Disappointing day....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Sep 6, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 6, 2013

One of my students decided to destroy the paint job on my lockers (that took me a week this summer). I don't have the time or opportunity to fix them before Back to School night on Tuesday.

I'm so disappointed - he's been acting out lately, but he's usually just really active/talkative - not destructive. Ugh. Just needed to vent.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what they looked like before:
    [​IMG]

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 6, 2013

Double UGH - why don't my picture links work?

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Sep 6, 2013

Oh geez, that's frustrating. Could you tape something cute over the damage? Or hang student work?

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2013

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 6, 2013

I'll probably use Command clips (love me some Command!) to hang student work.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 6, 2013

Are his parents coming to back to school night? You might be able to show them what he did!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

I can't see the pictures, but from your post I can imagine he did quite a job on them.

How did that happen? And how do you know who did it? Is there a procedure in place to prevent someone else from doing something similar?

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 7, 2013

Our back to school night is not supposed to be treated like a conference - it's simply a time to give a general overview of the program and not to speak about specifics. I would check about your school's 'goal' for the evening.

I would invite the parents in for a conference and show them the damage. Perhaps with the parents' help, the student can come up with a way to 'fix' this mistake.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

:hugs:

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2013

I know how you feel, there's nothing worse than a student taking a tantrum and destroying something you worked very hard to make look nice. It's happened to me many times. Last year I had a violent student and when he went after the bulletin boards I was actually happy because it meant he wasn't going after any of the children. But the worst part is trying to act like it's not bothering me at all so as not to make it worse. I would say to him, "If you want to make the choice to destroy that you know what the consequence will be" (he'd clean up the mess, I'd call his dad, the guidance counselor would come remove him from the room) But I really just wanted to scream in his face and be like, "Do you know how long it took me to put that up get your hands off it!!!!"

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 7, 2013

He didn't have a tantrum. He hid behind the kids lining up to go to enrichment (specials) and quickly scratched off the paint with his fingernails. I think he was just seeing if he could get away with it. I had turned away from the line long enough to answer an intercom call from the office (of course). I contacted mom immediately - by text (we're on good terms), and even sent her the pictures. Because it is destruction of school property, I completed a referral. This was Friday afternoon, and I haven't heard what the consequences will be. His mom asked if he could help re-paint them, but because of his age (8), I don't want him exposed to the paint fumes. For back to school night, I'll cover the damage with student work (which I will put up anyway). I've never had anyone do anything like this. I think we will discuss it as a class on Monday morning.