Displacement

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Xgonefishin07x, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Xgonefishin07x

Xgonefishin07x New Member

Sep 2, 2017

So I'm going into my 3rd year of teaching. My first year was rough and I did not get asked back so I do not have a good reference from her. I finally found a principal that would give me another chance and I started doing a lot better (started getting highly effective in my reviews and a great reference) . This year we got a new principal. Since the year has started we've had 4 teachers displaced. She told me last week that they still have 30 empty seats at school and im next in seniority to be displaced. She expected a call that day from the district but it never came. It's been 3 days and no call but she thinks ill be displaced. Personally I can deal with it but I have 2 kids that go to school with me so it's very heartbreaking because if I move, so do they. So my question is should I just wait to see if I do get displaced (which might not come) or do I look for a new school that way I at least go to the school I want me kids at? If I get displaced there is no guarantee where ill go. If I look for a job I have to go through the awkward moment of telling her and I'm scared of getting another bad reference.

3. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Companion

Sep 2, 2017

I need more information about how this process works. Are you talking about applying outside your district or do you mean looking internally. Can you explain what this process looks like if you choose to start it?

4. Xgonefishin07x

Xgonefishin07x New Member

Sep 2, 2017

Honestly I don't know because I'm still new to teaching. I would be applying within the same district. As far as I know, if I choose to look for another job, I have to let me current principal know. She would also be called if i got an interview. I don't know how she would take it if I told her I was looking for a new job. I don't know her very well. She might understand because I stressed my care for my kids and the school they go to. Then again she might get very upset.

5. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 2, 2017

I don't think your P should or would be upset if she thinks you are about to lose your job and that you are going to apply elsewhere. She's probably told you about the expected phone call before it has actually happened so that you can start making arrangements?

6. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Sep 2, 2017

Do you automatically get another position in the district if you get displaced or not? If not, I would start applying now.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

I would start applying in district through whatever process exists.

8. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Companion

Sep 3, 2017

I would talk to your Principal. In most cases, you really need your Principal's support to be able to get a job internal to your system so you need to contact them anyway so that they know to expect reference check calls. Moreover, if you don't have a good sense of what is normal in your system, you really need to get a feel for it your Principal will support the applications. If you have a union, I would talk to the union first. If you don't have a union but have a colleague you feel comfortable asking who you know would keep it to themselves, I'd ask them first.

AlwaysAttend likes this.