. I don't know of any in my area that get paid bi-weekly or weekly.