Disillusionment period?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 2, 2018

During my 1st year of teaching, I didn't feel like I was accomplishing much besides trying to survive. Then a grade change and for the 2nd and 3rd years, I had all 6th grade math classes and it felt like I made a huge difference in their lives. During my 4th year at a new school (HS level), I felt encouraged with some classes but the rough ones made me question whether I was doing anything right. Last year at another new school, I learned quickly that lots of my students didn't care about what I was teaching and I was just getting through the day. No discipline problems but the kids just didn't want to be there. Now, in my 6th year of teaching and 2nd year at the same school, I'm feeling a bit disillusioned and I don't know whether it's because of the school I'm at, the students I teach, or just remembering how nice it was to have little 6th graders and then send them along once the year is out..... Does anyone else feel this way? The disillusionment of teaching?

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Nov 2, 2018

Do you think you might have a draw toward particular grades? - such as 6th? Any chance of moving back to that grade?

4. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Nov 2, 2018

Or maybe you just need a break...do you get time for yourself around Thanksgiving? How about winter break? To me it sounds like you really connected to 6th grade - but you can answer this much more honestly than some stranger on the internet! :)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2018

6. corunnermom

corunnermom Rookie

Nov 3, 2018

Everyday! I try to focus on the kids who I know want to learn and I've come to the sad conclusion that I can't save all the kids and make them learn. I've made my goal to create a safe, positive environment for my kids in which they at least learn something everyday! I question everyday whether I want to continue this path. At some point your bucket is just empty!

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 3, 2018

I remember seeing this graph when I was struggling in my first year! Now, if this chart applies to every teacher in any given year, then that would help explain the “why am I even doing this...” attitude. The more I think about it, I’ve felt this way for the past 3 years.....

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2018

I was at a PD committee mtg recently where this was shared and we all pretty much agreed that there are definitely phases we go thru regardless of how long we’ve taught

9. pommom

pommom Comrade

Nov 4, 2018

I have taught middle and high schoolers. I would much rather teach middle school. High schoolers act too cool for school.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 5, 2018

That and the fact that they could care less about my subject matter. I've found that over 90% of my students just hate math. I wonder if that's true in other places and that I have just been sheltered all my life..... Realizing that math is such a hated subject for many...

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 5, 2018

I really enjoyed teaching the lower grades! By the time students reach high school, most of them are very far behind grade-level wise and just struggle to understand the basic concepts. And forget about knowing times tables and stuff like that. Mental math? Forget it!

12. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Nov 5, 2018

Wow. I'm glad you guys exist! Middle school kids eat me alive. I tried. Maybe it was the school I was at...but I found it verrrrrrrry rough. I like their senses of humor, but if given choice, I prefer my high schoolers. ....teenage attitude and all! Sooooo much easier for me. I wonder if it is also subject taught - I'm ELA, not Maths.