Dissections!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Camel13, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Apr 22, 2018

I was disappointed that an anatomy class was not part of my Integrated science teaching degree, and it is really forefront now that I need to prep a small group of students for a regional competition that includes a vertebrate dissection! I have never dissected anything in my life, but would love to learn. I have not seen PD courses ever in this topic either. I see where I can get animals to dissect online, but have to admit I am very nervous to tackle this! Any suggestions? Are there good online simulations or resources anyone has found for learning to dissect?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Apr 22, 2018

As for procuring cadavers, you want the vacuum-sealed kind, not the ones in fluid. Trust me, rat-in-a-bag was much less disgusting than bucket 'o' rat. The fluid-preserved kind sometimes absorb the fluid and have to be "popped" before starting dissection. That's every bit as gross as it sounds. Since none of you have done this, I recommend "dissecting" a vegetable first. That would give everyone a chance to familiarize themselves with the tools involved before working on an animal specimen.

Been There likes this.
  5. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Apr 23, 2018

There are lots of good videos on Youtube. The Youtube channel Biologybyme has a lot of good dissection videos. I have always ordered a couple of extra specimens that I'll practice on before the students if it's something new to me.

6. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 27, 2018

I got to do several organ dissections in my high school physiology class and dabbled in some amateur taxidermy, but would feel grossly inadequate if I had to prep a small group of students for a regional competition that includes a vertebrate dissection. Since you have never dissected anything in your life, what makes you think you can possibly do even a mediocre job in preparing the students? IMO, you're biting off far more than you can chew. Reminds me of some teachers that attempt to teach lessons for which they lack the content knowledge - impossible! On second thought, it might be fun to see how you handle a cadaver. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 29, 2018

If OP really wants to become proficient in dissection, it is too late for this year's group, but there must be a university nearby that offers a class in anatomy over the summer. It can be undergrad, so not too late to learn. Unfortunately, a little too late for this competition.;

Sadly it seems as if I received more experience in dissections in HS than OP did in college. I am very grateful for the wonderful biology teacher I had in HS.

Been There likes this.
  8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 29, 2018

Ya just cut and go.

Been There likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 29, 2018

Not quite that simple, if it is to actually be a learning experience. If no one cares if anything is learned, then get a chuck roast and make stew. You will at least have dinner to serve.

czacza likes this.
  10. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 30, 2018

Try looking at YT videos on dissections. They have been helpful to me. They aren’t wrong when they say there’s a YT video for everything.