Do adults at your school call each other "Mr. Name" or Mrs. Name"?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Sep 17, 2012.

1. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Sep 18, 2012

At my former school, I frequently referred to my principal (out of the ear shot of students) by her first name. In front of her and other teachers I'd use Mrs. I also referenced her by her first name on occasion in front of parents especially parents I felt comfortable with. This put me in an weird situation once. A parent emailed her about a topic after I had discussed that topic with the parent. The parent started the email off to the principal with the principal's first name. The principal was flabbergasted because she felt like she didn't know this parent well. I know the parent only did it because I had referenced the p as her first name numerous times with this parent. I don't think the principal ever realized that it was me who was at fault because I simply shrugged it off as "oh well, you know how she is.". I do think that the use of last names has its place and should be used when appropriate.

2. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 18, 2012

I teach alongside many of my former teachers. Although they insist that I call them by their first names, I just can't.

Pretty much everyone at my school calls each other Mr. or Mrs. so-and-so.

3. Math

Math Cohort

Sep 18, 2012

Most teachers use Mr/Ms. Name.... some just use first names and some just use last names. If I were a teacher I would call teachers by Ms/Mr Name around students otherwise it would be their first name.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 18, 2012

I always call other teachers by their last names, but part of that might be because I'm so much younger than all of the other teachers, and I feel like a student here myself. xD

I think I am occasionally called Mr. _____ by some of the teachers, but I think the majority of them just call me by my first name, which I am fine with.

I like calling those who are older than me Mr. ____________ or Mrs. _____________ by default anyway, because I feel that gives them the proper respect. I don't really like it when they say "Call me by my first name! Mr./Mrs. makes me sound so old!"

I hate to point it out, but they are old. But they should be proud of that fact.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 18, 2012

I hate to be blunt, but if you really want to give people proper respect, refer to them as they wish and certainly don't point out to them that they are old.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2012

So anyone older than you is old?

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2012

Same here. There are only 11 of us, so we all know each other pretty well.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 18, 2012

We all call one-another by our first names. Many people do so even when students are present. I always call teachers by Mrs./Mr. _____ when students are around.

9. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Sep 18, 2012

I call the P and VP by their titles almost all the time. I'm new to the school so I also call teachers I don't know well Mr. and Mrs. This is out of habit from my mom drilling into me to address adults as Mr. and Mrs. My friends referred to my mom as Mrs. Mylastname, and she would insist we call our friends parents by Mr/Mrs. It's a hard habit to break.

I forget that I'm an adult now too.

10. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2012

When I was at my first school, 5 years ago, I was in a very rural, old-fashioned southern town. All of the teachers called each other Mr. and Mrs. I've seen several of them in social situations since, and even if they are the same age as me, I still say "Mr/ Mrs", which can appear awkward, but it's really uncomfortable to do anything else. Sometimes we will just omit the Mr/ Mrs. and just say their last name, like the Smith example. All of the kids just called everyone "Mizz" (insert southern accent).

Every other school teachers call each other by their first name.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 18, 2012

I teach at the school I attended. I started working there 5 years after I graduated, so most of my former teachers were still there. I absolutely could not bring myself to ever call any of them by their first names. Ever. Now I work with mostly people who are my age or younger, so I don't have trouble calling them by their first names. My former principal was a teacher in the building when I was a student. I still remember her calling me one summer to ask a question, and she said, "Hi, this is FirstName." :eek: I still can't use her first name, and I've worked with her for 20 years.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 18, 2012

Nope. I'm talking about people that are in their early 50's asking me to not call them by their last name because it makes them feel old. And I've met people even older who have asked me the same.

13. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Sep 18, 2012

I only say Mr./Mrs./Ms. when I'm talking to a student. Otherwise, we call each other by our last names. Although, there are times where I use only the last names in front of the kids (i.e. "Hey, you're supposed to be with Smith this period, right?"). I don't think I've ever heard a student refer to us by strictly last names, though.

14. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 18, 2012

There are a couple of former students who work at my school. One of them has called me by my first name since he started teaching there. The other one still calls me Mr. HistTchr, despite my many requests for him to call me by my first name. He said that he just can't bring himself to use my first name when he has always known me the other way. The funny thing is that I'm only maybe 6 years older than him since I had him my first year as a teacher!

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 18, 2012

I'm fine with blunt, but I really don't like the trend of people trying to be over-familiar with random strangers by asking them to call them by their first name or attempting to seem young. Age is nothing to be ashamed of, and people should stop being afraid of it.

Also, these are people I work with, and I prefer to know them mostly only on a professional basis. They can ask me all they want to call them by their first name, but chances are, I will do it in that instance, and then return to addressing them properly.

And I don't actually point out to them that they are old. I meant it generally (to you guys).